Options

Frames Per Second slowed by card?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited May 15, 2012 in Cameras
I'm only getting 5fps out of my 5D3. Even in jpeg and manual exposure. My best card is a few years old, a Lexar Pro 8gb 300x. Is the card to blame?
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited May 9, 2012
    I'm only getting 5fps out of my 5D3. Even in jpeg and manual exposure. My best card is a few years old, a Lexar Pro 8gb 300x. Is the card to blame?

The camera records images firstly onto the "shot buffer" of the camera. The shot buffer is the primary determinant of image storage speeds (up to the limits of the shot buffer capacity.)

The things that can affect burst speed are:
    • Shutter speed, longer shutter speeds result in a slower burst rate.
    • High-ISO noise reduction, at the strong noise reduction setting it has a noticeable effect on the burst rate.
    • High-ISO in general can reduce burst speeds.
    • I think that the 5D MKIII has the ability to detect light flicker and implement a strategy to prevent the flicker from affecting AF and metering accuracy. I believe that would affect the speed to first shot and that the burst rate might also be affected. (I could not immediately find the reference however.)
    • Do not use AI Servo for static subjects. AI Servo, by design, samples subject motion and will try to calculate future prime focus based on the sampled speed and rate of change. The effect on static subjects is unpredictable focus behavior. One-Shot AF is correct for (relatively) static subjects.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    From what I remember the manual says 1/500th a sec for the maximum FPS
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Yeap, page 113. Read up! :D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    I just tested against my Kingston 600x 16Gb. I got nearly indefinite 7fps for Large Smooth Jpeg, and just one second of 7 fps for RAW + Large Smooth JPEG, after which it filled the buffer and slowed down to 0.5.. 1fps.
    Shot in full manual (exposure and focus) to exclude possible delays on exposure calculation and AF.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2012
    7? Are you sure?

Anyway, yes, my first test was at ISO 1600, so I tried again at 200. I got 6fps for the first second, then 5fps for another 2 seconds until the buffer filled. (raw)

Oh well, maybe I need a new card if Nikolai is right, but I rarely shoot bursts longer than a second anyway!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    7? Are you sure?

Anyway, yes, my first test was at ISO 1600, so I tried again at 200. I got 6fps for the first second, then 5fps for another 2 seconds until the buffer filled. (raw)

Oh well, maybe I need a new card if Nikolai is right, but I rarely shoot bursts longer than a second anyway!

I've found that bursts are all I need on the 7D, although, in the time I have shot longer using a 300x card, the camera rarely slows down on me. While we're talking a completely different body, I've found that shooting on High just leads to me having way too many images....it's appropriate for sports, but even then the burst seems sufficient.

Maybe I'm a fool.

As an aside, still can't make up my mind on the MkIII.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2012
    7? Are you sure?
    What, do I need to provide a notary now? mwink.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    bowdown.gifbow hahahaha
    Nikolai wrote: »
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    It's likely the card. Here's a fantastic resource for card speeds on the 5d mk iii. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12452
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »

Laughing.gif, it's just that Canon doesn't even claim that! Wouldn't you think they would if they could?

Thanks Eyal, good reference. I'd seen that a few years ago but forgotten about it. Looks like I'd want a Lexar Pro 1000x 16gb. GREAT, another $150 I don't want to spend. (just replaced a lost tripod - fun!)

This is the ONE time I ever shot a sustained burst on my 7D:

FAA8CDE464FF4F768C7F318F911EEB1B.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited May 9, 2012
    7? Are you sure?

From this page (bolds are mine to highlight specifics):

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

"Continuous Shooting Speed
    High-speed: Maximum approx. 6 shots/sec.

Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.

Silent continuous shooting: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.

Maximum Burst
    ·JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 65 shots (approx. 16270 shots)

·RAW: Approx. 13 shots (approx. 18 shots)

·RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 7 shots (approx. 7 shots)

*Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) and a 8 GB card.

*Figures in parentheses apply to an UDMA mode 7, 128 GB card based on Canon's testing standards."

Canon is saying that you should be able to shoot approximately 2 seconds at 6fps with almost any card, if you have the appropriate settings, which would pretty much be camera default and manual focus mode and very good light with the subject of a plain blue sky or plain white target (no detail or little detail). When in doubt, do a camera reset to get back to camera default settings.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2012
    Thanks Ziggy. I would think that single-shot AF wouldn't affect fps though.

Anyway, I think my camera is probably fine.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 9, 2012
    FWIW (if somebody wants to redo my test), I simply laid on a shutter and then went back to Preview mode and counted the number of frames that had the same HH:MM:SS value. Again, I did mine in full manual to measure pure righting speed...
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    It's likely the card. Here's a fantastic resource for card speeds on the 5d mk iii. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12452

My brand new 600x cards now look so not-up-to-speed.... Thank you VERY MUCH, Eyal! rolleyes1.gif
    mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    You're very welcome Nik
    I looked at the chart and current prices and decided that the Sandisk Extreme 32 hit the sweet spot for me. Respectable speeds at a good cost/gig.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    You're very welcome Nik
    I looked at the chart and current prices and decided that the Sandisk Extreme 32 hit the sweet spot for me. Respectable speeds at a good cost/gig.

looks like Lexar and Sandisk 32 GB cards are the best