3rd party batteries

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited May 8, 2012 in Accessories
Has anyone had experience with 3rd party batteries? Specifically for a 1Ds II?

I bought a 3rd party once for my 40D and it crapped out within 4 months and I had to return it.

And I need to buy new batteries for my Ds (because they're getting old, and I think I may have lost one).
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Ive used SterlingTek.com BP511 batteries for my Canon DSLRs with no problems. They seem to last as long as Canon batteries, but have a higher storage capacity so they last longer on a shoot. And they're about half the price of the name brand.

A lot of pros prefer to stick with nothing but brand-name batts on principal alone. If you can afford it, it's great, but when you're on a budget, third-party batteries, so long as they are from a reputable vendor, are a good way to save a few bucks without sacrificing anything.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Unfortunately Sterling Tek doesn't carry Ds batteries
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Had nothing but bad experience with 3d party batteries for several various sources. Ended up using Canon only, never had a problem - cheaper and safer to have 2 reliable Canon batteries than 4..6 non-reliable ones... I know other folks say they used 3d party w/o any problem, so it may be just me...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 20, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Had nothing but bad experience with 3d party batteries for several various sources. Ended up using Canon only, never had a problem - cheaper and safer to have 2 reliable Canon batteries than 4..6 non-reliable ones... I know other folks say they used 3d party w/o any problem, so it may be just me...
    No, I tend to be a 1st party person too. But they are expensive :) So I thought I would ask.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Mnemosyne wrote: »
    No, I tend to be a 1st party person too. But they are expensive :) So I thought I would ask.
    Come think of it, if you're operating a $4K..$7K body with a $2K..$6K lens, $60 for a battery is such a grain of sand in a desert...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 20, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Come think of it, if you're operating a $4K..$7K body with a $2K..$6K lens, $60 for a battery is such a grain of sand in a desert...
    I'm still new.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    FWIW I have had good luck with a Pearstone battery for my 40D. Use it interchangeably with the Canon one, and never noticed a difference.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 20, 2012
    I bought a 3rd party battery at the same time that I bought my 40d (years and years ago!) - so I had 1 new 3rd party battery & 1 new Canon battery. I found that the 3rd party battery needed to be replaced in half of the time as the Canon battery. Since then I've stuck with Canon batteries.

--- Denise
    edited April 20, 2012
    I'm more concerned about my 1Ds II than my 40D though :)

It seems like my 7D battery lasts longer than both my 1Ds batteries.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 20, 2012
    I have 3 - third-party batteries for my Canon 1D MKII bodies, from 2 different vendors. (The same batteries also fit the 1Ds MKII.) Unfortunately, both vendors no longer exist.

I suggest just purchasing from B&H. They try to only stock quality brands and drop whatever doesn't last.

The Pearstones are getting good reviews:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538793-REG/Pearstone_NPE3_NP_E3_NiMH_Battery_12V.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    The brand Phottix makes excellent batteries. They also sell higher end self branded 3rd party studio gear, flash accessories and vertical grips, all with very good reviews. They even have physical stores in Europe.

I've used the same 2 batteries I bought in 2009 for 3 years 2 months with a 5D Mark II, a 7D I've had for a year, and now I'm using them in the 5D MKIII. At 2000mAH they last as long, or longer, than the Canon batteries I use, but without a chip to report capacity. I use 2 Phottix and 2 Canon numbered 1-4, and I rotate them in order whenever one dies, in whichever camera. I've got roughly 13,000 actuations on each battery since my MKII just hit 50K and my 7D is somewhere around 3K, and there is no sign of memory or exhaustion of rechargeability on any of them.

http://www.phottixstore.com/store/batteries.html
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    I have two pearstones from B&H, and they have been fine.
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I have a Pearstone (good) and a Flashpoint (doesn't hold as much charge, weighs a lot less too) for my D200. I also have a 3rd party of some kind (I forget what it is) for my D60 that is fine. If you go with brands that other people have had good success with, you'll probably do fine.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I've had two different 3rd party batteries for my 7d.

The first one - unchipped, so only uses its own charger - is impossible to distinguish from the OEM battery. Holds its charge as long, works perfetly.

The newer one - chipped, so both charger and camera recognize it - seems to run down much faster than the OEM one.

I don't have a problem using 3rd party batteries, although I'm disappointed they seem to be inconsistent ne_nau.gif
  • kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Unfortunately Sterling Tek doesn't carry Ds batteries

That's too bad.

FWIW (doesn't help the OP but for anyone interested in batteries for other bodies), I've used Sterlingteks in three different models, for three different bodies for years. They have always been top quality and terrific performers. If you find a good brand and stick with it, I think OEM batteries are one of the few exceptions to 'you get what you pay for', which is more often the rule in photo gear.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 2, 2012
    I've used Sterlingtek and Pearstone alongside Canon's batteries, and have never been able to tell the difference. Someone besides Canon makes their batteries and it might just be them. That said, if a third party battery ever explodes, the camera's warranty might just explode too.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    For my DSLRs I use only Nikon batteries but even they have been recalled I have never had one subject to it. I do use 3rd parties in my point and shoots. Mostly as a backup to bridge the gap while the other recharges. I still buy my 3rd party from a reputable vendor. It is easy to get a counterfeit or crap battery out there in the internet world. One of the biggest factors in batteries is quality control of the products(elementsand chemicals) they use to make them. I use a lot of batteries other than cameras with my work. Cheap gets you just that.
    Sure the big camera manufactures got you by the short hairs and make a bit of mark up on accsessories like batteries but they care a bit more on what goes into the equipment and their reputation.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Louisville, KYPosts: 1 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    I bought my first 3rd party battery in February...it's a Pearstone from B&H and it's for a G12, a camera basically only used on bicycle trips. It may not last for years, but it holds its charge a lot longer than the Canon battery that came with the camera.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    About a couple of months ago I bought a Duracell branded BP511 for early xxD bodies for about a tenner (£) as a spare to send out to younger daughter currently in W.Africa. Prior to despatch,I charged same and used it in my 40D, getting approx 1k frames, before removing (still showing a charge) it.
    I thought this was decent performance - although I obviously have no idea how long it'll last - and re the 'name game', I'd suggest that Duracell also have one they'd like to keep relatively clean.

I'd prefer to save money for the big(ger) ticket items where there's no alternative.

pp
  • chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    I'm with Nikolai on this one. Nothing but bad experiences with them. From short shelf life to not being recognized in camera. I recommend saving the time and aggravation and get the real deal.

www.rhinobldg.com
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    The only 3rd party batteries I've ever used for my 1Dc and N were Lenmars.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.