Options

Senior (my niece)

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited June 14, 2012 in People
Hi all,

It's been AGES since I've been able to hang out here or take non-candid people photos, for that matter. I've missed DGrin!

Feeling rather rusty, I'll submit these few of my niece I shot for her senior photos. All shot with the Canon 7D and 85 1.8. Minimally processed in LR 3. (Edited to add: 2-5 used an external flash through umbrella, held by my sis-in-law as my light stand is broken.)

1 - Red t-shirt is from her chosen university. The red may be a tad saturated in these?
IMG7366-XL.jpg

IMG7279-XL.jpg

IMG7227-XL.jpg

IMG7409-XL.jpg

5 - I thought the space on the left of this one would work well to place her name and class year for sharing with friends/family.
IMG7442-L.jpg

Thanks for any feedback!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited June 3, 2012
    I think you did a nice job on these. Especially the first and last which are my two favorites.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Nice set!!! Lovely expressions.

Only nit picky thing I see is the purple bush behind her head in number four and a pretty harsh shadow on her neck in number two.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Very nice job.!!!!!!!!
    I'll go with first and last.
    The whole set in very nice.
    I agree with Bryce comment for # 4.
    Y.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    Thanks, Ian! 1 and 5 are two of my faves as well.
    Bryce, I appreciate your comments. And here I liked the purple bush in #4. :D Yes, I am bummed about that shadow.
    Thank you very much, Yaflyyadie!

This evening we shot just a few more, this time in her cloak that I made for her a number of years ago. She is a huge fan of things medieval, so this is representative of her as well. These were also shot with the 85 1.8, but natural light this time.

IMG7914-XL.jpg

IMG7963-L.jpg
    Elaine

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Elaine, these are beautiful (as is your lovely niece!)

I actually like #4 - I think it's one of the best expressions, and is definitely her "grown up" look. I agree about teh purple bushes, but I like the shot so much I wonder if it might be worth cloning over them (either with white flowers, or even leaves, to tone them down?)

#6 is magical - that path, the trees and her expression combine for some real mystery! Does that one look good with some "artsy" processing, too? I can just imagine it with some other possibilities to give it a fantasy feel........
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    Thanks, Diva!

I'm chuckling a little bit about those purple flowers as I really liked them as they are. mwink.gif I think my niece and sis-in-law would prefer them to stay as well, but since they have been brought up here, more than once, I may see what just changing the color of them would do to the image.

Yes, I think some artistic processing would serve #6 well. I've been shooting mostly sports stuff lately (swimming and baseball), so I haven't stretched my processing at all for a very long while! I think I'll have some free time next weekend, so I may have to play a bit. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Elaine

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Like 3 and 6. Great looking subject.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    I really liked all of them. I really like the composition and the posing. I really appreciate a great photo where nothing is chopped off at a weird place. You had nice backgrounds, a great subject, great skill!
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Nice set of photos! I love #6!
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    MeurycMeuryc Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    I like 6 and 7 the best. The smiles in all the others look forced. Reminds me of my daughter when she isn't in a posing mood. I think you should find the landscaper and ask them to fix the purple plant, they really should know better than to mix and match colors like that.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    4, 5 and 6 are my faves!

I see what is said about the purple flowers and all, but I like #4 none the less.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2012
    Thank you very much, everyone! Appreciate the feedback. I was pretty nervous about doing these as it's been a while since I've tackled a people project like this. I have a few others as well, making a nice, varied collection. I think I'll put together a collage.

Who knew purple flowers would cause such controversy?!?!? rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    lovely stuff
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Love the lighting, not harsh at all .
    :photo
  • Options
    AprilHiteAprilHite Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Love the lighting, not harsh at all .

I love the one on the bench but I like them all. Great job!!!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2012
    Thank you!
    @Bounty...you commented on the lighting. I shot these in the evening and the morning. Technically, I didn't go early enough in the morning and still needed to look for open shade and use my flash. I was able to find some spots where the light was right, but time of day and location were my first considerations. I mention this because it came up in your family post.
    Elaine

• Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Hi Elaine! I think you did a great job on all of them! With an added prop (a short stick being held out by her) in #6, it would have looked like a scene from Harry Potter! :D

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I didn't mean to start a "purple bush" controversy. It was only meant as an extreme "nit picky" thing as it competed for my attention a bit with the lovely models face. It's a lovely shot indeed.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    What a sweet looking young lady!

Elaine,
    Nice to see you 'round! I think you've done a wonderful job here. The lighting...especially the flashwork is "just enough" without calling attention to itself. The location, posing, and compositions all work well. thumb.gif

Oh...I forgot....Nice colors too!!!

:D