one of those sneaky night herons
38762797-L.jpg
got some tern bifs
38762816-L.jpg

38762817-L.jpg

38762819-L.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Hey, you got one nice BIF and some big white thumbnails w strange words.

Smile, looks good. I provide the egrets, you all get the rest,rolleyes1.gif . Oh, and I do the seagulls and the pelicans, too.

ginger

(smugmug provides the thumbnails)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Nice series, Harry. I really like #'s 5 & 6. #5 for the 'wind beneath my wings' feel, and #6 for the glimpse of reflection that is just beginning to form. Great job. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Playe
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hey, you got one nice BIF and some big white thumbnails w strange words.

Smile, looks good. I provide the egrets, you all get the rest,rolleyes1.gif . Oh, and I do the seagulls and the pelicans, too.

ginger

(smugmug provides the thumbnails)

Fortunately the smugmug problem was resolved. clap.gif
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Do my eyes deceive me but........ is
    that a Juvi NH and a couple Tern BIFs what ya do sneak a trip to Cali while we weren't looking :lol
    Hey did you stop and have a pineapple pizza, come on fess up we won't tell anyone :lol4

Not to shabby shooting either thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    That's it!
    I am buying the 300mm IS f/4 and the 1.4 TC.

Great! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Edit: Just thought I'd add, the Night Heron was the one I liked most.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Great! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

You'll be happy with that combo thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    You'll be happy with that combo thumb.gif
    I met this guy: http://kegressy.com/index_1.html at Algonquin Provincial Park. That's what he uses, and as you can see, he gets terrific results in conjunction with the 420 flash and the Better Beamer.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:

I had that combo. I prefer the 400 F 5.6

The lack of IS is not something that has been an issue. It was more of an issue with the 70-200. I do not use a tripod or monopod, for the most part. That 400 is just an awesome lens, and the price for the 300IS and the 400(no IS), they are in the same range with the 400 being a bit cheaper. I still have my extender (s). I can tape pins, use the monopod and get more reach, I have not tried that yet.

Ric, Harry, I cannot get the "front" of a bird flying towards me in focus. When I am shooting, have a lock, it appears to be in focus. I thought maybe it was shutterlag, even on the 20D. I have thought that prefocusing would help, if I knew where to prefocus, haven't tried it yet, also have thought that greater depth of field might help, that, of course, would cut the shutter speed.

Harry what do you do to get the great focus on the birds flying towards you?

Does the equipment help in this case? (shutterlag, whatever.........or could I be doing something differently?)

ginger

Ric, I traded lenses to the 400 with great fear, only because I read that for birds the 400 was better. That is in Moose Peterson's book. I have not been sorry, and I bought the book, second hand, of course.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    Thank you very much playe. Glad you enjoyed them.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Do my eyes deceive me but........ is
    that a Juvi NH and a couple Tern BIFs what ya do sneak a trip to Cali while we weren't looking :lol
    Hey did you stop and have a pineapple pizza, come on fess up we won't tell anyone :lol4

Not to shabby shooting either thumb.gif

No I didn't go to Cali. I have written to Arnold about my proposed law banning pineapple pizza though.

Thank you
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    No I didn't go to Cali. I have written to Arnold about my proposed law banning pineapple pizza though.

Thank you

Hope you wrote in German/Austrian
    headscratch.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Hope you wrote in German/Austrian
    headscratch.gifmwink.gif

Nah, I wrote in broken English. rolleyes1.gif A common language that we are both fluent in.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Edit: Just thought I'd add, the Night Heron was the one I liked most.

Hey Ric,

Thank you very much. The 300mm f4 and 1.4 TC was my favorite combo before I got the 500mm. I'm very sorry that I sold the 300mm to help fund the 500mm purchase. I will probably reacquire a 300mm some time next year.
    Harry
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Lovely change of pace Harry! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Lovely change of pace Harry! thumb.gif

Thanks Steve, It was good to get out and shoot at a different location.
    Harry