Options

High Key...looking for feedback

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,277 Major grins
edited June 21, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
This high-key is new to me. I shot some photos of my daughter and boyfriend and used Photoshop to create something that I think looks high key. Any thoughts on these? Did I do it right? Any suggestions to improve?
i-N6rLMWw-M.jpg
i-P989kmQ-M.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    I like the second one better, the blacks aren't so saturated. I'd suggest that they wear light colored clothing, and get a lighter background, so that the details in their hair and their eyes are the only midrange and low range values.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Another for 2
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    This high-key is new to me. I shot some photos of my daughter and boyfriend and used Photoshop to create something that I think looks high key. Any thoughts on these? Did I do it right? Any suggestions to improve?

Kate, I think you can do better and here's how.

1. Choice of Back ground. Choose a non-contrasting BG with light/lighter tones.

2. Place your subject in front of the BG and work on exposure going up as far as one stop over exposed.

3. Hopefully you end up with a non-distracting but complimentary BG and good tonal quality in your Skin ( if you choose to shoot people) or main subject.

Your Photo #8 (three Boys) in Your Best of 2011 gallery is a prime example of good skin tonal range.
    And your #4 (Winter scene) in the best of 2010 gallery is a good example of great tonal quality and HIGH KEY overall. ( Hope I got the numbers right!)

Just my opinion and Hope that helps.
    tom wise
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    They're washed out. You've lost too much detail for the images to be interesting. What you have here is very high contrast. They're almost lithographs, which consist of pure whites and pure blacks - like a printed page of text on high-quality paper stock.

I posted this image in another thread:

2012-05-19_17-20-14_69.jpg

You'll note that there is a lot of white, but there's also a lot of detail: nothing is washed out. (The loss of detail in her coat is due to this being a photo of a photo, yet the details aren't completely lost. In real life, I could see every hair on her coat.). There's detail everywhere and the image is light, but the contrast is relatively low. What you want to do is go for light with detail, not bright! Then you'll have two amazing images.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I really like the framing, expressions, focus & lighting in #2. You could try using the layer blending mode "screen" & adjust the opacity to add more of a high key look.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,277 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    I'm seeing lots of images without detail. I guess I don't understand high key..... Is there a single definition of high key??

As many definitions as there are pictures, probably. The commonality is that the peak of an image's histogram, the bulk of the histogram, be to the right of 127.

For some definitions, saturated values considered allowable, for other definitions (the ones I favor) the general ideals of good exposure without blown out highlights are still followed.

This is going to be a hard challenge to judge, since the amount of detail seen in any of these images is going to be highly monitor dependent. The histogram of your second image (the one I like better) shows clipped values on the right side, but on one monitor, it looks like those values are found only on the arm on the left, and the guys face, but the girls face has a lot of detail, maybe only blown out pixels along her nose. On another monitor a lot less detail is visible. I think you can back off on the exposure a bit and stretch out the values more evenly above 127, but remove all excess dark details around the subject, to keep the overall image bright.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2012
    I found myself asking the same thing about blown-out areas (fine if it's in the background, or areas of little interest?) vs. overexposure vs. hi-key. I think you've got the basic idea right with a light background like #1 and a more moderate tone for the woman's hair and face like #2.
    edited June 21, 2012

You're not alone either!

As far as I know there's not a single definition. But we can create one.

I'll start :)

Use _______(insert key here) Key to show my eyes where they are supposed to look.

Pretty simple.

So instead of using only composition, or only this or that rule, and in this instance using high key, (like others have posted) Use the key to tell me where in the image I am to be drawn too. Your images above are in the higher key, but they don't easily tell me where I am to be drawn too.

I think that is as close to a definition as I can create.
    tom wise
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2012

My understanding of high key is the most detail should be on the subject.

HK-lollisn-M.jpg

This is what I think of as High key the players face is the subject so that is where the most detail is.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU