Options

Canon Lenses

debeshdebesh Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 23, 2012 in Cameras
Hi all.
I have a new Canon 60D after my old 500D was stolen with all my lenses.
I am an amateur photographer, and planning to buy the following lenses:
1. Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
2. Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
3. Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Will Tamron Tele-converter X2 will be useful for me?
Will this gear give me a good cover for portrait, Sport, and landscape photography?:scratch
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    debesh wrote: »

Probably not, imo.
    Depends whether the TC reports (lens) info to the cam - if it does then the TC + lens combos for the last 2 lenses will be greater than f5.6 - so you'll probably lose AF.

I've got/used the 17-50 (and liked it) but had no dealings with the other 2.

Depends on your main interest(s), but I'd possibly forgo the 50-70 range, go with 2 lenses and get a better quality 70 -300 ... maybe the L?

Another alternative might be a 70-200 f4L (great lens imo) + 1.4x TC ...using the 1.4x on the 17-50 would also cover the 50-70 range too - with less IQ hit.

Sport (especially indoor) would ideally need faster glass than any of the above, however.

pp
  • Options
    scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    Expect the moderator to move this to the correct forum . . .
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 21, 2012
    debesh,
    Welcome to Dgrin! Yes, Scott (above) is correct. I moved this thread into our Cameras forum where we discuss gear choices. The Flea Market is for actual buying/selling, not so much for advice. If you get the specific suggestions here and make a decision on what to buy, please come back to the Flea Market and post a "WTB:-"

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    Skip the 28-135. The gap from 50 to 70mm isn't big, and your 17-50/2.8 will probably be plenty as your primary walk-around lens. Take the money you save and buy a flash or a fast prime instead, like a 28/1.8 or 85/1.8.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited May 21, 2012
    Hi all.
    Will this gear give me a good cover for portrait, Sport, and landscape photography?headscratch.gif
    Thanks

I don't believe that any Canon teleconverter will physically and safely attach to any of these lenses, the Canon converters have a projecting front element, and I believe all of the above lenses would not allow attachment.

Specifically, Canon's compatibility statement for the 2X converter:

"This lens is only compatible with fixed focal length L-series lenses 135mm and over, as well as the EF 70-200/2.8L, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, EF 70-200/4L, and EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L. Additionally, please see the lens and/or camera body manual for full compatibility information with the Extender EF 2X III."
    (From: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/lenses/extender_ef_2x_iii#Specifications)

While there are some third-party teleconverters which may safely mount on those lenses, they are not optically designed for these lenses (and vice-versa), and the resulting images will suffer.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    Hi all.
    Will this gear give me a good cover for portrait, Sport, and landscape photography?headscratch.gif
    Thanks

I agree, don't get the 28-135 and teleconverter. Primes and lighting are good for portraits, for sports /action the 70-300 is OK, other lens are better but cost more.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    The 70-300mm will work for outdoor sports in daylight, but not much else. At f/5.6 when fully out, it is a slow lens. You might want to consider a used 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, along with a TC when needed. You'll have much more versatility and much better image quality. Not sure what these lenses are going for used these days, but a shooter at a recent MLB event I shot told me he bought a refurbished one from Canon for about $1000.

I would also agree on dropping the 28-135, as it is largely redundant.
  • Options
    debeshdebesh Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2012
    Thanks
    jhefti wrote: »
    The 70-300mm will work for outdoor sports in daylight, but not much else. At f/5.6 when fully out, it is a slow lens. You might want to consider a used 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, along with a TC when needed. You'll have much more versatility and much better image quality. Not sure what these lenses are going for used these days, but a shooter at a recent MLB event I shot told me he bought a refurbished one from Canon for about $1000.

I would also agree on dropping the 28-135, as it is largely redundant.

Thanks clap.gif
    I took your advice and droped the 28-135.
    I took the Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical and the Sigma 118-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS, and the Yongnuo YN-565EX