Options

Morro Bay

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 30, 2012 in Landscapes
Couple from Morro Bay. First one has been done many times by many photogs but it's a classic you got to shoot while there.

As always, feedback is welcome.

Morro Rock
DSC6005-Edit-XL.jpg

David & Chris
DSC6059-Edit-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Killer comp on that second one. Great sky and the rock and boat rust match!
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    #1 is a bit hot for me and the composition doesn't excite me that much.

Now #2... clap.gifclapclap.gif A different take, and I REALLY like the composition of the whole thing. You start with the boat, then "Who, that's Morrow Rock in the background! OH, CHECK OUT THOSE CLOUDS!" Great shot :-) Only thing that could improve it would be if it were closer to sunrise or sunset. But GREAT composition on that one.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    Thanks guys. I agree that the 2nd shot is much stronger but I personally love the first as well. It looks pretty cool, large, on my 27" display.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    JasonMorrowPhotoJasonMorrowPhoto Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    I really like the 2nd one. Good shot!
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    Hmmm....grew up in LA and never went to Morro Bay headscratch.gif

I personally like the first one. That sailboat clinches it for me. Perfect spot for it anchored in front of the rock. Adds depth, scale and interest.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2012
    Thanks Eyal. I agree. The sailboat is what makes the photo. Very simplistic. I got lucky. I've seen a lot of photos of Morro Rock but the harbor always has so many boats. Never seen one with just one sailboat anchored.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    I really like #2 for its composition. The boat in the foreground gives nice balance to the shot. I especially like this boat because I have friends (a couple) named David and Chris. :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2012
    Thanks Lauren.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    The second one is really spectacular Alex with a very powerful comp and great sky to blanace things out.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2012
    Thanks Derek.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    Compositions are nice, but it looks a little overcooked to me- it looks a little bit too much like Utah.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    Thanks for looking kolibri. Hmm... do you mean the oranges are too hot? I didn't do anything to saturation or vibrancy on these images. It could be the tonal adjustments I did through curves. Looks OK on my monitor though.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    Thanks for looking kolibri. Hmm... do you mean the oranges are too hot? I didn't do anything to saturation or vibrancy on these images. It could be the tonal adjustments I did through curves. Looks OK on my monitor though.

Well, I am not looking at this with a calibrated monitor, but on my monitor Morro rock is really red/orange/yellow, like red rock country. Looking at the histograms, the red channel has an extended upper tail that the blue and green doesn't. If you adjusted curves using the total value channel, I could see getting the red channel too hot, because that tail wouldn't show up as well.

Unless it's sunrise, I wouldn't expect Morro rock to look that red, it's dacite, not Navajo sandstone, it's very surreal to me.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.