Amazing Fantasy Photos

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
edited May 27, 2012 in The Big Picture
Kirsty Mitchell lost her mother to cancer and as a part of the healing process, she turned to photography.

She created a series of images on a shoestring budget that rival that of any commissioned project. Simply beautiful work.

article
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 18, 2012
    :wow :jawdrop

The story and images moved me to tears. Honestly, I felt like locking away my cameras and lenses after going through all her galleries. Just absolutely astounding. About every two years I review the work an artist at the caliber of Kirsty and think that art and talent such as hers are truly God-given, and so far above mere mortals that I am left speechless. She is one of those.

Make sure you go to her web site, and look through all her galleries. Also, check out her flicker site, and especially her old work of B&W portraits. Beyond belief.

Years ago, (8?), we had a gal that was on the forums (here and DPR/Sony); young, a student, an artist of many disciplines, and going for her MFA in something, who posted incredible work far far above everyone else and was somewhat similar to these. I can't remember her name. I have often wondered what ever happened to her.

Thanks, Ian!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    wow thanks for sharing, this is true inspirational work!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Truly gifted creative concepts with excellent execution.

I will be putting my camera gear on Ebay as soon as I stop crying.

Sam
  • Lemur LoverLemur Lover Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Wow! Kirsty's work is indeed absolutely amazing, not to mention those costumes! Once again it proves how an artist's mind can explode with creative ideas while trying to deal with tragedy and loss, doesn't seem to be restricted to one particular art form either, look at all the lives of so many painters, authors, composers, song-writers, and probably many more photographers than we're aware of, who have greatly enriched other people's live by way of their beautiful work.

Many thanks Ian for sharing the link to such inspirational imagery!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 27, 2012
    I'm glad you all enjoyed them.

Annie Leibovitz has a similar series and I think Kirsty's are definitely better. Maybe more clever is what I'm looking for.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?