How do you organize your camera stuff???

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited May 21, 2012 in The Big Picture
Mods, pls move if need be to appropriate forum.

So, I have a mess on my hands :scratch and I have to organize it. Let's see....I have got camera equipment, lighting equipment, background stuff, lots of props, books, dvds, memory cards, batteries and chargers, boxes of everything..cds/dvds, filing, computer, printer, magazines, camera bags and so on.

And I have one room...about 12 x 12....how in the world do I organize all this yet be accessible to me and I don't forget where i put what??

I am sure many of you have face similar challenges...or are in the same predicament...so, let's share ideas if we can.

:) :bow
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I don't have any ideas as I've found myself in the same predicament. Looking forward to some ideas...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • kdlanejrkdlanejr Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I don't have a single space large enough to store all photography related equipment. The best method I've found is to be consistent in where you store things. I try to keep lighting with lighting, light modifiers with light modifiiers, stands and tripods together, flash brackets together, flash systems separate but in their specific camera bags, one for canon speed lights and one for Quantum T5Dr's, turbo 2x2's, etc., think tank packed with a minimum of equipment that stays in it always.

So far the only thing that is still managing to hide from me is one 8gb sdhc card and that's out of about 40 different cards memory cards ranging from 4gb to 32gb and split between CF and SDHC formats.

Try to be consist in where you put things and storage becomes simpler.
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Well I read up on some tips and it appears that kdlanejr you are on right track there.

I am actually looking for a system of baskets/trays/shelves and so on that makes sense for photographers. To me, that is the first hurdle. Second is what you mention kdlanejr...keeping like things with like.

As to the first hurdle...the issue is that our equipment is all odd sizes...and for me, I would like to be able to see things. Sigghhhhh...an impossible task?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • kdlanejrkdlanejr Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    No, I don't think it's an impossible task.

Sam's sells a 6 shelf storage unit (wire racks) that rolls. It's extremely heavy duty and comes with shelf covers that keep small stuff from falling through. I find it works quite well for all types of storage.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Another vote for the bakers racks/wire racks. You can get them from costco, lowes, etc. They are the most cost effective storage I've found, and can hold hundreds of pounds per shelf. Then I have some plastic bins to hold the bits that are too small to sit on the shelf. Store sandbags on the bottom shelf for stability.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    I have an even smaller space that serves as storage, office, editing room. It is 8x8 and awkwardly designed so I'm also looking for a solution before I disappear under this stuff. If I manage to pull it together, I'll post a few shots!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    I gave up trying to organize everything myself and hired a professional organizer to come in and re-do my home office area (which is an un-used bedroom I converted to be my office, about 10x14 in size). I'll try to post pics later, but in a nutshell, here's how I have things organized. The key is to keep like things together and to use smaller containers (I use baskets) to keep items from running loose.

- I use a free standing tall cabinet with shelves and drawers (and doors to keep everything out of sight). Holds my camera bodies and lenses, speedlights, light meter, etc. In the drawers are dividers and containers which hold memory cards, camera straps, filters, cleaning supplies, various cords, chargers, spare batteries, etc.--bascially small stuff. Everything camera related is in this cabinet. Cords are labeled so I don't have to guess what they're for.

- In the closet I put in adjustable shelves. Holds my 24" rolls of printing paper, camera bags, books, photo magazines and my software library.

- In another free-standing cabinet are my general office supplies (envelopes, printer paper, ink, business cards, extra file folders, etc. Everything in this cabinet is further contained within plastic drawer bins or small storage boxes with lids and labeled so I know what's inside.

- I have a credenza which is my pack and wrap area. Contains scissors, tape, marking pens, wrapping paper, business cards, thankyou cards, tissue paper, etc.

- My larger gear such as lightstands, tripods, pop-up backdrops, softboxes, rolling camera bag, etc are in a walk-in closet outside my office. (Used to be a walk-in pantry.)

Hope this helps. The organizer and I set this system up about six months ago and it's made a huge difference for me---and I've been able to maintain keeping it neat and orderly.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    kd2 wrote: »
    I gave up trying to organize everything myself and hired a professional organizer to come in and re-do my home office area (which is an un-used bedroom I converted to be my office, about 10x14 in size). I'll try to post pics later, but in a nutshell, here's how I have things organized. The key is to keep like things together and to use smaller containers (I use baskets) to keep items from running loose.

- I use a free standing tall cabinet with shelves and drawers (and doors to keep everything out of sight). Holds my camera bodies and lenses, speedlights, light meter, etc. In the drawers are dividers and containers which hold memory cards, camera straps, filters, cleaning supplies, various cords, chargers, spare batteries, etc.--bascially small stuff. Everything camera related is in this cabinet. Cords are labeled so I don't have to guess what they're for.

- In the closet I put in adjustable shelves. Holds my 24" rolls of printing paper, camera bags, books, photo magazines and my software library.

- In another free-standing cabinet are my general office supplies (envelopes, printer paper, ink, business cards, extra file folders, etc. Everything in this cabinet is further contained within plastic drawer bins or small storage boxes with lids and labeled so I know what's inside.

- I have a credenza which is my pack and wrap area. Contains scissors, tape, marking pens, wrapping paper, business cards, thankyou cards, tissue paper, etc.

- My larger gear such as lightstands, tripods, pop-up backdrops, softboxes, rolling camera bag, etc are in a walk-in closet outside my office. (Used to be a walk-in pantry.)

Hope this helps. The organizer and I set this system up about six months ago and it's made a huge difference for me---and I've been able to maintain keeping it neat and orderly.

Sounds like a sensible system. Thanks for all of the detail. Now if the organization fairy would just come and do it FOR me... I know, in my dreams.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada