Options

Old Journey - Hilter's Eagle's Nest 1950

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
edited June 20, 2012 in Journeys
Right after WWII my dad took our family to Europe. My mother made arrangements for the trip and one of the arrangements she made was for us to meet her friend Peg and Peg's husband Bob. Bob was a Colonel in the US Army. He was stationed in the US sector and he had a car. First we went to the walled city of Rotenburg. After the devastation we saw in Cologne, my mom remarked that the city was spared by war

M1800-Rotenberg00350016.JPG

It probably looks much the same today as it did in 1950 but these children

M1803-00350050.JPG

are no doubt grown up by now. We wanted to see the clock in the square strike -my mom's notes say "saved by 1 citizen daring to drink 3.5 quarts wine at one gulp". I don't know how accurate that story is.

M1814-00350042.JPG

My dad liked the sculptural signs. He also liked taking photos of the local people like these wood gatherers (who are a bit out of focus)

M1815-00350041.JPG

and this one of a goose woman

M1821-00350035.JPG

This is the Pforshheim snack bar - July 2, 1950 - my sister, Peg, me, Bob, and my mom

00002022.jpg

Street in Mannheim

M1826-Mannheim00350030.JPG

M1864-00270001.JPG
This was the hotel we stayed in in Austria just before we crossed the border - where we spent the night - Our room had a balcony - cost 50 cents July 9, 1950

M1865-Sunambkfst00370056.JPG

Breakfast on Sunday morning

M1866-00370055.JPG

Dignified old lady on her way to church on a bicycle. She stopped for Daddy to take her photo.

M1832-00350024.JPG

a different hotel

Since Bob was a colonel, he had access to some restricted areas, like this one

M1868-00370035.JPG
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    I thought you might like to see how it was back then

M1869-Gobelshouse00370034.JPG

Goebel's House

M1871-ruinsbarracks00370033.JPG

ruins of the SS barracks

M1875-00370028.JPG

view from the Eagle's Nest

M1876-00370027.JPG

And this is my favorite photo - the slide is titled "Hitler's window" (it had no glass at that time of course)

M1877-00370026.JPG

Daddy had us stand silhouetted in the window - Bob is on the left pointing, then my mom and sister and I'm on the right

After that everything was sort of an anticlimax but my dad took some more photos of people in Typical Sunday-go-<wbr>to-meeting clothes - Berchtesga<wbr>rden

00000681.jpg

M1878-00370025.JPG

M1881-00370022.JPG

M1884-00370019.JPG

and a traffic cop that my dad also took movies of him directing traffic.

M1886-00370017.JPG

These people were by a roadside shrine
    M1891-00370014.JPG

Street fair

M1894-00310009.JPG

I hope you find these photos from the past interesting
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    I found it really interesting as living in Zurich we go and visit these places some time - but although i've driven past not yet been to Eagle's Nest - although I would like to go visit the site.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a beautiful town with a nice Christmas market too :D

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    I haven't been back, but I've seen photos and it has really changed.

I think the dress of the people has probably also changed. My father was fascinated by those shaving brushes that they had on their hats - most of you guys are too young to know what a shaving brush is I guess.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    Lovely photos! My wife's family escaped Nazi Germany in 1938, and these kinds of photos are family treasures.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    Really nice series - especially that they are so close to the war and depicting that era. It is such a beautiful region.
    My favorite is the silhouette shot. Fun!

The people and places in the shots seem so much more quaint, untouched, and peaceful compared to early post-war depictions of the urban areas.
    I do see that the Goebels house had a big wake-up call on one fine day.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Logic 7Logic 7 Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    Thank you for sharing these and the story to go with them.
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2012
    My grandmother's family emigrated to the US in 1895 so that the sons would not have to serve in the Kaiser's army.

6995147_123343282178.jpg

Left to right - my grandmother (Mary Barbara aka Babette), her father Ernst, her brother Lenhard, her sister Margretha, and her brother John.

I'm wondering if the people were wearing their old fashioned clothes because they had nothing else to wear. My grandmother got letters from distant relatives asking for help and I have some of those letters.
    1946Sep25t100_5483-3.JPG
    1946Sep25t100_5483-4.JPG

This letter has been translated in part

Yes, dear Babett, times in Germany have been very hard. It is certainly a great deed that the churches there (in the USA?) have collected that much money to support the people in need. However, these things are mainly used for those expelled, people who had to leave a lot in their old home countries.<wbr>Because of the war we have not got anything and all, clothes as well as shoes, are that worn that one has, at best, got 1 pair of shoes, while the suits and dresses are, if that is possible, turned (my granny explained that this was done, when the outside of a dress got really shabby, turned inside out. Obviously, this is one of the impacts of the war. It won’t be possible to get new items quickly, as most companies were destroyed in the air attacks.Co<wbr>me to that, there are no machines to use, the old ones may not be used again. And it is going to take a couple of years till the rest of the population will be able to purchase clothes, underwear and shoes. You should really see in what a poor condition people walk about. Many have lost their flats, furniture, everything<wbr>. 80 % of Nuremberg was destroyed. There are ruins wherever you go to. I was very happy that my letter which I had sent to Silver Cliff, using your maiden name, was redirected to your new address. As for Mr Schlump whom you have asked for, we have not heard from him again. Nobody in Germany has heard from him, and he has never returned here...

My mother corresponded with some of the family and we met them in 1950 when we visited, and our family has visited again periodically.
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    What fascinating photos. I hope my photos can tell such a story and have such an impact 70 years from now. . . .
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2012
    Glad you liked them. I have photos from Switzerland, France and England that we also visited on that trip, and I may put them up too.

Also I went to Europe in 1964 (Germany, Spain, Portugal, France and Italy) and took a lot of photos in Lisbon of the fish and vegetable market by the river. I understand that area is no longer there. It's too bad as it was very picturesque.

If my heart and lungs hold out, I'm going to Australia in July. Maybe post some of those too.
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Oh my, those pictures and letters are priceless bowdown.gif
    Hard to imagine the hardship they must have been under for years to come.
    Gary