Options

Solar Eclipse...

Comments

• Options
    Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Time to take flight to shoot the moon. Any suggestions for shooting the solar eclipse?

By the way Angelo, where'd the kwazy scientist go? How do we embed a video in the forums?

Gotta love this line at 1:25

"See, living creatures are full of what's called excitable tissue." --- Cara Santa Marie

http://embed.5min.com/517367375/
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 16, 2012
    How do we embed a video in the forums?

didn't work. deleted it! :cry

• Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Anybody got any good links to solar eclipse photos?

If we're not supposed to look at the sun with our own eyes... what about aiming these digital cameras at the sun?

Any suggestions for ideal camera settings? Minimums needed to get the sky blue and the eclipse looking as fiery as possible?
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Anybody got any good links to solar eclipse photos?

If we're not supposed to look at the sun with our own eyes... what about aiming these digital cameras at the sun?

Any suggestions for ideal camera settings? Minimums needed to get the sky blue and the eclipse looking as fiery as possible?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is you run serious risk of damaging your camera if you don't have a special filter on it. There is too much energy being focused through the lens. Even a serious ND filter doesn't filter all the wavelengths.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Please do not point your camera directly at the sun without a solar filter. For one thing, if you accidentally look through the eyepiece, you could blind yourself... less importantly, it will damage your camera.

Obviously there are mitigating factors, like focal length, cloud cover, time of day... but in general its a bad idea unless you have the right filter (or there's a lot of atmosphere in the way, which is really just like a filter).

http://thousandoaksoptical.com/solar.html
    (no affiliation)
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Is the moon in the way going to be enough filter? That's at least one shot if a better filter can't be obtained for the shots leading up to and afterwards.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited May 19, 2012
    Is the moon in the way going to be enough filter? That's at least one shot if a better filter can't be obtained for the shots leading up to and afterwards.

No. Eclipse or not, do not point your camera at the sun, do not use binoculars, and don't stare at it with the naked eye. Even if it is 99.9% covered by the moon. Very dangerous.

From SpaceWeather.com May 19th front page
    Because this is not a total eclipse, some portion of the sun will always be exposed. To prevent eye damage, use eclipse glasses, a safely-filtered telescope, or a solar projector to observe the eclipse. You can make a handy solar projector by criss-crossing your fingers waffle-style. Rays of light beaming through the gaps will have the same shape as the eclipsed sun. Or look on the ground beneath leafy trees for crescent-shaped sunbeams and rings of light.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    15524779-Ti.gif

The only exception is when it is a total solar eclipse. And during that brief period of time (usually only a couple of minutes), you can safely look the sun and see the incredible corona (and sometimes bright stars and nearby planets).

But this eclipse is only annular, not total... so nowhere on Earth can you do that safely on Sunday.
    Chris
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    Shooting in live view would not expose your eye to bad rays will it. That way you are not getting reflected image directly into your eye through view finder. I still would not leave your camera focused on sun for extended amount of time.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012

(Now this is personal advice, don't quote me on it. If you burn up your camera, don't blame me).

The best solution is solar film, but these are usually sold out well in advance of an eclipse. Welding glass #10 or #12 does a nice job (also makes a heck of a ND filter). These can be found at Lowes or Home Depot for under $6.

The welding glass is tinted green, so shooting with a custom white balance or in raw is required.

I will be shooting with both solar film and welding glass tomorrow in Reno with my Nikon D3 cameras.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    I am probably heading up Redding way I thought about Reno but so more clouds that way on the local future cast. There is said to be more clouds to the north so maybe Chico might be the place, who knows as always adapt and relocate.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2012
    Darn it! I'll be at work the 20th during all this. Get this... the weather report calls for thunderstorms from 3pm to 9pm - basically covering the entire eclipse from start to finish. 11doh.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2012
    Hope everyone had fun and stayed safe! It was better than I expected. I posted my best shot in "Other Cool Shots." :cool
    Chris
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    I might be missing something obvious here but why is it okay to shoot a 'sun star' but not an eclipse? Both expose the sensor to direct, focused light from the sun. I've shot a number of images that included the sun in them (not as a central element mind you) and don't see holes in the sensor.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2012
    At Gridley CA Graylodge Wildlife Area southern end of the eclipse track 39.320782,-121.845052 Google maps
    D7000 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 @300mm with Cokin 007 IR filter

Eclipse-XL.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member