Options

2005 Subaru WRX

Eric_D70sEric_D70s Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 11, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Hi Everybody,

This is my first time posting here. Here are a couple of pictures I took early yesterday morning of my 2005 Subaru WRX. I am still learning to shoot cars. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Eric

Subie-3-L.jpg
Subie-2-L.jpg
Subie-1-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Welcome to the forum ! Very tough subject to shoot well, but it looks like you are doing a good job, and are well on your way. Keep posting !
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Shooting cars can be a load of fun, but can also be a real challenge. I break the project down to two basic levels....one I call " documentary " shooting, the other I call " artsy " shooting.

In documentary shooting, you're trying to present your subject simply as it is....or as you see it. Avoid fancy angles ( like in your third shot in this series ) as they don't add anything constructive and can be distracting. When possible, choose a simple, sterile background that offers no elements that can compete with the car for attention. You've done well in this series in that regard. When shooting car shows, you lose the element of control over many aspects...car placement, background, lighting, etc., etc. Do the best you can under these circumstances but remember to KEEP IT SIMPLE. Fill the frame with the car, as you've done here. Your main goal should be to give people a look at the car, devoid of any " artsy " interpretations on your part.

Then you have what I call artsy shooting. Here, you'll explore abstract angles, closeup work, and other techniques....such as creative lighting.... that let you showcase the car in a more interpretive fashion. Nothing says you can't combine the two approaches in a single shoot. I've found, though, that when you have only a few frames to present cars as you may find at a show, it's best to stick mostly to the documentary approach. But, as in most all of photography, there are very few absolutes. You decide what's best for you.

One thing you will find imperative....get a high-quality circular polarizer and learn how to use it. From an equipment consideration, nothing you can do will help you as much as doing that.

Good luck. Let us see what you can do.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2012
    Thanks Lensmole. I really appreciate it! I will be posting more pictures soon :).
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2012
    Black Mamba, thank you for the project break down explanation. This will help me to produce better pictures. Also I will invest in a high-quality circular polarizer. Is there a particular brand you recommend? Also I will be sure to keep posting more pictures :).
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Eric_D70s wrote: »
    Black Mamba, thank you for the project break down explanation. This will help me to produce better pictures. Also I will invest in a high-quality circular polarizer. Is there a particular brand you recommend? Also I will be sure to keep posting more pictures :).

Several camera manufacturers market excellent filters of all types....the Nikon line is good stuff. All of my filters are made by either Singh-Ray or B+W....both are top-of-the-line products. There are other brands that are good as well. Buy the highest quality you can afford.

Good shooting,

Tom

BTW, I had a 2004 Subaru Forester that I modified extensively. It was putting out 318 HP at the wheels....about 370 HP at the crank. It was a real sleeper.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    Thanks for the tip Black Mamba! That must have been an awesome sleeper!

-Eric