Polluted Runoff from the rains........plus, when I get to them

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 11, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
39191388-L.jpg

This is my favorite, but I have other dirt. hehe

comments?

Oh,

39191399-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Jackie PaperJackie Paper Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    I like it. The composition is well thought out, and the focus is on the reflection of the building. A nice touch, but i don't think it does well in a contest where the theme is "dirty" ... the focus of the picture isn't on the dirt, it's on the reflection ...

Just the opinions of a beginner and a newbie, so don't take them too critically ...
    Jackie Paper, a colorblind photographer struggling at his passion ...
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    Dirty Water

39243860-L.jpg

39243864-L.jpg

39243159-L.jpg

39243168-L.jpg

Below: Dirty Ladder, Dirty Dock (one might notice the Happy Tilt, smile.)

39243170-L.jpg

Comments?
    ginger

preferences: I have them w/o frames
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    I think the colour ones are better. All 3 are pretty good, the fridge made me smile but I think the most promising is the last. I'd just like to see more ladder.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Dirty Water

Below: Dirty Ladder, Dirty Dock (one might notice the Happy Tilt, smile.)

Comments?
    ginger

preferences: I have them w/o frames
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Here are some opinions of mine, Ginger, just hope this can help you somehow...
    - Polluted: agree with Jackie, the reflection is quite distracting from the main theme...
    - Dirty water: also prefer the coloured, but there are too many confusing elements as they do not have an aesthetically appealing group/contrast effect...
    - The frige: there is something lacking, the uniformity of the plants around it do not help either, maybe you should try a view from a different point (for instance, closer from below with an wide angle lens)...
    - Dirty Ladder: a zooming to the ladder and the dirty foot might give a stronger impression... never fear to try zooming and/or cropping :):

Just my points of view.... always missing your pelicans thumb.gif

Roger
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Dirty runoff is a beautiful photo. I like it better without the frame. Maybe it's too subtle for the challenge. ne_nau.gif But it is really good. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif As for the others, I like Dirty Water in color and Dirty Ladder best. I like the composition of both as is. thumb.gif If they were my photos (as if!!) I don't know which I would chose to enter. headscratch.gif This is actually a pretty hard challenge. Dirt is plentiful (though sometimes it is more litter than actual dirt), but creating photos that convey "dirty" that are also artistically pleasing (and GP rated :D ) is not so easy. IMHO, for what it is worth, you have succeeded.

Va

Email
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    What about this one, I like it, will probably enter it.
    39527834-L.jpg

JUst cause, don't know why, it makes me happy, smile. There were too many distracting colors, imo. I was going to make it blk and white, I came to this color and liked it for dirt.

I know what you mean, flying gina, I have a photo that conveys dirty perfectly, but I took it in the 70's. And I can't repeat it now. That one conveys dirty so well, I wouldn't hope to come close. I took this one today, and I just like it.

I am going to put it up and sit on it for awhile. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

On the ladder shot, it is already cropped. I wanted to show the foot knocking the dirt off the dock, otherwise I was not sure it would say anything. I was thinking of getting the original and working up one for less crop as Adrian said he would like to see more ladder.

Then I read the post on it from Roger that said to crop more. I thought that was funny.
    Different opinions.

I was just going to put this one on the challenge w/o posting it here, but then Gina came in, I thought I would put it both places so you all can chime in.

You know I don't usually go out looking for challenge shots, I just take what I run into while looking for birds. I found a lot today that were not birds. I had a good day, saw this man working, very dirty, actually, agreeable to my taking his photo. ???

ginger
  • Options
    RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Fabulous, Ginger, just love it! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Please, don't take me wrong for what I wrote before: as you stated, mostly are just opinions or personal ways of seeing/feeeling photography ... :D

Just due to my background, I often feel 'obliged' to put a more 'technical' approach but I often hesitate to, for people might feel bad about it... :uhoh

Roger
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Thanks, Roger. I am the opposite. I would often like to say, "no that doesn't do it, doesn't work, whatever. At least you stopped and spoke, I usually shy away from "the critique thing". All I know is "yes, that is it" and "Good Gosh, what were you thinking", smile.

On my stuff, I am really lousy at picking things. The most I can do, and that is not much, is put something up and sit on it for awhile.

Gosh that photo from the 70s was good for dirty. But this one makes me smile.

ginger:D
  • Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    "Dirty Work" is a keeper
    thumb.gif

Emotion and Dirt. Who'd a thunk it? Very nice. There's actually nothing about it that I don't like. I wish I had the opportunity to go out as often as you do. I'm envious. Lately.... it's been too few and far between. I have so much fun and it really clears the mind. Oh... and my learning curve. There's that.

I have one full day for a snaparini outing this week.... will see if I can "see" anything to replace Miss Piggy. :D

Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    DewDropDewDrop Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Great pictures! Dirty ladder fits the theme best. THe blue jeans
    look too clean, closer cropping or another shot with more of the
    ladder would help.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Ginger,

"Dirty Work" is excellent. Great entry and definitely a contender! thumb.gif

Erich
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Dirty Work: Duotone
    I just posted this, most work I have done in a challenge in awhile. I think it is very good, and that means I care, and that is not a good thing for me. I don't know how someone could say this is just a popularity contest, and I don't care. Photos can become like children.

So if you all have suggestions, have at this.
    I have tried to do nothing to distract from the subject: dirty.
    I had an excellent model.
    He was using a fluid which is a bright blue/green, it did not mix with the mud, so I thought it was distracting and that is why I went to the monotone.

Then the post on the people forum this AM, almost blk and white, it inspired me. I thought "duotone", followed Kelby and got this. I added some grain, then took most out, I don't think it is in this one, but I am not sure.

In case this is an issue, the head is a bit OOF, think it is a motion thing w a lower shutter speed than I might have used, as nothing else is blurred. I had two frames of this particular photo, the other one shows more blur. I went with this one, just decided that the subject was "dirty" and that good photos with emotion sometimes have a technical flaw. I did use contrast and things to make the illusion of sharpness. By now I have concentrated on the issue of sharpness at all, other than sharpening the photo.

I have other photos of him, no blur at all, but they are more static. I decided to go with the heavy action of a good "reaction" shot.

That is more than anyone wants to know I am sure.

He was a very willing model. My only better one has been my daughter when she is in a great mood.

I get nervous when asking strangers to shoot. If they agree, I get flustered in my head, so when you see this Exif, well, it explains that I have used settings not changed from another shot. Except I did change lenses.

F 16
    ISO 400
    19 mm
    1/40
    Aperture priority
    EV o.33
    39600070-L.jpg

I haven't even framed it, didn't want to distract which a frame or a line seemed to.

ginger (any comments re this photo would be welcome. Don't know if I am correct on using a slightly flawed shot because it is the best one in so many other ways. It is just a decision I made, now I am trying to go with it on run or a walk, to make it as good as it can be.)
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Well, that's on theme, alright. Haven't looked at the ohters, but this looks like it could be a winner.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Yeah the dirty guy in the sepia tone is a great shot. So are the others. I like the dirty ladder and the dirty water pictures. I like the dirty water with the soda can in color better than BNW. IMHO. Great work! thumb.gif The ladder and the person holding that hook could be turned into a very disturbing picture if a theme called for it. As is, it is great but could definitely be turned into something scary. Just a thought.
    :drums
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Dirt is so easy to find around here, rolleyes1.gif . Not even looking for it. And all I have showed is the beauty in the past, or tried.

Maybe I should sneak this photography into all the brochures that entice people to move to this place, causing talk of "flyovers" instead of what used to be an empty highway called the bypass, it is now a clogged "artery".

That is funny re the hook, funny in that it would make a good part for the game of "clue" played at Shem Creek shrimping docks. As in Mr. Big Rude Dock Owner was killed by the "hook" and IN the galley. I think that is why I thought there might be a problem with the theme "dirty" there.

And the shrimper man was cleaning it, whacking barnacles off: great dirt, but in the photographs the hook look "dirtier" than the ladder, smile.

Thanks all for looking and commenting.

I have beauty waiting over on smugmug, not going to try for it now.

ginger
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    I am still working on this situation, trying the colored one
    Dirty Work

39670803-L.jpg