Options

architecture photography in NYC

trihokietrihokie Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
My daughter is an architecture student at UF (go Gators!) and I am planning a 4 day trip to NYC in May. We are looking to take in as much NYC architecture as we can. I live in a town of 25,000 people, so any advice to help me not look like such a dweeb would be appreciated. I will be armed with a couple of Canon 7Ds with 12-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm and a couple of flashes packed into a Canon backpack. The plan is to do some walking tours. Are there any areas that I should avoid, as I will not be carrying a firearm. And, what is the best means of transportation?
Thanks in advance.

Hokies Rule!
www.trihokie.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    trihokie wrote: »
    Are there any areas that I should avoid, as I will not be carrying a firearm.

Do you always carry a firearm when you are shooting? eek7.gif
    And, what is the best means of transportation?
    Walking, Subway, Taxicab.

Oh and there's a book out there that might help naughty.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Having spent 57 years in NYC (working in Harlem and the South Bronx) and having lived in Viera for the last 8 years I can say that you will be safer in NYC than in Rockledge. The areas to avoid won't be on your agenda.

If you want any restaurant recommendations give me a holler.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    trihokietrihokie Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Cha-ching! Your book is in my Amazon cart, Andy. I am waiting for my daughter to check with one of her professors on another book before I pull the trigger.
    Harryb, I know I sound like a country bumpkin, but I have been in Rockledge for the last 25 years. However, I did grow up in Richmond Va which has more than it's share of shootings. And, by the way, I don't own a firearm. My wife won't let me.
    Thanks

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com
  • Options
    TontoTonto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    Looking up at the buildings as you walk down the street is a dead give away that you are from out of town.