Canon 60d changing from raw to jpg

fotographfotograph Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 14, 2016 in Cameras
Hi, I'm new to this forum, this my first post here, I hope someone can help me out. I got a canon 60d for Christmas, I was shooting my son's basketball game last night, and when I imported the photos the camera switched from raw to jpg, all on its own. I never went into the menu and changed it. I did shoot one video and that's around where it switched. Any thoughts?

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Welcome to DGrin! Sorry to hear about your "surprise"! When you had a look at the menu settings of the camera after importing your images did you find that the menu had RAW format/size selected?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • fotographfotograph Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2012
    When I looked at the menu, it was set to large jpg, but I never changed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited January 11, 2012
    fotograph wrote: »
    When I looked at the menu, it was set to large jpg, but I never changed it.

Was large jpg how you had set the menu originally for that series of shots you imported, and it hadn't changed on the menu when you checked it after importing?

Neil

edited January 11, 2012
    I set the menu in the camera to capture in raw when I got the camera, I have never changed that, but after importing these 100 photos and 1 video, the majority of the images were captured as jpg. When I checked the camera after discovering that it had begun capturing in jpg, the camera was set to capture in large jpg. I never changed the capture settings in the menu.

When I got the camera I set it to raw, and have not changed it to jpg. So no, I didn't set it up to capture in jpg, I'm not sure if I've answered your question or not, I hope I did.

edited January 11, 2012
    Right. At this stage I'd suggest you reset the menus as you want them and replicate what you did before, stills and video, and check after shooting video and before importing anything, if any of your camera menu settings are now different to how you set them.

Neil

edited January 11, 2012
    That shouldn't be hard, there is another game Friday night.

If it does it again...do you think I should re-flash the firmware? It came with the latest firmware on the camera so I haven't tried to update it.

edited January 11, 2012
    fotograph wrote: »
    That shouldn't be hard, there is another game Friday night.

If it does it again...do you think I should re-flash the firmware? It came with the latest firmware on the camera so I haven't tried to update it.

I'd wait and see what your test reveals. In the meanwhile you could contact Canon where you are and ask them some questions.

Neil

• peter45peter45 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2012
    Hi fotograph, I just bought the 60D also and the exact same thing happened to me. Originally set to RAW, and on a trip overseas was taking in RAW, but when I took a video it converted itself to large Jpeg. Over 500 shots before I realised. It is impossible to accidentally change the settings. Did you find out what happened? Really interested to hear.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    This is a shot in the dark, because I don't have 60d, but is there a programmable raw/jpeg button on the 60d you could have pressed by accident?

I once set a programmable key on my camera to shoot 5 shot exposure brackets of +/- 2EV. I bumped it by accident and thought my camera was broken-- exposures were all over the place, and only about 1 shot in 5 was properly metered. :lol
    edited May 29, 2012
    Hi MarkR, thanks for the quick reply. There is no programmable button that I can find. You actually have to go into the menu and set this function. I will keep an eye on it, but doesn't seemed to have happened again, must somehow (and I don't know how) be driver error. Was a shame to lose my 500 RAW shots to Jpeg though.
    Cheers.ne_nau.gif
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    If you moved the shooting mode dial to a Custom Function that is set up to shoot JPG, then I could see this happening. That's the only way, off the top of my head, to put the camera in a mode which constantly shoots JPGs accidentally, and since Canon has no way of locking up your shooting mode, this can happen. The "one-touch RAW/JPEG" button (which I'm pretty sure is what a couple of others here are referencing) only affects the next exposure as far as I know. At least that is the case on the 7D.

Otherwise, a simple Google search reveals this information about your 60D as far as shooting RAW goes:

Switching to RAW (this is strange to me...using the Q menu for this, but I guess on the 60D things are different):

"In the Q menu, toggle down to the bottom right for the quality setting, press "set", then use the top wheel behind the shutter release to scroll through RAW choices. Wheel or toggle controls jpeg choice."

In the DPReview review, this is stated about the 60D, which throws up a red flag for me on this issue:

- The 60D also finally gains the ability to convert raw files to jpeg in-camera

I'd read your manual thoroughly, or if you already have, read it again and make sure you're not doing something related to "converting RAW to JPG in camera"...because that sounds an awful lot like the culprit here.
    edited May 30, 2012
    Hello Quincy T. Thanks for all the helpful suggestion.
    I checked my custom settings and don't have any set.
    I am sure I don't have a one touch RAW/JPEG button.
    It would be next to impossible to accidentally convert my RAW files to JPEG in camera.
    So, I think what could have happened is that while trying to video with the sun on my LCD screen I have pushed the Q button and changed the RAW to JPEG. Seems unlikely but the easiest to do.
    What do you think?
    Cheers.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Just a thought, I'm not positive(I think my 40D does this), but I believe if you change the mode dial from one of the "manual" modes(Such as P, AV, TV, or M) to one of the auto modes it may switch a lot of settings including file settings to the default settings as long as the camera is set to auto.

In short, did you change modes any time after setting it to raw?

Ben
    edited May 30, 2012
    Hi Ben, just did as you suggested, took a shot in auto but the resolution still stayed in RAW. I thought you had it there, as it is easy to miss the setting when you change the dial from AV or TV.
    Cheers.
  • mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Not having a 60D, I'm shooting in the dark here, but both of you mentioned video... could it be a situation where you were shooting in RAW, shot a video, and for whatever reason, when you put it back into a still-shooting mode, it reverted to JPG? Might be worth checking... but I can't say I've got any reason to think that might be the case.

I'd also just quickly scroll through each of the camera dial settings and ensure that ALL of them say that it's recording in RAW. I know Bendr mentioned that on his 40D it could be that in one of the Auto settings it's in JPG, while the others are RAW, and I think that was similar on my 50D.

Good luck figuring this one out!
    edited May 30, 2012
    Hi mjordanphoto, did as you suggested about scrolling through all the dial settings and discovered the C setting was in large Jpeg. Previously I had gone into the menu to select my custom settings (there were none). This was probably the culprit then, but I don't understand how that large Jpeg setting would have then gone to my AV or TV RAW settings after I took the video. I can understand turning the dial to C instead of video, but how would that change my settings?
    Thanks a lot.
    Cheers.
    edited May 30, 2012
    And speaking of video, and this may be the wrong place but I can't see anything in the video section that helps, I have Pinnacle studio 14 for editing, but my question is - how do I actually edit video? I only have the option to shorten the front or back of the clip. Is there any actual editing you can do, such as in DPP or PS for stills? Probably a dumb question.
    Cheers.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 30, 2012
    peter45 wrote: »
    And speaking of video, and this may be the wrong place but I can't see anything in the video section that helps, I have Pinnacle studio 14 for editing, but my question is - how do I actually edit video? I only have the option to shorten the front or back of the clip. Is there any actual editing you can do, such as in DPP or PS for stills? Probably a dumb question.
    Cheers.

Basic editing tips with Pinnacle Studio™ 14 & 15

Advanced editing tips with Pinnacle Studio™ 14 & 15

To see effects, filters and corrections:

Audio and Video Effects with Pinnacle Studio™ 14 & 15
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Most likely your dial accidentally went from one of the "advanced" modes to one of the "basic" ones, which have no RAW...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 30, 2012
    Thanks guys, and particularly for the links to the video editing.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    So, I think what could have happened is that while trying to video with the sun on my LCD screen I have pushed the Q button and changed the RAW to JPEG. Seems unlikely but the easiest to do.
    What do you think?
    Cheers.

I think that's the most likely scenario
    edited May 31, 2012
    Thanks for all the helpful comments.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    Hi Ben, just did as you suggested, took a shot in auto but the resolution still stayed in RAW. I thought you had it there, as it is easy to miss the setting when you change the dial from AV or TV.
    Cheers.

Weird, They must have changed it, I just tested it on my 40D, and when the dial was set to any of the auto modes(Green Square, Portrait, Landscape, etc.) it didn't even offer raw as an option, I was forced to use jpeg until I set it back to one of the manual modes.

Good Luck,
    Ben
  • photogbriphotogbri Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2013
    Any resolution?
    I know this thread is a bit old but I got my 60D this past summer and have had the same thing happen to me after shooting a video. Lately, it was right in the middle of a poorly lit birth photography session :\ Did anybody figure out what's happening?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 20, 2013
    This happened to me on a Canon 5D MKII. I shot a video and went back to shooting stills, which were all in JPG. Fortunately the camera kept using the flat video profile for still mode, so all was not lost.

I thought that it might be something to do with loading a Magic Lantern (ML) overlay, but since it happens to others (many of whom don't seem to have used ML) I strongly suspect that this is somewhat typical behavior for the camera to sometimes switch from RAW to JPG as a result of using video mode. (I do wish that this behavior was selectable and optional, but I haven't seen a pertaining menu item.)

It seems that sometimes the camera may also shift from RAW+JPG to JPG only, if the camera senses the storage card getting full, as this person discovered with his 7D:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread19970.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • grepgrep Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2016
    I found this thread after having something similar happen to me (my Canon 60d switching the Image quality setting on me - going from highest pixel count / quality to a lower quality and pixel count). After playing around with my camera, I think what may have been the cause in my situation is a Custom Function
    C.Fn IV: Operation / Others ==> Option 2, Assign SET button ==> Choice 1, Image Quality

I had been playing around with custom functions at some point in the past and I may have set the above custom function to make pressing my SET button control the Image quality. If that was the case, then I could see how I could easily change my Image quality setting accidentally without noticing.

Hopefully this info will help anyone else who runs into this situation.