Options

Portsmouth NH

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited June 30, 2004 in Landscapes
Couple of shots taken yesterday in Portsmouth NH - old Tug boats and lobster dingys.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 29, 2004
    dingys
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2004
    evening street
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    dingys
    Love this one. Simple and elegant.

The first one is nice but a little busy maybe? I am just guessing what makes me not like it as much as the second.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

The first one is nice but a little busy maybe? I am just guessing what makes me not like it as much as the second.
    thanks greap... yeah.. it is busy, I think looking at it I wanted busy.. thanks for comments, I'm feeling photographically....um...lost???ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    evening street

Not sure about the cars, and maybe the compo----

but the QUALITY OF LIGHT on the building and in the sky is really, really cool. I love the way the sunlight hits the bricks. Beautiful.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Couple of shots taken yesterday in Portsmouth NH - old Tug boats and lobster dingys.

I agree with other comments about the background having too much in it. You might have been able to alleviate that by shot angle change though. I think I would have tried to take the shot from an angle WRT the boats, maybe at 45 or 60 degrees off center. This would capture them more broadside and fill out more of the frame with the helm structures and hulls. You might also have more options WRT the background, too; it's really crying out for a plain background.

I like the dinghies, but I have a soft spot for dinghies:

CRW_2284.sized.jpg
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    ya did good lynn!
    lynnma wrote:

i used to spend a lot of time in portsmouth nh .. lovely town. you captured it so well. love the dinghies!
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i used to spend a lot of time in portsmouth nh .. lovely town. you captured it so well. love the dinghies!
    Thanks Andy, I kinda like the dingys myself.. you must know the Portsmouth Brewery then... being hoisted up those front steps in a wheel chair was a gas... coming out was even funnier!! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    I agree with other comments about the background having too much in it. You might have been able to alleviate that by shot angle change though. I think I would have tried to take the shot from an angle WRT the boats, maybe at 45 or 60 degrees off center. This would capture them more broadside and fill out more of the frame with the helm structures and hulls. You might also have more options WRT the background, too; it's really crying out for a plain background.

CRW_2284.sized.jpg
    I am kind of confused as to who posted this shot, but I like it. Is this the one that is busy???? I like it. Lots of color and lots of texture, I like them together, it is different. Just MHO. It might be crying for a plain background, but I like it. With a plain background it might be just another boat picture.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

I have trouble, myself, separating the boats from the background, the bldgs.
    Might be why you don't like it as well. I like it, but I wanted some blurring, or a bit more blurring to the bldgs behind the boats, but I haven't seen it that way, so maybe it is best this way.

Lynn, you are feeling lost, I think you are doing great with the photography. And probably chopping at the bit. I spent the day trying to keep my computer going. I just can't get excited about this next challenge.

I gave Seamaiden some advice about Challenges, I never take my own advice, smile. Can't calm down and just take some shots and go, I get down deep and dirty, I guess I am just tired of being stressed. But I bet you are raring to go. Nice photos. And you are still in a wheelchair?

Oh, a thought you might enjoy, I leave the back door open for the dogs (hot in here, but they like it,) it is closed with the a/c on right now. But what you might enjoy is that I am itching all over, mosquito bites, I think. Usually they spray, I have never been bitten like this, not here, indoors.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    clap.gif Lynn, I like all of 'em! I see people's point about the tugs blending in. Perhaps a different angle, more from a 3/4 angle, would have put them in more relief. Or the use of a wide aperature to blur the background. But I love the look of the tugs. The dingy shot is, literally, a classic composition. And the street shot shows how much you've grown as a photographer in the last few months: nice composition and use of light. Nice work, Lynn!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif Lynn, I like all of 'em! I see people's point about the tugs blending in. Perhaps a different angle, more from a 3/4 angle, would have put them in more relief. Or the use of a wide aperature to blur the background. But I love the look of the tugs. The dingy shot is, literally, a classic composition. And the street shot shows how much you've grown as a photographer in the last few months: nice composition and use of light. Nice work, Lynn!
    Thanks Sid.. the tugs I could only take from that direction (on one leg, escaped from the wheelchair for a second) the dingys pulled me over the rail from the street and I like how they worked.. the street I grabbed flying by in the car, they would'nt stop for me.. so I have to work with what I can steal but ya know Sid? it's fun. The way I look at it is I'm biding time til I can use two feet again, about 3 months should do it.. I'm shooting calendar girls again today.. dont ask me how I"m gonna do it..rolleyes1.gif life is good is it not? at least I will heal... a lot of our young people fighting for us will not.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    I lilke all 3 Lynn, particularly the softness of the light on the buildings & cables of the last one, and the contrasting lines/grains of the boards, and the shapes/angles of the dinghies.
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am kind of confused as to who posted this shot, but I like it. Is this the one that is busy???? I like it.

The busy shot was the one with the tugboats. I liked her dinghy shot, and posted my own (with the multicolored boats that you replied to) as a kind of exercise in compare-and-contrast.

jim
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2004
    jimf wrote:

CRW_2284.sized.jpg
    South Georgia "Dingys" - not quite the same? :)

5669998-M.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com