Options

Husband's Head

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited May 11, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
My hubby made this in art class back in HS. Thought I'd photograph it. These were taken outside using light from the setting sun.

1 --

i-WGrpRZZ-L.jpg

2 --

i-xRmmSQk-L.jpg

3 --

i-LBTdqvg-L.jpg

4 -- I don't like how the ear is catching the sun. Thought of taking the ear off. Any ideas on this?

i-h3kV98C-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Interesting, Mary. I think the last one is the composition that grabs me the most. I wonder how it would look in black and white.
  • Options
    rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Easter Island comes to North Dakota!:D

Try it with stereo headphones on, or cool shades. Or drill a hole in the mouth and put a cigarette in there? Does he have a female friend (the head, I mean)?
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Nice series Mary K. my favorites are the first one and the last one. I think I would take the ear off or at least calm it down a bit........
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    The angle of view sure makes a difference in my perception of, and reaction to, this sculpture. I really prefer the last shot because the " person " looks most like the real thing ( even a bit of a stretch there ). I applaud the artist for having the skills necessary to create this piece. I'll bet there is quite an interesting story behind the head...such as: what was the prime motive to do this particular work, why this subject?

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Interesting, Mary. I think the last one is the composition that grabs me the most. I wonder how it would look in black and white.

I'll give the last one a try at BW :D Thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Easter Island comes to North Dakota!:D

Try it with stereo headphones on, or cool shades. Or drill a hole in the mouth and put a cigarette in there? Does he have a female friend (the head, I mean)?

There is another head he did, but not female. I did have some shades on it. Looked kinda neat too. I'll photograph that next time. Thank you for all the suggestions. I can have fun with this :D

Never thought of Easter Island .. I should of titled it Easter Island in ND :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Nice series Mary K. my favorites are the first one and the last one. I think I would take the ear off or at least calm it down a bit........

Howdy Gary :D
    That ear just bugs the heck out of me. I'll rework it to calm it down some.
    Glad you enjoyed the series of photos. Thanks for commenting :D
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    The angle of view sure makes a difference in my perception of, and reaction to, this sculpture. I really prefer the last shot because the " person " looks most like the real thing ( even a bit of a stretch there ). I applaud the artist for having the skills necessary to create this piece. I'll bet there is quite an interesting story behind the head...such as: what was the prime motive to do this particular work, why this subject?

Take care,

Tom

Hi Tom :D

I asked John why the head and he said "I did faces when drawing so I did a head with clay. Tried doing one with hair and it didn't look good so I went to something that looked more primitive and bald. Little did I know that later it would be a self portrait" rolleyes1.gif

The artist of the head likes #3. I was wondering if the angle of the shot would have people seeing the head differently. Thanks for letting me know it did with you.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Never thought of Easter Island .. I should of titled it Easter Island in ND :Dthumb.gif

It does have a strong resemblance :D

easter-island-fungus.jpg
    i-xRmmSQk-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2012
    It does have a strong resemblance :D

easter-island-fungus.jpg
    i-xRmmSQk-L.jpg

Oh soooo cool!!!!! There is some resemblance :D This version of the head is my favorite. I even left the different color specks in the clay.

Here's another photo I took the evening I was photographing the head.

i-PbMd6m4-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2012
    You mentioned before about titles... perhaps this one should be called "Sometimes I get so frustrated I have to put my head in my hands..." rolleyes1.gif
    Here's another photo I took the evening I was photographing the head.

i-PbMd6m4-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2012
    You mentioned before about titles... perhaps this one should be called "Sometimes I get so frustrated I have to put my head in my hands..." rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    these are really interesting, different! I like the first and last! I think the way you captured the head ads to the mystery. :)
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Think your off to a good start with this effort Mary. Figuring out which "pose" works best with the light you were using at the time, and what other features complement the piece in a setting. Given that the figure has both smooth mildly defined and stronger more developed features, I'd say one has their work cut out for themselves finding just the right combination of shooting angle and such just as you are striving towards nicely here. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Think your off to a good start with this effort Mary. Figuring out which "pose" works best with the light you were using at the time, and what other features complement the piece in a setting. Given that the figure has both smooth mildly defined and stronger more developed features, I'd say one has their work cut out for themselves finding just the right combination of shooting angle and such just as you are striving towards nicely here. :D

Howdy Michael :D

I had a heck of a time photographing this head. His nostrils were really posing a problem. Always looked like dark holes on his face. Finally I moved him to the corner of the yard on a rock that was there. The angle of the setting sun didn't have the nostrils casting such a dark shadow.

I'll keep working on this guy tho :D
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    Eia wrote: »
    these are really interesting, different! I like the first and last! I think the way you captured the head ads to the mystery. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner .. I missed your posting.

I"m glad you found these interesting and different. I was hoping for that. Thanks for commenting .. again sorry I was so late in responding.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    rolleyes1.gifYeah, figured it gave ya serious fits as you moved along finding something more right looking than not as it would have done exactly the same to me for precisely the same reasons. Looking forward to seeing what else you discover that may be appealing to your eyes.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gifYeah, figured it gave ya serious fits as you moved along finding something more right looking than not as it would have done exactly the same to me for precisely the same reasons. Looking forward to seeing what else you discover that may be appealing to your eyes.

One would never think something so simple could be so hard rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    I can't think of anything clever to say, hubby already took my comment about the "self-portrait" :D
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    DJT wrote: »
    I can't think of anything clever to say, hubby already took my comment about the "self-portrait" :D

His hair line is looking like the 'heads' :D
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    His hair line is looking like the 'heads' :D

eek7.gif I thought I saw a photo of him on the companies website and I didn't remember that nose headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    DJT wrote: »
    eek7.gif I thought I saw a photo of him on the companies website and I didn't remember that nose headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif