Newbie tutorial?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 18, 2012 in Video
Just got a Canon 5D mk III (predominately for still work) and gave video a try today. I was completely overwhelmed by the choices/settings. Does anyone know of a good intro guide to dSLR videography? I'm talking basics - choice of aperture, shutter, fps, compression, etc.
Did a search here, in technique and tutorials but came up empty.
Thanks in advance,

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 16, 2012
    Video dSLR aperture and ISO choices are similar to still photography, "but" those choices are tempered by a reduced set of choices for shutter speeds, which are also linked to the video frame rate.

Start with this thread and link for the shutter speed selections, and how they relate to video frame rates:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=157509

You can vary the shutter speeds for effect, but otherwise the thread is a very good starting point.

Armed with the proper frame rate and shutter speeds, you now have a much better starting point for your appropriate ISO and aperture settings. Use of ND filters can lead to much better options for apertures in good light, especially if you need limited DOF to isolate the subject(s) from the background.

Lots of good information in these links:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/03/12/setting-up-your-canon-5d-mkii-and-mkiii/
    http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/photography/photo-tips/basics-dslr-hd-video-tips/
    http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/143/dslr-quick-shooting-tips
    http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/shutters-speeds-exposure/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good intro guide to dSLR videography?

Absolutely. I can think of no better place than this: http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/

It's free for starters and the actual blog is an award winner.

Also bookmark this: http://tylerginter.com/post/11480534977/180-degree-shutter-learn-it-live-it-love-it

Have Fun with your new Camera! And congratulations!
    tom wise
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Thanks guys. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do...
    I did find that nofilmschool guide but could not find the basics of exposure in there. Granted it's late and I may have skimmed it.
    The video I shot today was done on a whim. I was shooting stills and figured 'why not'.
    Put the camera in Tv mode and set it to 1/60 - don't ask me why - some part of my brain remembered that was 'correct'
    If memory serves, the camera chose f/22 and I think a moderately high iso (can't figure out how to pull out 'exif' data from a movie right now). I guess my question is, what would you do for a standard landscape video under similar circumstances? Is f/11 preferable to f/22 when video is concerned? I did feel that the video was less sharp than I would hope and wondered if that was due in part to diffraction.
    Thanks again
    Eyal

edited May 17, 2012
    Eyal, I think Ziggy53 hit on an important note early. The basic's are not much changed from shooting still's. We tend to choose an aperture based on the DOF we'd like. ISO to help us get as near as twice frame rate: 24 fps=1/50th Shutter speed, 30 fps= 1/60th shutter. And if we need to kill light AND maintain that Shutter and Aperture, then pile on an ND filter or two.

The Video you Shot was a challenge simply because of the amount of light and having to stay @ 1/60th Shutter. Go back today if you can and just crank the Shutter to kill light once you have the other settings as desired and compare!

You are no longer shooting RAW, so White Balance will rule your Color tone.

Dynamic range is reduced!

Shutter Speed as stated. GO higher if you have too, or if you're looking for a special effect. Higher gives a staccato effect. Lower motion blur.

I will stop down when I Have-to/Have-to, but prefer not, just as I do not when shooting stills; diffraction, and DOF.

And when your game turns to inside shooting and with people, the old rules still apply:

You need light to open up the dark areas of faces, prevent raccoon eyes, and your video quality will be much nicer and cleaner with application of light versus no light. Outside with reflector-born light on talent.

Do not be afraid to use ISO. And applying the old rules, when you do go up-up-up in ISO, expose to the right! take a snap shot to gage and set WB too.

I have very little trouble going from Stills to video any more. And actually get pretty happy when I realize I can Auto focus :)

My favorite way to shoot video AND Landscape-Stills though is with a 40mm prime, using DOF Master and maintaining my distance to primary-subject without refocusing @ f8.

I've shot all this week, inside and out, my settings have been Manual Mode, 1/60th, ISO from 100 to 3200, Aperture from f/2 to f/14, and up to two ND filters when outside. When inside I have used lights! Outside with reflector-born light on talent~
    tom wise
    edited May 17, 2012
    Thank you Tom!
    I'll give it a try and see how things go. My mind could not get around having to link shutter to fps. Got some stuff to try out and some unwilling kids and possibly willing cats to use as target practice...
    edited May 17, 2012
    Great links Ziggy. Just watched them during a lunch break.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 17, 2012
    Great links Ziggy. Just watched them during a lunch break.

Don't forget about sound for video. Regardless of whether you intend to record sound at the time of the video acquisition, or add audio after the fact, the theme, quality and rendering of audio for video will account for about half of your audience's experience.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 17, 2012
    edited May 17, 2012
    Thank you Tom!
    I'll give it a try and see how things go. My mind could not get around having to link shutter to fps. Got some stuff to try out and some unwilling kids and possibly willing cats to use as target practice...

Both of those are perfect. Kids because you can then go to editing and see when/if they move too fast. Cats...good too, just because they are unpredictable!

Good Luck to you. the 180' shutter link I gave gives the tech aspect. all you have to remember is what I wrote. and don't forget to purposely break the rules to view what you may or may not like about that.

Note: I shot an entire commercial on an iPad today.....first time using one.
    tom wise
    edited May 17, 2012
    First attempt:
    Sleeping child
    shutter 1/50 f/1.8 24 fps auto ISO
    manual focus, hand held
    processed in iMovie which led to significant degradation as did the export/upload
    i did set tungsten WB but it was still off so had to adjust that which I think further degraded the image and added artifacts to her hair.
    sure was fun though

edited May 18, 2012
    Nice Eyal. I kept thinking Sugar-Plum Farie ought to be playing though!

For WB, Take a photo and let the Camera set it for you.
    tom wise