Options

Which software for showing a slideshow on location?

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited June 7, 2012 in Finishing School
Hi,

I want to setup a laptop at the reception of a wedding, but can't find a slideshow software
that locks the keyboard so that people don't mess up the slideshow by accident. Any
recommendations?

Thanks!
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I don't know about the software, but have you thought of making a little platform or tray made of plastic, wood, metal, etc to cover the keyboard. You could have text and or design on the cover.

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    I found a simpler solution: I'll use Lightroom for the slideshow and lock the keyboard with one of the
    numerous keyboard lockers (i.e. KidKeyLock). This disables windows system shortcuts as well.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    How about creating a video slideshow and putting on a DVD and playing it with a portable DVD player, or just using a digital photo frame?

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    Video slideshow takes some (little?) time to render and/but consumes much more battery than a simple image based slideshow.
    A portable DVD Player has a much too small display which would require me to also supply another display which I would like to avoid
    as I am already schlepping to much gear to the venue ;) The next time I plan to pass around an ipad with a slideshow/gallery.
    It should be as simple as possible (put pics on it and be done) and allow anyone to see the pictures comfortably.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I create photo/videos using Photodex Proshow Producer - not cheap and windows only. It takes time, especially if you are using old photos. Add music and some great transitions. Can also titles, text, video and voice over. There is a wizard to help create a show in little time.

Since I use the projectors available at the place being shown, I call in advance and get the brand and model number.

Then I research its native aspect ratio and resolution. Too often it is 4x3 and 1024/768.

I prefer 16:9 and higher resolution.

Then I create the video using the native aspect ratio and generate an executable at the highest resolution the projector will handle and play it.

If it is to be shown as a background like at a graduation party, I use auto replay and let it go.

Additionally, I will change the show to fit 16:9 and create a DVD as a gift.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I create photo/videos using Photodex Proshow - not cheap and windows only. It takes time, especially if you are using old photos. Add music and some great transitions. Can also titles, text, video and voice over. There is a wizard to help create a show in little time.

Since I use the projectors available at the place being shown, I call in advance and get the brand and model number.

Then I research its native aspect ratio and resolution. Too often it is 4x3 and 1024/768.

I prefer 16:9 and higher resolution.

Then I create the video using the native aspect ratio and generate an executable at the highest resolution the projector will handle and play it.

If it is to be shown as a background like at a graduation party, I use auto replay and let it go.

Additionally, I will change the show to fit 16:9 and create a DVD as a gift.

Phil

The nice thing about Proshow Gold, is when you create a DVD, you have the oprion to either include or exclude the orginal files on the DVD. If your worried about them printing them, just exclude the original files, and all they get is the video slide show.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    The nice thing about Proshow Gold, is when you create a DVD, you have the oprion to either include or exclude the orginal files on the DVD. If your worried about them printing them, just exclude the original files, and all they get is the video slide show.

GaryB

Yep, I did that recently. Gave the person a DVD with the executable and photos. A separate DVD for TV use, with a nice looking label too. Professional looking.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil