Options

Bibble is now Corel Aftershot pro

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited May 17, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, I know this is only 5 months behind the times, but I never needed anything from Bibble this year until I upgraded my Linux distribution and it broke Bibble libraries since they are now no longer supporting it since they were bought out by Corel.

Support for raw conversion for Linux is sadly lacking by Canon and Adobe, and Bibble was the only Raw converter I was happy with for noise issues. Digikam, DCRaw, Raw Therapee all did ok for standard pictures, but Bibble was the only one I found that dealt appropriately with hot pixels and long exposure raw noise. (I try to avoid using a windows virtual box in Linux to get the windows programs).

So, I just found out that Bibble is no longer supported, but has now become Corel Aftershot pro, only I found out this a day late and a dollar short. Well, 50 dollars short. They apparently had a special $20 'upgrade' offer back in January, (actually, a license port charge) that they did not advertise AT ALL. They made an announcement on the Bibble forum, but if you didn't haunt the forums, you missed it. They supposedly emailed some Bibble registered users, but I didn't get a single email about it. Now for registered Bibble owners, you can get a $50 'upgrade', which is actually a charge to transfer your license from Bibble to Corel.

It kind of pissed me off, but as a linux user, they've kind of got me over a barrel, not too many alternatives. I tried darktable, which people have been raving about, it's even more non-intuitive that GIMP used to be. No pull down menus, default is to icon based menus (I don't want to spend a half hour deciphering icons), limited zoom functionality, and what menus there are are buried, and I couldn't get noise reduction to work the way I needed it to. It's got a neat stylized look to it, but I don't care about style, I want to look at the screen and see the menus or commands for what I need to do, or a nice intuitive nested command structure.

So, to the point, my PSA-
Corel will, if you make a stink to customer service, and refuse to accept any intermediate offers, still extend the $20 'upgrade' offer to you if you were a Bibble user and didn't get a timely notice. But they won't offer it, and you have to really push for it.
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments