compact flash card

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited July 7, 2014 in Accessories
I have not seen any new thread concerning the compact flash card relating to my question so let me ask about the difference between a average good compact flash card and a overprice overkill one.
Im shooting portrait and sport photography soccer U14.... and would like to purchase anonother card.
I ve a Sandisk but forgot what I have( not home right now) What should I be looking for as far speed and quality are concern?

Sorry Im not too familiar with cards

Thanks

Bounty
:photo

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Each camera has a maximum write speed. For best results, you want to buy cards that meet that speed. Buying cards that greatly exceed that speed makes no sense. Except for transfer speeds to your computer when the shoot is done. Doesn't sound like you are a pro, or in a big hurry, so I wouldn't worry about this aspect too much.

If you can say what camera you shoot with, we can offer some recommendations for cards. Also, how many photos do you take per outing? No point buying 64GB cards if you're taking 200 photos per day. :)
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Right you are about not being a pro and am not usually in a big hurry.
    I usually try not to shoot too much because of editing purpose later so I shoot 100 pictures per hour sometimes shooting up to 5 hours straight.
    Depends if Im shooting raw but my current sandisk 2 GB is doing fine for 3-5 hours of shooting .
    I just would like another card as a spare or when I shoot portrait and Sport in the same day.
    I have an old canon 30 D with a 70-200 2.8 Canon (I love my lens more than my body I know)
    In the future I'll be looking at a 60 Da,7 D, 5D mark II so the card would have to be compatible.
    Not sure I want more than 8 GB and not sure at all concerning the speed 30,40,60 mb/s???

Thanks
    edited May 30, 2012
    Well to be honest, it's pretty difficult to even FIND smaller than 8GB cards these days. I'd say that for sports work, you are going to want to be in a Sandisk Extreme if you end up on a 60D or a 7D. And in the sizes you are considering, you're going to be in the $50 range. Pretty cheap. As a dedicated sports shooter, I am in the 16-64GB Extreme or Extreme Pro cards.... and I can go through 15-20 per day. :)

Count your blessings.
    edited May 30, 2012
    WOW!!! 15-20 days????

Thanks for the info

Bounty
    edited May 30, 2012
    Well, not all through a single camera. Though I did go through 11 cards on a 2 camera shoot at the beginning of May. That was a LOT of shooting.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 30, 2012
    The Canon 60D uses SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.

I do not believe that the Canon 30D supports UDMA transfers, so a modern UDMA CF card may actually slow acquisition.

I would search for some older non-UDMA CF cards in the 2-4GB sizes.

Edit: These Sandisk in the 4GB size should do fine:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-CompactFlash-Memory-SDCFH-004G-U46/dp/B0007QU6ZQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1338415570&sr=8-13

Start with a couple and see what you think about them.

If/when you purchase a 7D or 5D MKII you can either use them as backup/extras, or you can sell them for $10 each with very little lost cash.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 31, 2012
    Thanks
    Im such a dinosaur with me 30 D but it does a good job.
    GREAT PRICE

THANKS LOT
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    4 gb
    Just a thought; after going through a card failure (only once I admit) I developed the following thoughts:

1. A card failure with a 8 GB card is much worse than if one card fails out of 2, 4 GB cards

2. The 4 GB card transfers nicely to a DVD disk for archiving the originals if you want. I usually do this at the end of a day of shooting.

For what its worth

Roger
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    I have bought and used most of the major brands of CF cards and I have finally settled on Transcend and ai have worked my way thru carious speeds of cards as I buy when on sale and it has usually been when I order a 133x card then the next time I want to add to the collection I have to go with the 266 or higher as that is what is available at the time...so I am using cards that range from 80x to 600x most of my cards are in the 300x with the 3 newest being 600x...now 99% of my shooting comes from portraits, weddings, land & city scapes, and macros with the other 1 or so % being wildlife and I have never been let down with my Transcends, which I find New Egg to be the best in price and also delivery....

I have went and shot some sports (minor league baseball and youth sports) and even my 133 & 300X cards did fine...however I am not a machine gunner .... I learned to shoot with film, so I trained my self to wait for the shot I wanted and I still do that today....I just having to cull images also...hate it.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 7, 2014
    I finally got my Canon 7 D Ziggy53 it has been a long time.....
    Anyway I still have my old card from my 30 D and so far so good but today what is a good reliable affordable flash card for my 7 D

Thanks

Bounty

ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Canon 60D uses SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.

I do not believe that the Canon 30D supports UDMA transfers, so a modern UDMA CF card may actually slow acquisition.

I would search for some older non-UDMA CF cards in the 2-4GB sizes.

Edit: These Sandisk in the 4GB size should do fine:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-CompactFlash-Memory-SDCFH-004G-U46/dp/B0007QU6ZQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1338415570&sr=8-13

Start with a couple and see what you think about them.

If/when you purchase a 7D or 5D MKII you can either use them as backup/extras, or you can sell them for $10 each with very little lost cash.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 7, 2014
    Rob Galbraith has done a great job testing cards with various cameras. His test results for the 7D are here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/camera_wb_multi_page0c99.html?cid=6007-10294

If you are shooting still images or video, many folks like the Trancend 16GB, UDMA 7, now available in 1000x (160/70 MB/s). I still use, and still like, SanDisk Extreme, 30MB/s and 60MB/s cards.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums