052412Commencement20120073BW-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    Nice set of images! The lighting is very nice in #1, I just wished she had looked up a little,the last one is Outstanding !
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    Take my word for it - you did not want her to look up. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    #1 is the keeper. The others just show random people doing nothing
    of particular interest. #3 is kinda good, though.

#1 reflects the times we are in...where whatever is going on around us
    it is not as important keeping up with what we can do anytime. Sad.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    This is a response to Tony's comments. It is NOT intended to start a food fight, and I will delete if it does. But I feel a couple points are worth making.

First, I say what I say fully aware that we are our own worst editors.

Yes, compositionally, and perhaps in terms of lighting, number one is probably the strongest, but not for the reasons Tony suggests. If you look carefully at the image - don't even bother to read the title ;-) - you see that no one is 'paying attention' because thee is nothing to pay attention to. People are sitting and waiting, together or alone. We can wonder who the young woman is texting at this moment, where she is mentally, what the older couple behind her is talking about - is it her hat? Her iPhone? The weather? Or the grandchild's graduation from Harvard - or none of the above?

Image 2 - " Somethingis happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones?" Look at the expressions on the faces of the young grads on the left and right; who are looking at the older black man in the center. What is triggering those expressions? What are they seeing? Who is that old guy? Is he a professor they know? Is he someone they dislike? Admire? Or is this a Holy Shit! moment for them? Actually, it's the latter, because the older gentleman is a genuine American hero - Congressman John Lewis, a leader of the Freedom Rides, the head of SNCC in its early, effective days, speaker at the March on Washington, savagely beaten at Selma - and the two young men seem to realize who he is, and understand the import of the moment. He is part of the procession, will receive an honorary degree, and a sustained standing ovation, which is not something Harvard honorands normally receive. Do I wish I had a strong portrait of Lewis, yes. But I believe the moment is captured.

Number 3. First, note the composition; the tight group on the left, the woman above them, the people off to the top right. Now, why are they looking so somber on what is taken to be a joyous ocassion? What are they thinking? Are they alums? Parents? Are they back on graduation day, 1969 or 70? Are they thinking about paths not taken - or taken? Or did they just have a hard night on the red eye from LA? And look at the contrast between them and the smiling young woman. This shot is about mood, about expression, about people.

Number 4. Portrait. Class of 1950 - graduated 62(!) years ago. Who does he see on that stage who we do not see? what is he reliving? Look at that face. Look at those eyes. Contrast him with the young woman beside him, but we assume not with him. And look at the way the image is put together.

Finally, as so many of you are seriously into titles, note that these are moments captured at a college commencement. They are...moments. Life is made up of them. Every moment does not have to be momentous.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    Said BJ: "This is a response to Tony's comments. It is NOT intended to start a food fight,
    and I will delete if it does. But I feel a couple points are worth making."

I'll lob a bun back, but gently and without rancor.

It's often been said here that photographs should tell a story. Unless the photographer
    makes that story abundantly clear, it is the viewer who decides what the story is.

You've said that there was nothing for the lady in #1 to pay attention to so my comment
    is irrelevant. The thing is, BD, you may know that nothing was going on, but I don't
    know nothing is going on. All I can really pick out of that photo are three subjects,
    and two of the three subjects could be doing what they are doing even if the Provost
    of Harvard was dancing naked on the stage.

I've been to commencement ceremonies both as a university graduate and as the parent
    of graduates. The crowd pays attention to what is going on when their own representative
    is on stage, and seldom pays attention at other times.

Image #2 is a family snapshot to me. The people aren't interesting, they are not
    doing anything interesting, and two subjects have blown-out faces. It doesn't suggest
    Harvard to me any more than it suggests Slippery Rock State College unless those
    paired doohickies on the gowns mean something. It is only the title that makes that
    connection.

Congressman John Lewis? The face means nothing to me, and the name registers
    only when you provide the details here. The photograph doesn't tell that story.
    This is "Street"...uhhh..."Documentary", not "Photographs with accompanying articles
    and explanatory captions". The story has to be in the photograph. The story, and the
    person, is interesting but photographs in the forum have to stand on their own.

Image #3 is an OK shot, but it doesn't exactly whip up the interest you ascribe to it
    in your post. It's a glance-and-go shot in a series like this.

Image #4 is interesting, but you have written a story in your post that is not in the
    image. The hat evidently tells you that he is from the Class of 1950, but it doesn't
    tell me that. I'm a product of Indiana University and Northwestern University, not
    Harvard. H54/50R doesn't mean squat to me. Good face, but not really given
    sufficient emphasis to be a great photograph.

I'm not knocking the photographs, BD. They're OK, but will never make it in your
    coffee table book of "BD Colon - A Retrospective". The story they tell requires an
    accompanying article, and that's not what we're looking for in this forum.

Like it or not, the well-received image in this forum stands out for what is seen in
    the image at first glance and tells any story involved within the frame of the image
    alone.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Without making any specific comments on these photos, this is nothing like the Harvard commencement I remember: a highly emotional time, filled with a wealth of expressions and feelings and gestures and faces, alone or in aggregate, all juxtaposed against a backdrop of an absolutely iconic campus. None of that is present in this set. Maybe the commencement has gotten boring over the years...
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    Indeed you are entitled to your interpretation Tony. However....Everyone here seems to revel in image titles - and the title of that first image is..."Waiting for Commencement to commence." It's pretty difficult to make it clearer than that.

Image two - Doesn't need a book. Don't need to know he's John Lewis. All you need to do is look at the image, and I suggest that the expressions on the faces of the two young men suggest there is something significant happening - you decide what if anything.

Image three - Show me your "family snapshot" that presents that, in terms of composition, expression, etc.

Image four - Come on, Tony. Given that the overall title is Harvard Commencement, I know you are smart enough to figure out that if the hat has an H, and then 50 and 54, well...;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Without making any specific comments on these photos, this is nothing like the Harvard commencement I remember: a highly emotional time, filled with a wealth of expressions and feelings and gestures and faces, alone or in aggregate, all juxtaposed against a backdrop of an absolutely iconic campus. None of that is present in this set. Maybe the commencement has gotten boring over the years...

Yes, John, lot's of happy grads in Crimson robes hugging each other and having a great time. Yawn. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Image four - Come on, Tony. Given that the overall title is Harvard Commencement, I know you are smart enough to figure out that if the hat has an H, and then 50 and 54, well...;-)

Going that route, I would guess that the man is the Class of 1954,
    not the Class of 1950. Entered Harvard in 1950 and graduated in
    1954. Either that, or he attended a multi-year Harvard Reunion
    (H and R) of the Classes of 1950 through 1954.

See what happens when we try to think too much about an image?

Images should be taken in holistically and stand out for their whole
    without the need to examine the parts.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    My question is what did you shoot the series with?mwink.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »

headscratch.gif

Without taking sides on this particular series I want to comment that I think this sentence is utter nonsense. What you're suggesting is that art should be obvious and easy. How much of the world's great literature, painting, drama, and (yes, even) photography would be cast aside if we followed this rule? Examining the parts of art is part of the fun, beauty, and challenge of appreciating it.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    #1 is a very impressive image, B.D. I'd hang that one up in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    headscratch.gif

Without taking sides on this particular series I want to comment that I think this sentence is utter nonsense. What you're suggesting is that art should be obvious and easy. He much of the world's great literature, painting, drama, and (yes, even) photography would be cast aside if we followed this rule? Examining the parts of art is part of the fun, beauty, and challenge of appreciating it.

If the image - or book or artwork - isn't interesting in the whole, one
    seldom bothers to examine the parts. My point was that our first
    impression and level of interest is based on the whole image. If that's
    of interest, we may proceed to look at the details.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    I think # 1 has a nice feel and mood because of the light,but mostly the hat. I prefer the last one over the first because of the composition,information,and the emotive qualities but mostly the composition.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Going that route, I would guess that the man is the Class of 1954,
    not the Class of 1950. Entered Harvard in 1950 and graduated in
    1954. Either that, or he attended a multi-year Harvard Reunion
    (H and R) of the Classes of 1950 through 1954.

See what happens when we try to think too much about an image?

