Options

Hong Kong/Macau/Singapore in 96 hours

ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited June 4, 2012 in Journeys
I had to go to a conference for work in Singapore (such a rough life!), so I decided to make a mini tour of it with a 48 hour layover in Hong Kong and a few hours in Macau.

Lots of photos, sorry about that!

First off, Hong Kong

First meal in Hong Kong, fresh from 26 hours of flights and layovers. So good and so cheap (~$4 US. beer included) From an stall down a random alley in Kowloon.
KTS_2001.jpg

Porsche #23453543534 I saw while in HK.
KTS_2021.jpg

Occupy Hong Kong, housed under the HSBC headquarters. Employees and Occupiers seem to be friendly, unlike in the US.
KTS_2033.jpg

The view from Victoria Peak
KTS_2073.jpg

Beef Balls (much better than it sounds)
KTS_2267.jpg

Haiphong Road Temporary Market (where 'temporary' means 30 years and counting)
KTS_2274.jpg

Night time light show (handheld with 3200ISO, I really should have brought my tripod)
KTS_2316.jpg

Alleyway street market in Central
KTS_2369.jpg

'Soy sauce western' breakfast
KTS_2378.jpg

Awesome soy sauce western dai pai dong (road side food stall)
KTS_2380.jpg

Guy wearing a metal hat. Apparently tin foil is not strong enough.
KTS_2399.jpg

Tim Ho Wan. World's cheapest Michelin starred restaurant
KTS_2413.jpg

Crispy pork buns. SO, SO GOOD!
KTS_2401.jpg

Touristy shots of Central Hong Kong
KTS_2422.jpg

KTS_2428.jpg

Macau - only spent about 2 hours here but wish I had had more time to check it out.

1970s tacky
KTS_2182.jpg

Ruins of St Paul's
KTS_2208.jpg

Being that guy and taking photos behind the wedding photographer for a couple who were just married
KTS_2221.jpg

More tackiness
KTS_2258.jpg

Then on to Singapore!

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple
KTS_2475.jpg

Maxwell Road Hawker's Market. When in doubt, follow the line
KTS_2483.jpg

Chicken Rice, the national dish of Singapore. Not a huge fan of the chicken but the rice was soooooooo good!
KTS_2480.jpg

Little India
KTS_2500.jpg

Little India
KTS_2502.jpg

Makansutra's Gluttons Bay (probably the Ritziest hawker's market but so worth it!)
KTS_2804.jpg

Best. Fried. Rice. Ever. (I would kill for another plate of this stuff. Seriously.)
KTS_2510.jpg

Light show at the Marina Bay Sands. (I found a place to rest my camera and with the help of a book made a makeshift tripod setup.)
KTS_2544.jpg

A very cool photo exhibit of the old Supreme Court on display at the Asian Civilization Museum. These photos really help inspire me to keep working to improve my urban exploration photography.
KTS_2606.jpg

NO WAY OUT.
KTS_2632.jpg

You know you're staying at a high end hotel when... (Note: I was not staying at this hotel.)
KTS_2635.jpg

Classic shot of downtown Singapore with the Merlion
KTS_2655.jpg

Marina Bay Sands. ("It looks like 3 tall towers with a cruise ship sitting on top of all 3 towers.")
KTS_2682.jpg

Fancy infinity pool on the top of the Marina Bay Sands
KTS_2703.jpg

A short study of lighting - taken from the top of the Marina Bay Sands

wait for it...
KTS_2727.jpg

wait for it...
KTS_2761.jpg

almost there...
KTS_2771.jpg

jackpot!
KTS_2780.jpg

Thanks for checking these out. I wish I had had more time to check more of all three countries on my trip but with only 8 days, and 4 of those lost to my conference and flying to/from I had to fit in as much as I could. I think I did a pretty good job. I can't wait to go back since I loved both places more than words can describe.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 4, 2012
    The Sands has some unique engineering challenges with the cantilevered roof deck which make it pretty interesting. Very cool space indeed.

Looks like you managed to get around quite a bit too :D Love the crispy pork buns-want to try them now.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Great snaps! I would kill for that plate of fried rice also eek7.gif..just say'n
    Love the night shots, best part of any city.
    Gary