Options

Anticipation

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited May 12, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
This kitty never catches a bird, but sure does enjoy waiting for them.

i-Cxckcv5-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Was like, "What cat?" then "doh... there the face on the other side". Poor cat, shouldn't be too hard to catch a bird with the feeder there.. should it?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    DJT wrote: »
    Was like, "What cat?" then "doh... there the face on the other side". Poor cat, shouldn't be too hard to catch a bird with the feeder there.. should it?

The birds landed in the bush right in front of the cat rolleyes1.gifThey never came any closer so the cat just would watch and wait. A whole lot of 'waiting'. I heard from it's owner it brings home mice like crazy.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Fascinating composition, Mary. Gorgeous b&w!
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I heard from it's owner it brings home mice like crazy.

That's a good cat!

You know, I once lived in a homestead on a small island that also housed a vigorous population of little mice (each carrying a vigorous population of fleas - my main concern!). I acquired and set a dozen multiheaded traps, and it was full house in each of them every morning. One morning I found a little mouse on whom the spring guillotine had not completed its job. The little creature was still kicking. So I took a hammer outside with me when I went emptying the day's catch. I dropped the little survivor on a flat rock in the ground. It was almost up and away before I hit it solidly on the head with the hammer. A moment's pause before it started off again. Again I hit, and again! Only when the head of this mouse not much bigger than my thumb was a flattened bloody mess on the rock was it finally still forever. And then I myself was struck still for a long moment in wonder at the tenacity with which that little body had held on to life!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Fascinating composition, Mary. Gorgeous b&w!

That's a good cat!

You know, I once lived in a homestead on a small island that also housed a vigorous population of little mice (each carrying a vigorous population of fleas - my main concern!). I acquired and set a dozen multiheaded traps, and it was full house in each of them every morning. One morning I found a little mouse on whom the spring guillotine had not completed its job. The little creature was still kicking. So I took a hammer outside with me when I went emptying the day's catch. I dropped the little survivor on a flat rock in the ground. It was almost up and away before I hit it solidly on the head with the hammer. A moment's pause before it started off again. Again I hit, and again! Only when the head of this mouse not much bigger than my thumb was a flattened bloody mess on the rock was it finally still forever. And then I myself was struck still for a long moment in wonder at the tenacity with which that little body had held on to life!

Neil

Happy to hear you like the BW :D I knew it wouldn't show off the beautiful colors of the calico cat, but was hoping it would add more mystery to it. If David had to look harder to see the cat then I accomplished what I intended to do :D

Mice are hearty creatures. We've had a few traps that my hubby had to catch the mouse fleeing as it was still attached to it. My Mom found a mouse in an empty bottle of wine in her garage ... still alive too. I didn't know mice had fleas ... another reason to put flea drops on our dogs. Hope you were able to get the mouse population under control in that house. Bet it was a beautiful place tho .. on an island .. that would be my dream home iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 12, 2012
    My cat would be entirely jealous--all he gets to do is sit by a 10th floor window and watch the birds outside. Needless to say, we have to keep those windows shut.

Nice shot, Mary, but I wish a little more of the cat's head had been visible.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    My cat would be entirely jealous--all he gets to do is sit by a 10th floor window and watch the birds outside. Needless to say, we have to keep those windows shut.

Nice shot, Mary, but I wish a little more of the cat's head had been visible.

Calico Kitty - that's the name we've given it -- has the life ... but totally inept at catching a bird. I honestly don't think it wants too. Just loves to 'watch'.

I too wish he/she had it's head out more but this was the only time Calico Kitty stuck it's head out and it was only this far. All my other photos of it are just whiskers sticking out.

Yeah I think I'd keep my windows closed too if I lived on the 10th floor with a kitty watching the birds fly by. It sure is fun tho watching a cat watch birds.

Glad to hear you liked it Richard ... thanks for commenting :D