Options

One Tall, One Short - HELP!

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited May 20, 2012 in Weddings
I have my first wedding of the season coming up tomorrow and a few days ago when I had my final consult with the bride (by phone), she mentioned that, oh yeah, her fiance was 6'3" and she was a stunning 5'1".

:help

I've shot a number of weddings, but I have yet had to deal with such a huge difference in height between the bride and groom! I'll be spending my day doing research, but would LOVE and ADORE some advice please! Have you shot couples who have a large height discrepancy?

Comments

• Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I have not shot one, but I was the 5'6" bride with the 6'10" husband. I say bring a crate for her to stand on for 3/4 shots, but other than that I would go with the flow and not do a lot where they are simply standing together. Have fun with it.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    So, if I'm 5'1", does that make me stunning? :D

Don't forget about sitting poses... with him or both of them sitting. That usually helps. But they are who they are and I'm sure they're comfortable with it, so I'd say use it! See if there is something they love about their height difference and try to incorporate it. :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Many churches have steps leading up to the altar, or leading up to the front door. These steps are often used as shooting locations for the formals. If this is the case with a tall/short wedding, you can use it to your advantage by putting the short one on a higher step than the tall one. If the short one is the bride, you can arrange the fall of the gown to minimize the difference.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    And don't forget to get a couple with him carrying her. Piggy back, in his arms... all kinds of things. Chances are he loves to do that anyhow. Play it up, enjoy the differences. Get some with her on her tippy toes, and him bending down to kiss her.
  • Options
    BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    One of the great things about a height variance is you can create images where they look at each other, face to face and this becomes a dramatic pose. Another way is to seat the groom and have the bride, from the back, put her arms around the both look into the lens. Just experiment and have fun.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited May 18, 2012
    You can also have him start standing one foot behind her and step forward, that'll help shrink the difference. If you have them walk, have her walk in front, and him behind. You can also find uneven ground where he's lower and she's on the higher side.

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    Thanks you guys! It was amazingly helpful. I hadn't forgotten about sitting poses but I love the piggy-back posing. Believe it or not piggy back has become something that my clients are requesting now Laughing.gif. And putting her in front if they're walking is genius as well :D I knew you guys would be awesome! Thanks so much!!
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    hi just let me say i wouldnt worry at all because they are obviously ok with the fact. I am 6-2 my wifes 5-0 it has never worried us and our wedding pictures are great, and they were taken 36 years ago no props or trying to hide the fact. i would take it as normal
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    At a recent workshop this was addressed .. I was very impressed by the outcome.. the groom stands with his legs spread, weight on front leg, leans in a bit, bride with legs together weight on back leg.... I will look for my notes to make sure I remember this right
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700