Options

Sunrise on Dolly Sods, WV

WVMountaintopWVMountaintop Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited July 2, 2012 in Landscapes
My first post here as a new member of Digital Grin. This is one of my favorite places to camp in West Virginia. Comments are very welcome. Thanks... Dennis

Comments

• Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    My first post here as a new member of Digital Grin. This is one of my favorite places to camp in West Virginia. Comments are very welcome. Thanks... Dennis

beautiful! you certainly have some interesting place names back there... then again, with all the Native American names out here, i suppose we do too...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    WVMountaintopWVMountaintop Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2012
    It is actually named for German immigrant Johann Dahle who homesteaded the region in the late 1700's. We met some of his descendents who were having a family reunion of sorts last weekend when we were up there. It is a beautiful area and quite unique for this part of the country. West "By God" Virginia is a wonderful place for adventure...
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    Wow! That's quite a sunset! I love the detail in the rocks and the mist rising above the ridges. Dolly Sods has some spectacular views, but I don't recognize that vista. With that vantage point of the sunrise you must have been up high... on FR 79?... Bear Rocks?

Now for your first critique. There is a lot of uninteresting vegetation on the right hand side, and a bit on the left, too. I'd try to minimize the amount of that stuff in the picture. shifting a little right and aiming more to the left, zooming in, or maybe framing this shot as a portrait would do this. The portrait orientation would get the sun, sky colors, mist, and rocks in the foreground.

Overall I love the picture though - It makes me want to throw the pack in the car and escape this infernal heat (how hot is it up there?)
    edited July 2, 2012
    red_zone wrote: »
    Wow! That's quite a sunset! I love the detail in the rocks and the mist rising above the ridges. Dolly Sods has some spectacular views, but I don't recognize that vista. With that vantage point of the sunrise you must have been up high... on FR 79?... Bear Rocks?

Now for your first critique. There is a lot of uninteresting vegetation on the right hand side, and a bit on the left, too. I'd try to minimize the amount of that stuff in the picture. shifting a little right and aiming more to the left, zooming in, or maybe framing this shot as a portrait would do this. The portrait orientation would get the sun, sky colors, mist, and rocks in the foreground.

Overall I love the picture though - It makes me want to throw the pack in the car and escape this infernal heat (how hot is it up there?)

Hi Jake,
    I see what you mean about the vegetation. I should have zoomed in a bit perhaps as movimg to my right wasn't possible due to that very vegetation... it was too thick to get a vantage point. I have some other shots I will have to go through and perhaps post another...
    This view was looking east from near Redcreek Campground Sunday morning a week ago... That night it was in the low 50's. Great sleeping weather.
    Thanks for the compliments and critiques. I'm new to this site and hungry for the community that this site offers.
    Dennis