Options

New Brand Launch for Creative Senior Portrait Photography

kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited May 29, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Wanted to see if I could get some feedback on a new brand I just launched for Creative Senior Portrait photography.

http://lab13studio.com

Obviously there is no gallery yet. I'm working on that. But what do you think of the overall brand, website, information, presentation?

Thank you!!!!

Comments

• Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    Very clean design. Obviously, a lot of thought went into the execution of your concept. Well done.

Looking forward to seeing pictures up there...
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    I looked at every page. It caught my attention. It is a "sterile" design and not "warm and inviting". Not a bad design but I am not sure how it will go over with girls (primary customers of custom senior portraits). As a matter of fact you have a guy on the front page. Who is your audience? Just some thoughts.

One stand out thing that gets me though...and I am not trying to be a jerk but my consumer side kicks in.... You list your sessions and their prices and you list what package levels are included. But then you don't list anything about the packages or products...yet you provide a link to book online without even knowing what I am getting for products/prints/digital images/whatever. On the info for parents you list a little about the range that seniors spend...but still no package info.

Again, please don't take my comments as trying to be a jerk but those are my first impressions.

Just my 2¢. Good start.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    Wachel wrote: »
    I You list your sessions and their prices and you list what package levels are included. But then you don't list anything about the packages or products...yet you provide a link to book online without even knowing what I am getting for products/prints/digital images/whatever. On the info for parents you list a little about the range that seniors spend...but still no package info.

I noticed the very same thing. No prices on the products either.
    I was wondering if this is deliberate or the site is yet to be finished.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    Wachel wrote: »
    I looked at every page. It caught my attention. It is a "sterile" design and not "warm and inviting". Not a bad design but I am not sure how it will go over with girls (primary customers of custom senior portraits). As a matter of fact you have a guy on the front page. Who is your audience? Just some thoughts.

One stand out thing that gets me though...and I am not trying to be a jerk but my consumer side kicks in.... You list your sessions and their prices and you list what package levels are included. But then you don't list anything about the packages or products...yet you provide a link to book online without even knowing what I am getting for products/prints/digital images/whatever. On the info for parents you list a little about the range that seniors spend...but still no package info.

Again, please don't take my comments as trying to be a jerk but those are my first impressions.

Just my 2¢. Good start.

I'm currently working on making sure it caters mostly to girls. I now have a girl shot as the first slide. The problem is that I'm still portfolio building and looking for girls through casting calls. The guy I already had so I used him...

I don't list the product prices because I don't want the pricing information to start to get too complicated. I've probably changed it a little since you saw it...it now tells you what the minimum package price is.

Perhaps you're getting caught up on the wording of the form for "book a session...." -- Maybe I need change that to, "Schedule a Free Consultation" -- the intention of the form is to start the conversation, not actually book a session and pay for it.

Does that make sense? Do you think changing the wording would help?
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    From a female perspective and also as a mom of teen girls and someone who photographs a lot of senior girls, I have to agree with those who said the site is a little sterile. What works for me is that you do have a clean, organized layout, but it doesn't seem to speak to the "creative" element you are promoting.

Perhaps worry less about the wording and instead make sure you have some images that are going to appeal to the girls and their moms. Images that reflect the creative difference you are talking about. If you want to "start the conversation" then let your images do the speaking first. I know you mentioned you don't have a lot of senior girls yet to show, but that should be a priority if those are the types of clients you hope to attract.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    edited May 27, 2012
    kd2 wrote: »
    From a female perspective and also as a mom of teen girls and someone who photographs a lot of senior girls, I have to agree with those who said the site is a little sterile. What works for me is that you do have a clean, organized layout, but it doesn't seem to speak to the "creative" element you are promoting.

Perhaps worry less about the wording and instead make sure you have some images that are going to appeal to the girls and their moms. Images that reflect the creative difference you are talking about. If you want to "start the conversation" then let your images do the speaking first. I know you mentioned you don't have a lot of senior girls yet to show, but that should be a priority if those are the types of clients you hope to attract.

Absolutely. I'm working on that aspect right now. Thank you for your feedback.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Collaborate is misspelled (step 2) on the process page.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2012
    Cuong wrote: »
    Collaborate is misspelled (step 2) on the process page.

Cuong

Nice catch. Thanks.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Wording / approach made me think of this setup (franchise) - mainly because I know someone who's running a local gallery.

Also, fwiw, the first time/glance I saw 'lab13' - in the typeface used - it looked like labia...
    Logic and everything else (including having an 'a' for comparison) told me otherwise ... but there you go.

Btw - I just asked mrs pp ... and she thought the same after never seeing your site before.
    She's been a special needs teacher for most of her life and has always stressed the 'shape of words' re typeface choice and legibility etc - especially when dealing with people who have some vision impairment.
    One of her tricks was to squint at the word to try to get some idea of what it might look like to the individual concerned.

In this situation, I suspect my grey matter was looking for full height 1 and 3 ... and not finding them, substituted the nearest fit option - but dunno.

Yes, I appreciate that some will think this says more about me than anything else, but considering your market ...

pp
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Also, fwiw, the first time/glance I saw 'lab13' - in the typeface used - it looked like labia...
    Logic and everything else (including having an 'a' for comparison) told me otherwise ... but there you go.

Btw - I just asked mrs pp ... and she thought the same after never seeing your site before.

In this situation, I suspect my grey matter was looking for full height 1 and 3 ... and not finding them, substituted the nearest fit option - but dunno.

Yes, I appreciate that some will think this says more about me than anything else, but considering your market ...

pp

Well I'm really glad it's not just that I have a perverted mind.
    I had to do a double take when I thought I saw the exact same thing! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Here's the link I forgot in #10 ...

pp

http://www.venturephotography.com/uk/
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    I agree with paul above. The logo needs to be redesigned me thinks.
    Btw, the site took a long time to load on Google Chrome with 20Mbps connection. So much so that I gave up. This was around 11:30AM PST on May 29 if it helps you.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    If it is a "studio that caters to senior portraits", why not name it something that indicates that, instead of "lab13"? Sounds like a place to drop off a specimen jar, and the design of the site reflects that, kind of.