Abusive Comments and Thumbs Up/Down

Comments

• RuSuRuSu Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    I'm taking a beating today, too, John. As I write this, your shot has the most comments (11) & the shot's in 6th position. My shot is next with # of comments (9) & it's in 15th position.

It seems this nut case has become even more compulsive & vindictive.

LISTEN SMUGMUG!!

johnloguk wrote: »
    Now this is really interesting. Since I added my last post complaining that someone was manipulating the rankings today, my photo has suffered hugely! So I deduce from that the scumbag manipulator is reading this thread :)

OK moron, if you're out there, stop playing little children and hiding behind anonymity, what exactly is your game, is your life so sad and empty that you take pleasure in manipulating the rankings on a tiny little photographic community?

I've got a bit of spare time myself today, let's have a little chat wings.gif
  • AchBeeAchBee Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2012
    RuSu wrote: »
    I'm taking a beating today, too, John. As I write this, your shot has the most comments (11) & the shot's in 6th position. My shot is next with # of comments (9) & it's in 15th position.

LISTEN SMUGMUG!!

Sad.. but true.. and it's unfortunate that the snake(s) don't even have to be LOGGED IN to use the master Daily Favorites SM Gallery where thumbs are present - the least secure place.. to continually TD, clear cookies and TD again - over and over till those who the snake is somehow competing with drop into obscurity.

I'm about done... not sure where I'll be when SM comes around..
  • johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012

LISTEN SMUGMUG!!

You're right Susan, I was just doing some counting myself. At one point the top photo, which is great by the way, had half as many comments as both of ours, and yet we weren't even on the first page.

I will be interested in Smug's response, if it is along the lines of "chill guys, it's only a bit of fun" then I'm off. A couple of years ago some people on the Dailies actually felt that someone at Smug was manipulating the rankings, simply because it seemed so difficult to do it without special access to the codes etc. Maybe this is paranoia, and I'm not going to bandy names around because that wouldn't be right without clear proof, but I am paying a lot of money for a professional service and I'm not a happy bunny about a lot of things right now.
    edited May 5, 2012
    I was ready to leave last year, but just before my renewal SM announced the new galleries look & that the thumbs were going to be eliminated, so I decided to stick with them - there are, after all, some real positives to SM. The only thing holding me back at this point is how to transfer all my galleries with captions & keywords to another service. If you figure that out, let me know.

Today's actions are over-the-top!

For the record, yesterdays top 5 shots listed in order of most # of comments:

1. LGood (39) - 14th position
    2. Firefly (36) - 1st position
    3. Godschild (33) - 15th position
    4. Kenneth-Cole (31) - 2nd position
    5. Fotoeffects (30) - 4th position

I have to add that I think it's counter-productive for any of us to keep commenting on our own photos even when being attacked, just to try to bump up. I seems childish to me & if everyone starts doing it, the community will be pure chaos & rather pointless. One person gave himself 13 comments just to counter the attack..,.
    AchBee wrote: »
    Sad.. but true.. and it's unfortunate that the snake(s) don't even have to be LOGGED IN to use the master Daily Favorites SM Gallery where thumbs are present - the least secure place.. to continually TD, clear cookies and TD again - over and over till those who the snake is somehow competing with drop into obscurity.

I'm about done... not sure where I'll be when SM comes around..
    edited May 5, 2012
    I was ready to leave last year, but just before my renewal SM announced the new galleries look & that the thumbs were going to be eliminated, so I decided to stick with them - there are, after all, some real positives to SM. The only thing holding me back at this point is how to transfer all my galleries with captions & keywords to another service. If you figure that out, let me know.

Today's actions are over-the-top!

For the record, yesterdays top 5 shots listed in order of most # of comments:

1. LGood (39) - 14th position
    2. Firefly (36) - 1st position
    3. Godschild (33) - 15th position
    4. Kenneth-Cole (31) - 2nd position
    5. Fotoeffects (30) - 4th position

I have to add that I think it's counter-productive for any of us to keep commenting on our own photos even when being attacked, just to try to bump up. I seems childish to me & if everyone starts doing it, the community will be pure chaos & rather pointless. One person gave himself 13 comments just to counter the attack..,.

I agree, we can easily descend to their level. I even feel guilty counting comments like this because it makes me look petty or just upset that I'm not number one ne_nau.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    He, he... just for the fun if it: in this moment, this beautiful photo with 4 pages of comments is on the position 14, while all the others above have only 2 pages of comments:

http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos/popular/today/1829330901_KQSpt4K#!i=1742021219&k=nzb87xb

rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited May 5, 2012
    He, he... just for the fun if it: in this moment, this beautiful photo with 4 pages of comments is on the position 14, while all the others above have only 2 pages of comments:

http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos/popular/today/1829330901_KQSpt4K#!i=1742021219&k=nzb87xb

rolleyes1.gif

At the moment RuSu's pic is ranked 14th, but on comments should be 2nd, and mine is in 36th with 1 less comment. There are a few other anomalies, but I think Susan and I have definitely ruffled someone's feathers today, and not for the first time. The lack of a response from Smug today is intriguing.
    edited May 5, 2012
    In fact Susan's stunning portrait pic is actually 23rd not 14th, but on comments should be 2nd. It is ridiculous.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    In fact Susan's stunning portrait pic is actually 23rd not 14th, but on comments should be 2nd. It is ridiculous.

Oh, ho.... BIG anomalies here - somebody's really playing games!!!

Rusu's and yours (even worse), are down the slide.... wow, unbelievable - almost hilarious :)

According to the comments received, mine is not in the right position either - just because I noticed...

Dirty :eek1
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • AchBeeAchBee Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2012
    Oh, ho.... BIG anomalies here - somebody's really playing games!!!

Rusu's and yours (even worse), are down the slide.... wow, unbelievable - almost hilarious :)

According to the comments received, mine is not in the right position either - just because I noticed...

Dirty :eek1

Came back to the daily's at 9:40PM EST after most of day away to find we've been messed with just like you guys.. Fought it this morning for a while, but they came back after I corrected the slide. Sad. I'm done.. Can't share here... I'll check back and stay linked to the discussion, mostly out of curiosity but who needs this?
    HB
    edited May 6, 2012
    Aside from the Dailies...
    in case anyone hasn't noticed, being thumbs-downed all day, affects where your particular shot ends up in your individual 'most popular' gallery, if you have most popular photos set to appear on your individual site.

As I wake up this AM (I'm in Moscow), my yesterday's shot is 29th with 27 comments in the Daily Community - I'm too tired to check where it 'should' be based on comments, but the shot in 28th place has 13 comments.

What is perhaps even more disturbing is that all that downing places yesterday's shot on page 9 in position #266 in our 'most popular' gallery on our RuSu site. So, in fact, not only is this obsessive-compulsive nut case manipulating the Dailies, he/she is manipulating everyone's personal site as well.

Yes, I know I can turn off the 'most popular' gallery in our site settings, but quite honestly, I think it's nice for someone to be able to see what are hopefully your best, without having to go through individual galleries.

This is getting real old, SM.
    edited May 6, 2012
    AchBee wrote: »
    Came back to the daily's at 9:40PM EST after most of day away to find we've been messed with just like you guys.. Fought it this morning for a while, but they came back after I corrected the slide. Sad. I'm done.. Can't share here... I'll check back and stay linked to the discussion, mostly out of curiosity but who needs this?
    HB

I've threatened to leave more times than I can remember, and the only thing stopping me is my cussed nature and refusal to be beaten by it, but I'm pretty damn close again.

My photo yesterday was nothing special in an artistic way, but it showed a Smug "hands across the sea" get together. People that "met" on the Dailies about 4 years ago, who have shared images and virtual laughs, finally meeting up and having a great day. There is a great community on the Dailies, built up over a long time, although this sort of behaviour is steadily destroying it. Many of us now "meet" on facebook and other forums instead of the dailies, which says something.

It now looks as though those of us that have made a stand on this issue are being specifically targetted, but by whom? Are we seen as moaning minnies dragging down the positivity put about by Smug all the time? I hate conspiracy theories and paranoia, but I am feeling something a bit sinister going on here. Smug's lack of response for the last 24 hours is telling. Do they want this thread to die? Is it embarrassing to see it so high on the forum every day? If it is embarrassing, or if you just want us to shut up, then damn well fix the problem, because I'm not going to shut up!

OK, one simple question, how can images that on comments alone were ranked in the top 5, end up languishing in the high 20s and low 30s? Either your algorithms are f****d, or something more sinister is going on?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Smug's lack of response for the last 24 hours is telling.
    We love your passion. We answer emails 27/7 at our helpdesk - all within minutes, typically. This is a public support forum, and you're posting on a weekend. I'm the one that's been replying here, and I've been enjoying my family this weekend, my oldest kids suprised me by showing up for the weekend and we're celebrating my 50th. Sorry!
    edited May 6, 2012
    Andy, the only reason I started this thread was because dozens of us had brought this up with the 24 hr help desk going back 2-3 years and to be frank simply got palmed off.

We do appreciate your personal efforts, but you must also appreciate our immense frustration. Whoever kept attacking my image on the Dailies yesterday ruined my weekend and left me shaking with rage on more than one occasion, and believe me when I tell you that I am the most pragmatic, easy going and calmest person you could ever hope to meet. Last week we had a false dawn when taking away the thumbs did seem to stop the manipulator. But they've obviously found other ways round it and a couple of us have been targetted very heavily. How can images with the 3rd and 4th highest number of comments find themselves ranked in the high 20s and 30s?
  • jawsnapjawsnap Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2012
    Happy birthday Andy! And thank you for your attention to this, although I don't understand how it has become such a large and divisive issue.
    I have a lot of trouble believing there is a 'thumbs down bandit' or anyone maliciously affecting with the popularity. I'm not sure who would have that sort of spare time or determined focus. It seems that many assumptions are being made about how the popularity is determined, but in Don's post about the upcoming design, he says "As usual, we won't disclose specifics..." regarding PhotoRank. In other words, none of us know exactly why a photo gets to be #1 in this popularity contest. If a photo moves up or down, who are we to say that something sinister is going on?
    Personally, I feel like the popularity has become meaningless. The top ranked photos seem to be the same relatively small group of people that take the time to comment. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's just how it appears - a reflection of people's involvement in the community, rather than a reflection of photo quality. It's quite clique-ish.
    I've decided tomorrow will be my last day as a member of this daily photos community. I read this entire thread and found it very stressful, and I don't want to deal with it. More importantly, I don't appreciate that I lost my branding on my daily galleries without any notice. I pay $150/year for a pro account, and I want control.

I'd also like to add that this is the internet, people. Anyone around the world can look at your photos, and that's pretty awesome. Will some of them be jerks? Of course. You have to accept that.
  • dyuhasdyuhas Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Take a breath
    John,

You seem like an intelligent person who is obsessing over a ridiculous issue. You're pissed off that your photos aren't being ranked as high as you think they should be. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you need to use your photos to compete.

Shortly after I joined Smugmug I quickly came to the realization that Smugmug's photo ranking system is a joke. For the life of me I can't understand why you and the rest of the nice folks commenting on the board don't realize this.

Why not try bowling instead?
    edited May 6, 2012
    jawsnap wrote: »
    Happy birthday Andy! And thank you for your attention to this, although I don't understand how it has become such a large and divisive issue.
    I have a lot of trouble believing there is a 'thumbs down bandit' or anyone maliciously affecting with the popularity. I'm not sure who would have that sort of spare time or determined focus. It seems that many assumptions are being made about how the popularity is determined, but in Don's post about the upcoming design, he says "As usual, we won't disclose specifics..." regarding PhotoRank. In other words, none of us know exactly why a photo gets to be #1 in this popularity contest. If a photo moves up or down, who are we to say that something sinister is going on?
    Personally, I feel like the popularity has become meaningless. The top ranked photos seem to be the same relatively small group of people that take the time to comment. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's just how it appears - a reflection of people's involvement in the community, rather than a reflection of photo quality. It's quite clique-ish.
    I've decided tomorrow will be my last day as a member of this daily photos community. I read this entire thread and found it very stressful, and I don't want to deal with it. More importantly, I don't appreciate that I lost my branding on my daily galleries without any notice. I pay $150/year for a pro account, and I want control.

I'd also like to add that this is the internet, people. Anyone around the world can look at your photos, and that's pretty awesome. Will some of them be jerks? Of course. You have to accept that.

Good post, and thanks for the birthday wishes :D
    edited May 7, 2012
    Happy Birthday, Andy!
    Happy Birthday, Andy & congrats on the big 5-0!

I have to admit I do agree with much of what Jawsnap says. Yes, the Daily community is very clique-y. Sometimes it's downright amusing & childish - kind of like high school. Certainly SM can't control peoples' behavior & , as I said previously, no matter what the system/algorithm, people will always find a way to abuse it.

On the other hand, there are some truly talented photographers in the community and, unfortunately, it seems it's very difficult to get any feedback what-so-ever if you're not a member of the community. When I 1st joined SM, I was blown away by the quality of the photos on SM's overall 'most popular photos'. It's one of the reasons I joined SM - as a total amateur, I thought I could learn a lot being a SM member - plus I liked the features SM offered. Now, when I look at SM's overall most popular photos of the day, I see mostly social photos of snapshots taken in bars & clubs, and half naked women. Sure, these people have paid for SM's services & have just as much right to thumbs up their shots as anyone else, but it's kind of a turn-off, and it's the reason why I joined the Daily community. Kim (Scianghetti) mentioned 500PX in her post, so I checked out their site. It's impossible not to be impressed with the popular photos appearing on their homepage. It gives me the same impression I had of SM when I 1st joined.

Of course, no business can be all things to all people & everyone has a choice as to where they'll spend their money...

I think what all recent anger is about is that it seems someone is deliberately manipulating the Dailies and, if that is not the case, then SM's popularity algorithm is completely illogical. I don't think anyone's asking SM to reveal it's algorithm, but I do think it needs to be innately understandable. I think most people in the community understand that if the #2 photo has a couple more comments than the #1shot, it's easily explained by the fact that the overall SM community & the WWW is much larger than the Daily community. The present anger is not about these types of occurrences, but about seemingly gross distortions. All anyone wants is a level playing field - or as level as possible.

Here's hoping SM implements their new system [and gallery layouts] sooner rather than later.

Enjoy the rest of your milestone birthday weekend!
    edited May 7, 2012
    Haha and now the backlash begins!

If people who have come late to this would bother to read the whole thread they'd see that this has been going on for years and this isn't just a little obsession of mine. I'm well aware of the politics and silly shenanegins that goes on on the dailies, imaginary friends and other tactics to boost photos. I'm also well aware that the best images are rarely the most popular, timing of uploads has a lot more to do with who is popular. I also don't give a s**t whether my images are popular or not, please read the thread and understand that.

But if anyone here thinks it is OK to censor someone else's work, to make them disappear from a photographic community, then please stand up and say so, and stop hiding behind insinuations and misinterpetations.

Finally, we all know the rankings aren't based on comments or thumbs alone, but please explain who images that have the 3rd and 4th highest number of comments in a day end up ranked in the high 20s and 30s? How can images with 10 comments rank higher than those with nearly 30? Something is wrong here.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself, just read the thread. Either I'm a self obsessed liar or there is a genuine issue here as many others have pointed out. I've put my head above the parapet on this one when many others have literally suffered in silence then left Smug.

I say again. if it's a glitch then fix it, but the evidence suggests a lot more is going on.
    edited May 7, 2012
    Again....
    Being attacked again today simply because someone thinks I'm a communist... Lot of right-wing, holy-roller, holier-than-thou Smuggers. Sad.
  • dyuhasdyuhas Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Sharing your images is one thing. Competing for a high photo rank is another.

Sadly, I have read the entire thread. It's a constant whine by you and a few others to the effect that someone out there is screwing with the photo ranking system. That may be the case, and then again, it might not be. Smugmug's photo ranking algorithm is opaque. To the best of my knowledge Smugmug was never designed as a competitive arena. The Smugmug home page makes no mention of competition.

My final post on this topic.
    edited May 7, 2012
    To "dyuhas", you're free to express your opinion of course, shame you took the time to read the whole thread after all, but still obviously didn't digest a word of it.

You might not be back to read this, but many others will be, so at risk of being misinterpreted as a moaning minnie again here is the issue;

It isn't about competition, it isn't about wanting our images to be "popular", it is about fairness and reasonable behaviour. It isn't about visitors being critical of images, we all welcome that with open arms, it is about people being able to censor images by making them disappear, which surely no one is going to defend?

The thread was initially about obscene and offensive comments as well as the thumbing system. Luckily that level of comment is rare, but they do happen from time to time. Some of us wanted assurances from Smug that the perpetrators would be dealt with. Andy gave that assurance early on.

It has become more about the thumbs system because person or persons unknown have been abusing it to the extreme and they continue to this day. The issue was never actually about the thumbs either, we all accept that they are a bit of fun, the issue was people using them repeatedly to make images disappear. No one is 100% sure that that is what people are doing, but no one has been able to find a better explanation for what we've seen with our eyes for several years now.

We know the ranking algorithm is complex, and will never be perfect, and we don't expect perfection either. Andy worked hard on this, removed the thumbs from the Daily Community, but it appears that they are still visible in certain circumstances.

We think there can only be two explanations for the strange things seen on the Dailies with regard to rankings. Either the ranking algorithm is severely flawed, or someone is manipulating the rankings. It isn't a question of images with 10 comments being ranked just behind those with 8, it isn't even close. Some days images with over 30 comments can be well below those with less than 10. Some days it is possible to watch images drop rapidly down the rankings despite receiving new comments. Certain people do get targetted more than others, those of us that have brought the issue up here have been targetted more than most recently. We are not paranoid :ivar

The simplest suggestion to rectify this, with the proviso that it is only us lay-smuggers that are suggesting it, is keep the green thumbs but remove the red ones.

If occasionally we get angry about this please understand that it is very frustrating, especially when people misrepresent what we're trying to do, and accuse us of being glory hunters of some kind, or worse.
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    First, let me say that in the years I have been part of Smug, they have VERY rarely disappointed me with helping me with my site, troubleshooting with me, customer service for orders and the quality of prints and products ordered. ALL of it, in my personal experience, has been number one. Quality of products, especially, has far outdone the other site I belong to.

I DO completely understand what John L is saying and RuSu. I also understand what Andy is saying.

My concerns are not so much the bad thumber (probably because I have been either relatively unaffected or blissfully unaware) but the loss of personal branding to my galleries linked to the Daily community.

On the bad thumber issue, the reason it would be an issue to me is that when I do post to the Dailies, I post there because I would like some feedback (honest, thoughtful, photographically helpful feedback) positive or negative from the good folks in the Daily community. There are a number of really good photographers there and I would like their opinions and help on my work. If the bad thumbing means that no one can SEE what I have posted, then heck, why am I bothering???

On the stars issue that someone (yes, I did read the entire thread, just can't remember the name at the moment) posted about, I agree. Everyone gives 5 stars and it is now meaningless. When I first joined the dailies, I explained for a long time that I don't give 5 stars, that my 'standard' is 4 in order to leave room for the really fabulous ones to get a 5. But that didn't go over so well, and everybody else was giving 5 stars, so I let myself fall prey to peer pressure. rolleyes1.gif

But for Andy, my main issue is what jawsnap said. Without notice (not that it would have been any better with notice) I lost my branding on galleries connected to the Dailies. My heading banner contained my logo and also my drop down nav bar. When I post/share my Daily photo on facebook or twitter, visitors to my smugsite from fb and twitter now have no way to easily navigate my site or see what other galleries/topics I offer.

Andy, I say this with all respect for you and others at Smug. I pay what to me is a lot of money every year for a pro site that has full customization properties. Since I know nothing about code and customizing, David Wolf did mine for me. When visitors to my smug site click on my galleries, I want them to see MY logo. I want them to have EASY access to MY GALLERIES. They are visitors that I have brought in from other means to see MY work. I want them to be able to EASILY navigate to MY other galleries. As it is now with the smug header that has replaced my banner and nav bar, it is confusing and difficult and there is no way to see my other galleries and click on one of them that they may be attracted to.

I did email cs about this and was told that with the new change to the Daily community, there was nothing I could do about it. Unless I want to create a duplicate Daily gallery that is not connected to the Daily community, double post my image to both the one connected to the Daily community and the duplicate one and share the image with fb, twitter, etc from the one on the duplicate gallery. headscratch.gif

Yes, that would work. But again, I pay a lot to have a pro site that should be able to have MY header on each of my galleries.

This is far more important to me than the thumbs. I really don't care if I am on page 1 or page 10 or whatever of the Daily community, but I DO want my header back, and I DO want the Daily community to be able to see my photo in order to give me some feedback on it.

Andy, is there a way that I can achieve those two things with the new Daily changes? I saw the fix that Tatiana posted, but I am not sure that that will address my header issue. And I am loathe to mess with anything David Wolf set up so well for me.

My site is at http://www.kdstewart.net if you need to see what I mean. This year's Daily gallery for me is at http://www.kdstewart.net/Whats-New/Images-from-2012-dailies/21342710_3FH6pv#!i=1843203319&k=cNkg9Zn

Thanks,

Kara
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    kds1 wrote: »
    Andy, is there a way that I can achieve those two things with the new Daily changes? I saw the fix that Tatiana posted, but I am not sure that that will address my header issue. And I am loathe to mess with anything David Wolf set up so well for me.

Kara, I'm very sorry but with the fix in place to hide the thumbs, it's not possible for any member of the community to have their own branding on community galleries. I wish there would be a way.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • HershyHershy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Hi,

This is my fourth year as a member of the Daily community and have faced the problem of my pictures getting thumbed down OUT OF THE gallery a number of times. I became a member of Daily so that I could share my pictures with others and people could comment on them as I could, on their pictures. It has been a great time being there and have made friends and learnt from comments and pictures of others. I was away for a few days and thought that the problem is solved with the removal of THUMBS UP/DOWN feature from the Daily post gallery but to my shock found that my picture today was thrown out within an hour or two of posting. I managed to get it back and it received more than 15 comments before it was thrown out again! Can you please explain how this can happen?
    edited May 18, 2012
    As I was writing the earlier post, my picture is ONCE AGAIN thrown out of the Daily posting!!!
    http://hershy.smugmug.com/Photography/Daily-Photos-Fourth-year/19778781_VrhcRV#!i=1765061276&k=Q3L5jfv
    edited May 18, 2012
    Hershy wrote: »
    Hi,

This is my fourth year as a member of the Daily community and have faced the problem of my pictures getting thumbed down OUT OF THE gallery a number of times. I became a member of Daily so that I could share my pictures with others and people could comment on them as I could, on their pictures. It has been a great time being there and have made friends and learnt from comments and pictures of others. I was away for a few days and thought that the problem is solved with the removal of THUMBS UP/DOWN feature from the Daily post gallery but to my shock found that my picture today was thrown out within an hour or two of posting. I managed to get it back and it received more than 15 comments before it was thrown out again! Can you please explain how this can happen?

Link to the photo?
    edited May 19, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Link to the photo?

Hi Andy,

Just as I finished posting the comment I found that once again my picture was thrown out and came back and mentioned that with the link. Sorry for not mentioning in the original post.

Here's my follow-up comment:

As I was writing the earlier post, my picture is ONCE AGAIN thrown out of the Daily posting!!!
    http://hershy.smugmug.com/Photograph...1276&k=Q3L5jfv
    edited May 19, 2012
    Hershy wrote: »
    Hi Andy,

Just as I finished posting the comment I found that once again my picture was thrown out and came back and mentioned that with the link. Sorry for not mentioning in the original post.

Here's my follow-up comment:

http://hershy.smugmug.com/Photograph...1276&k=Q3L5jfv

Here is another image that is suffering the same fate, as I type it isn't showing despite several comment;

http://nfry.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Photos/23003434_DwQLWj#!i=1854859954&k=pLXT25N

This is a beautiful photo by a newcomer to the dailies, not a good welcome to have your images made to disappear.

I had thought that the issue had gone away as I'd not seen anything this week, but I woke to several personal emails from people who have been affected, and I see people complaining about it again on their pics this morning. The top image has many less comments than Paul Bellinger's for instance.
    edited May 31, 2012
    Andy,

You guys guys have removed the Thumbs feature which is a welcome step. Unfortunately the feature is still available at Current Popular Today gallery and concerned people are working from there to push down pictures. This is very obvious if you look at the no. of comments and stars received. For example check my pic
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos/popular/today#!i=1860789947&k=6x8Frx4
    IndigioStudio has commented :
    "I never really know what constitutes the order of images in the Daily Community. It would be nice--since there are no more red or green thumbs in this forum--if ranking was simply based on how many comments and stars. As I write this you have 22 comments, I didn't count the stars. But you are #21 at the top of the 2nd page. The #18 and 19 photos have 17 comments each. I am #21 with 19 comments. It is sad that the snake has so much free time that they can spend their time being malicious."

My question is, if you could take off the feature from the Daily gallery why can't it also be done at the other?