Two degrees, Tony - 50, 54.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited May 28, 2012
    Patti wrote: »
    My question is what did you shoot the series with?mwink.gif

I had to know you'd out me, Patti rolleyes1.gif. Shot with Fuji XPro1 with, I think, all three lenses. It's got it's quirks, and I would NOT recommend it as a first camera purchase - I might not even recommend it to someone with no prior experience with a manual focus camera. But that said, I'm in love. iloveyou.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited May 28, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    headscratch.gif

Without taking sides on this particular series I want to comment that I think this sentence is utter nonsense. What you're suggesting is that art should be obvious and easy. How much of the world's great literature, painting, drama, and (yes, even) photography would be cast aside if we followed this rule? Examining the parts of art is part of the fun, beauty, and challenge of appreciating it.

I am going to tread lightly here - or try to...Different people like and appreciate different kinds of images, and demand different levels of, what? literalism from them? Tony and many others not only want an image to be of "something," in a very 'in your face' sense, they want that something to be 'interesting,' which is fine. I believe the second of my signature quotes below makes it clear that that's not what I am ultimately going for with my photography - if I am shooting purely for myself. I am looking for a moment, a composition, a bit of humanity; for an image I can come back to repeatedly and think about, and each time I do see something at least slightly different. I do not claim to often achieve that, but then that's why, as my photographer friend Kyle Cassidy so wonderfully put it, "keep pushing that shutter button, it'll come unstuck."
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Different people like and appreciate different kinds of images, and demand different levels of, what? literalism from them? Tony and many others not only want an image to be of "something," in a very 'in your face' sense, they want that something to be 'interesting,' which is fine. I believe the second of my signature quotes below makes it clear that that's not what I am ultimately going for with my photography

Ya know BD, I think you got to the essence of these kinds of disagreements: each of us has a particular eye for subject and composition, and we come to any given photograph with our own histories and experiences. I connect to many of your images because of the simplicity and subtlety, though I must admit that the set being considered on this thread is something of an exception (to my eye). In my brief two years with a camera, I've come to appreciate that my favorite shots are often largely not appreciated by others; so long as I am not being paid for a particular work product, this is fine. I find it most helpful and constructive just to listen to the responses of others, consider these responses and reactions, and sometimes use it to refine my capabilities if it makes sense. I see no useful purpose in arguing, though, as in the end there is little to be gained by doing so. As someone who has alternately made his living in both the arts and the sciences, I find only in science does contention really lead to constructive outcomes. In the arts, it more often degenerates into some mixture of ad hominem and appeals to authority.

Regarding this set, I remember the Harvard commencement as far more than just a bunch of smiling happy grads--much much more! I remember one girl who had failed to graduate, sitting devastated in the crowd; another kid who had come from Appalachia and parents with a 3rd grade education, sitting on the stands and gazing out over the Yard looking more shocked than happy; parents whose faces displayed superpositions of more emotions than I could possibly count; and the lonely, isolated kids who perhaps never felt like they belonged at Harvard, and now don't feel like they should be given their degrees. And of course, there were the smug faces of privileged progeny that expressed a sickening entitlement to all that swirled around them. Some of these images are seared into my mind with unyielding exactitude, all these years later. Perhaps because of this, I am not really the person to be commenting on this particular set.

But thanks for all your great work! I really do connect with much of it.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Well said John
    Rags
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Nice photos.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2012
    Thanks for the comments, John. There is a bit of everything there at Commencement time. All this claims to be is four things that caught my eye. You might be amazed by today's Harvard, by the way, which is not, to steal from Buick, 'your father's Harvard.' Clise to 70 percent of the student body receives financial aid - scholarships, NOT loans, with those with family net incomes under $65k paying $0, and those with incomes up to $155k paying up to 10% of income, or $15,500. Which is to say that a Harvard education is available to anyone who an get in; money is no longer a barrier. Yes, there are still a lot of 'legacies,' but the student body today is quite diverse in every way other than in terms of ability.

But that aside. After all the back and forth, I've come to the conclusion that number...Three is the keeper.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    I had to know you'd out me, Patti rolleyes1.gif. Shot with Fuji XPro1 with, I think, all three lenses. It's got it's quirks, and I would NOT recommend it as a first camera purchase - I might not even recommend it to someone with no prior experience with a manual focus camera. But that said, I'm in love. iloveyou.gif

You can't say I didn't warn you. mwink.gif I'm sure you two will be very happy together. clap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography