Options

GPS logger

OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
edited May 19, 2012 in Accessories
I've recently been traveling and of course took a few photos. I would like to place those photos on a map but since I didn't have a gps logger with me I'm out of luck. However, I'm going on a new trip in about a month and would like to avoid making that mistake again. So I'm looking for some simple good gps logger, any advice?

I want something simple, small, fairly long battery time and that can be used together with a Mac.

I know that I can log position using my iPhone but I would like to save the battery for other stuff. I also have a Sony GPS-CS 1 but unfortunately it's anything but exact (sometimes it is really far off) so I'm looking for something better.
--
Jan Erik Moström

Comments

• Options
    SkorriSkorri Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    I use the Sony GPS CS3KA and like it. Insert the SD card and it tags 60 photos at a time. Can be time consuming though.
  • Options
    WatersideWaterside Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    I use an iBlue 747 GPS logger with HoudahGeo on my Mac. Being a recorder-only with no display, the GPS logger is very small with a long battery life.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find any of these in my neighborhood
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I am not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do, but this is what I have started doing since LightRoom 4 allowed for me to add GPS info manually.

1) Shoot pictures
    2) Take one shot using camera awesome on my iPad with location information enabled some times I take picture of the sign of where I am, such as a park.
    3) If traveling with GPS set waypoint or mark.
    4) Get home and load images into Lightroom
    5) In Lightroom I select the images I want to add the GPS info to and add it in the EXIF info.
    6) If I still have information missing I use a web app such as http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html to find the lat & longitude and copy and paste it in.

If you want to see an example, I did this yesterday for a picture outing to Cobus Creek Park. You can see the results in the gallery http://photos.bradfordbenn.com/Local/Cobus-Creek-Park-May-17-2012/23034059_wpHstJ

If you want I can expand on the work flow some more.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    This is also what I do, but I tend to wander around, taking a picture here and another one there. So for example, last friday I came home from Prague with 7-800 pictures (all shot using my S90/iPhone ... DSLR in being repaired :( ) and since I was walking about shooting one beautiful building after the other I have no idea where each building is and can't really geotag them. Similar problem when I'm walking around in the forest or driving around, I can't really say where I took a specific photo.

I could of course use my iPhone to collect logging info but I would prefer to save the battery for other stuff. The Sony device works but is a bit large and most importantly, it's everything but accurate. Comparing the logs from that device with one from the iPhone shows that sometimes the Sony device is many hundred meter wrong while the iPhone is correct most of the time.

So I've got two alternatives here, buy a good GPS logger or buy an extra battery pack to my iPhone :D
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 19, 2012
    Opps wrote: »
    ... So I've got two alternatives here, buy a good GPS logger or buy an extra battery pack to my iPhone :D

It's always a good idea to have a second cell phone battery, but for the task of GPS logging that iBlue 747 GPS logger seems ideal. I suggest going for the dedicated GPS logger first, which also gains you some redundancy and flexibility in GPS capability, just in case.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    I use the gistek phototrackr CD-111 (no longer available). The software is a bit quirky, but I found the gps logging superior to my android app, and my garmin. It keeps a signal even when I have it in my fanny pack, and would occasionally pick up signal along the Paris metro.
    The battery lasts at least 24 hours. Sometimes longer when I would forget to charge overnight.
    I log the trip with the phototrackr, download the data using the phototrackr software, geotag with Geosetter and lookup/write location data, then import into lightroom.

I have not used the LR 4 geotagging yet.

There is also a device from Gistek that will plug into nikon cameras or the phototrackr mini.