Options

DPP Slow with 5D3

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited June 5, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Anyone else experiencing this? Even in "high speed" mode, 5D3 files take a lot longer (several seconds) to snap into a high quality view than 5D2 or 7D files. I find I can't critically judge focus (at 50% view for me) until the final image is completely rendered. This is sucking the fun out of working on a batch of images. Wonder what the solution is, other than to wait for a new version of DPP. And no, I don't like LR. :scratch
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 4, 2012
    I'm using the High Quality setting. Probably half as fast to pop into view at full res compared with my 40D images, which is as expected, as the file sizes are twice that of my 40D. Slow for me is when I'm loading 3 images into the HDR function and check the align box. I'm using a Mac Pro and Snow Leopard. The slower speeds don't bother me too much. What I find fast about the new DPP is the indexing of images into thumbnail view. That doesn't take any longer than with smaller file sizes, or if it does, I don't notice any speed hit.

BTW, Im moving this into Dig Darkroom, as it has to do with computer speeds and such.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    In the Edit Image window, all my newly imported images load at 1/2 to 3/4 a second each for previews no matter what the % size is, so I just keep it at %100 and use the thumbnail image navigator with %100 double click to judge focus quickly. Once the previews have been cached though, its all instantaneous after that switching between pictures at %100.

In the quick queck window, it takes around 1 to 1.5 seconds each. Quick check should be renamed "Misleading time waster that doesn't even give a thumbnail image navigator." Just select all your images and view them in the Edit Image window at %100. You can't directly delete an image but you can use X to mark rejects and delete them in the thumbnail window.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    In the Edit Image window, all my newly imported images load at 1/2 to 3/4 a second each for previews

Are you sure? That's fast. I'm talking about the fully rendered image with all sharpening applied, yes? It's the third version you see when you bring up an image. The first is a garbled mess, then a somewhat passable preview, then the final image. What machine are you on? I'm on a 3.6 GHz iMac. I think you're right though, the Edit Image Window seems a little faster.

I have noticed one thing now, and that is that if you crop an image and then view it by double clicking the thumbnail in the main window (which I think of as the "nomal" way - I guess this is the Quick Check window?) it's a lot slower than if you don't crop first. Hmm.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Are you sure? That's fast. I'm talking about the fully rendered image with all sharpening applied, yes? It's the third version you see when you bring up an image. The first is a garbled mess, then a somewhat passable preview, then the final image. What machine are you on? I'm on a 3.6 GHz iMac. I think you're right though, the Edit Image Window seems a little faster.

I have noticed one thing now, and that is that if you crop an image and then view it by double clicking the thumbnail in the main window (which I think of as the "nomal" way - I guess this is the Quick Check window?) it's a lot slower than if you don't crop first. Hmm.

Yeah, fully rendered. I guess it goes so fast I didn't even know there were 3 versions; I only thought there were 2: the garbled mess and the full rendering. Lol. I'm currently using a self-built Win7 tower that has an i5 2500 3.8GHz quad with about 90MB/sec sustainable throughput on the HDD. For me the difference between the quick view and edit window is pretty drastic.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 5, 2012

Something is wrong with this. Cropped RAW images in DPP remain full sized. The metadata has the cropping points added to it, that's all, along with any rotation direction if you have leveled it. The time to display should be the same. Now, a cropped and re-saved image TIFF should be snappier, because it doesn't go through as many calculations to be displayed, and also has smaller dimensions.

And yes, 3 renderings, and perhaps even 4. The thumb (from a RAW) is from the JPEG hidden in the raw file, but it might itself need to be re-rendered to the one of three thumb sizes you specify in your display preferences. Then the quick display that isn't 100% size, which happens in either quick display or with the quality display, and lastly the 100% size rendering. I find the full 100% view is the slowest of those.

EDIT ONE DAY LATER: Whoops. I just noticed that there are three stages of renderings in the Fit To Window view, and that last one does take quite a while - longer in fact that when in 100% view. I have never waited long enough to see that, always forcing 100% view instead. This could be a plus, as the middle rendering is pretty good and enough res to make quick decisions to rate the shots.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky