Options

Something is off

2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited May 20, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Something is off.......Any advice is welcome, Im thinking its the logo in the center either to red or to big or something. This will be printed and laminated at 4foot by 6foot for our gym
J. Tuminello
Tuminello Photography

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 6, 2012
    I don't think the logo is the problem. It doesn't pop. Increase the contrast and saturation.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    Thanks Richard, everything-team pic - or background ?
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    2mo wrote: »
    Thanks Richard, everything-team pic - or background ?
    I just sent you a very quick global rework. You might want to fine tune the changes, maybe not apply the sat boost to the red logo, dunno.

EDIT: BTW, I just noticed that the image was attached. You'll get far better image quality here if you link to images instead. Check out this post: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1620124&postcount=5
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    Trying to link instead of attatch
    3BBALL-2012-X2.jpg
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    You're linking to the whole web page, not the image. Display the image at the size you want, then right click on it and choose Save Image Location, then paste that into the dialog box that opens when you hit the little image icon. deal.gif
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    You have a very clean look working until you get to the logo. It looks like it's on fire compared to the rest of the artwork. Is there a way to make the logo work with less red? Maybe an outline instead of fill? Either way you're going to have to up the red luminance and saturation in the player pics to match it.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    Nothing like mixed signals to help a person out, but I think that centered
    logo is far too prominent. The photo is about the girls, not the logo.

I'd reduce the size of that logo to about a quarter of what it is now.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    This better ?
    3NEWBBALL-2012-X2.jpg20227327_VWNfXX#%21i=1782683978&k=5wmkfTD
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    The thing that seems awkward to me isn't the logo but the fact that the girl at the bottom of each column gets a smaller picture than the rest. The way you cut them off makes them appear to be staring out of a basement window or something. Don't you think they deserve just as much photo as the other girls? It feels odd. I would resize to match the others and move them all up.
    Jay
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I like your re-re-vision!thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif The logo in the original post jumped out at me and distracted from the team. The more subdued logo in the rework is much less distracting.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I like the last re-edit better, as it's not as distracting as the first one. If you are still entertaining other ideas, how about this:

1. Remove the circle from the logo, and just use the letter H and resize it and move it up into the silver area. You could resize the silver area at the top to drop it down to remove the dark area underneath it it so it meets the colored background. Then add a backboard and net just below that in the center. If you want, you could add the text you removed from the bottom of the logo to the backboard.

2. Incorporate the school colors as much as possible into the design. It will be more appealling to the players and their families, and to the school as well. On a side note I am looking into something simular for drag racers to use for promotions to obtain sponsorship. I have read that when contacting a company, your chances are better if you craft your letters/emails to incorporate their companies colors as much as possible. Same would apply here. Just a few thoughts that raced through my head when I seen your photos posted here.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    Wow
    Seriously, thanks for all the comments. I will play with design the next few days and then repost. Thanks again everyone
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2012
    Well, going another direction
    Any advice ???????
    4BBALL-2012-X2.jpg
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    The revised logo layout is much better in my estimation.
    Now it's about the girls...as it should be. Got their game
    faces on, don't they?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    2mo wrote: »
    Any advice ???????
    4BBALL-2012-X2.jpg

I like this one, but here are a couple of ideas to try and see if they work:

1) I like the typeface of Heidleberg Academy, but get rid of the streaky drop shadow.
    2) Put Heidleberg Academy on a single line. Reduce the two colored logos till they're about 1.25 times the size of the name.
    3) The arch doesn't work for me. Make the header straight across, and give it the same border that the footer has, for consistency.
    4) Some kind of outer border would finish it up nicely, I think.

4) Try putting each player's number in with their pic. Put their names on two lines in the upper left, and put the number on the upper right. Or mix it up a little.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Nice feedback to read through for your work. The last result looks swell indeed thumb.gif

I like the upper arch curved, as its very good "artsy" counter to your subjects curved line up. Nice balance all around for me really, save for possibly in the header where the uniform diagonal background lines all across from left to right & leaning left to right don't complement the design connecting the centered lettering. I think possibly those background lines should radiate out as the design connecting the lettering does. Just change one side I guess so the lines go the other way leaving a central point the patterns radiate out from. Did I get that out right headscratch.gif:D

Again really nice piece of work your doing.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2012
    Thank you everyone
    I want to thank everyone for your comments and advice. Below is the final product minus sharpening. There are some possible changes that would improve it but I am running short of time. Daddy O great catch on the lines being the same direction....

5BBALL-2012-X2.jpg
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2012
    Just an update. I got the image back and the company changed my design by adding a grey border on the sides to make the image a 4x8 when it was to dimension for a 4x6 without a proof approval or any notice whatsoever
    ?ui=2&ik=ac8b018456&view=att&th=1373d5bb6bf2a152&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P99tsbuXJsCGrGw40vuU8MW&sadet=1336765216421&sads=4PwnYzWW_u_9RaS5h6edZdXo1Uc&sadssc=1
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography