Options

A 'Cerius' Night

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited May 18, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
The Cerius cactus bloom - are probably my favorite bloom. There are several varieties from the 'cerius' family that bloom at night and early morning - only one time and once a year. This particular one is Cerius Peruvianu. I've waited for these guys quite awhile. Here are a few angles to show the bloom.

1. Full bloom after just opening

Cereus-Peruvianu12-05-03-68-XL.jpg

2. It has quite a long tongue

Cereus-Peruvianu12-05-01-3-XL.jpg

3. As the morning sun rises it begins to close up, dry out and die.

Cereus-Peruvianu12-05-01-22-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    I can see why you enjoy this blossom so much. It is quite a beauty. Think you did a great job capturing these images. I find angle 3 of the set is really most appealing for me. And thanks for conveying the background details too. Very cool you spent so much time waiting for your chance and then got nice results for your effort thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Great shots, great story too.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    Thanks for your comments! It's not like I can 'practice' and learn how to shoot these better given they bloom once a year. I do have a few others from different varieties that are much smaller and don't mind a longer morning! :)
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Beautiful! I really like the second one in particular. In that one, there's an intrusion of blue at the top that's a bit distracting. You might consider a crop.
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Loved your perseverance in capturing this blooming flower, Eia. A very good sign that you are that serious in your photography. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb What I do like most is that your lighting and POV really makes the shot on #2 and #3. Awesome! clap.gifclapclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Thanks everyone; appreciate the kudos!