Options

Asia

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited May 26, 2012 in Journeys
I am amazed that I haven't posted this on Dgrin yet! I went to Vietnam and Cambodia late July and let me tell you what a freaking experience! I did love it, just not being hit by a moped at the end of the trip. A FREAKING MOPED!!!!!!! Fractured wrist and I had weddings and engagement sessions the following month after coming back. The fractured wrist, at that point, was the least of my worries. But I made it and was able to shoot those important things.

I can one hand shoot a 1D!

So after much questioning, while growing up in the states, my relatives and parents got their wish! I went to Vietnam! With my brother, sister in law, and nephew! It was really an eye opening experience, well aside from the accident! I saw youtube videos of the moped filled streets, but never seen it in person!

The food... let me tell you! I happened to love Pho! Our best dish out of Vietnam! But, 50% of the time I was going for Pho, the restaurants were out of the noodles! And when I went to go for Vietnamese Banh Mi... they would be out of bread! :huh People eating it all before I get there? Or is it a coincidence??

I spent a lot of time in Ho Chi Minh City, going around the city, getting my inner foodie satiated! I could have bought some Northface jackets, that we would be buying here in the states, for cheap. But. I didn't.

When I went to Cambodia from Vietnam... let me just say, avoid going by bus! ha! 15 hour bus ride with the bus driver driving like he is in a F-1 racer while honking maniacally. On pot hole dirt roads no doubt.

Still a great adventure!

Check out the blogs for the rest of the set. The journal entries are linked there too.

Vietnam blog set: http://travel.tednghiemphoto.com/?p=3321

Cambodia blog set: http://travel.tednghiemphoto.com/?p=3324

IMGL6037-L.jpg

IMGL6137-L.jpg

IMGL6151-L.jpg

IMGL6470-L.jpg

IMGL6617-L.jpg

IMGL6657-L.jpg

IMGL6797-L.jpg

IMGL7212-L.jpg
Training a new up and coming Smugmugger. :D

IMGL7479-L.jpg

IMGL7679-L.jpg

IMGL7718-L.jpg
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    IMGL7913-L.jpg

IMGL8019-L.jpg

IMGL8123-L.jpg

IMGL8499-L.jpg

IMGL8613-L.jpg

IMGL8760-L.jpg

IMGL9433-L.jpg

IMGL9906-L.jpg

IMGL0151-L.jpg

IMGL0608-L.jpg

IMGL1139-L.jpg

IMGL1915-L.jpg

Our broken down bus. If you are the driver, you better know how to fix nearly everything on the bus!

IMGL1931-L.jpg
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    When we came back to ho chi minh city from cambodia, I went to Dalat Vietnam by myself. That was where I got the smackdown from a moped...

IMGL2034-L.jpg

Literally the day I got there I got hit. The next morning, I was back in Ho Chi Minh City. rolleyes1.gif

IMGL1976-L.jpg

IMGL2090-L.jpg

IMGL2088-L.jpg

IMGL2077-L.jpg
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    great stuff ted! haha..the planking shot!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    great stuff ted! haha..the planking shot!

Ha thanks! My brother and I planked Angkor too! It was invigorating. rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2012
    Great work Ted, so when are you coming to our part of Asia :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    Great work Ted, so when are you coming to our part of Asia :D

Not sure, but Pakistan is on my to go to list!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    loved looking through these... except mr.underwearman I could have done without...haha
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2012
    loved looking through these... except mr.underwearman I could have done without...haha

ha! It's all part of the story!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    ha! It's all part of the story!

agreed, I was just raz'n ya....haha.. btw, I've always wanted to have my feet treated like that...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2012
    agreed, I was just raz'n ya....haha.. btw, I've always wanted to have my feet treated like that...:D

Let me tell you. Prepare to be tickled, so if you are extremely ticklish you are going to be laughing! Just be sure not to fall in! My nephew, brother and I had a ball with our feet in that tank, well it seemed the fish loved my feet the most! Especially after hiking all over the Angkor temples!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Great Shots! Vietnam is awesome! Been there 6 times since 1999 and just when my wife thinks there is NOTHING left to photograph; I always seem to find something new. My wife was born in Hue, but when she was 9ish she moved to Bac Hoang's house in Saigon. And she has relatives in Binh Duong.

I just started scanning my negatives from my first trip there in 1999. I'll have to check out your blog later this weekend. Thanks for posting these... makes me want to head back there (and we were just there in Aug 2011).
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    DJT wrote: »
    Great Shots! Vietnam is awesome! Been there 6 times since 1999 and just when my wife thinks there is NOTHING left to photograph; I always seem to find something new. My wife was born in Hue, but when she was 9ish she moved to Bac Hoang's house in Saigon. And she has relatives in Binh Duong.

I just started scanning my negatives from my first trip there in 1999. I'll have to check out your blog later this weekend. Thanks for posting these... makes me want to head back there (and we were just there in Aug 2011).

Vietnam definitely is gorgeous! And really when you think you photographed it all, regardless where you are, you will find surprises!

Is Bun Bo Hue your wife's favorite soup?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    Is Bun Bo Hue your wife's favorite soup?

How did you know :D

My favorite in Hue would be banh beo
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2012
    DJT wrote: »
    How did you know :D

My favorite in Hue would be banh beo

A good guess. ;) That's my parent's favorite too! Lately I have been enjoying cao lau lately!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Nice! I wish you'd have numbered them. :D

I like the one with the two people in the stone windows quite a lot.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops