Options

Couples Shoot

RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited July 4, 2012 in People
My son's girlfriend came to visit before he leaves for Army basic training. The morning she left we went down to a local park so I could get a few shots of them. These are pretty much straight off the camera with a little cropping and straightening.

How could I have done better?

I'm trying to get better at this. My biggest frustration is focus. I seem to be dead on and then when I look at my images they just aren't where I want to be.

untitled-97-M.jpg

untitled-17-2-M.jpg

untitled-23-M.jpg

untitled-29-M.jpg

untitled-60-M.jpg

untitled-95-M.jpg

untitled-102-M.jpg

untitled-120-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    I think 7 is the best of the group. Thank him for his service.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2012
    Thank you
    for taking the time to respond.

What makes 7 the best. What could I have done better on the others.

I will pass on your thanks. Was hoping he'd do Navy like his mom, but I'm just happy he's doing something with himself.
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    I'm not seeing any issues with focus that scream that there is a problem. I myself am still trying to better recognize out of focus and motion blur when I look closely at my pictures. Then of course there is ruling out any actual problems with the lens, and some lenses are sharper then others.

Overall I like the shots. I know zero about posing people for shots, but the one thing that does tend to bug me is when little bits of body parts get cropped off. The tip of the toes or feet in a few of these. I'm guilty of it too, so I'm constantly trying to remind myself to check all the edges of the frame to make sure I'm not so focused on middle, that I forget about everything else.

Oh, and I'd probably would have skipped the sunglasses in #2, took me a minute to figure out "what is around his neck?"

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    Nice shots. Something that jumps out at me is cutting off toes/fingers. Watch for that.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    i would have to agree take a little more time check that you havent cut off feet heads etc. i dont know what focus point you used but i use just one focus on the eyes if possible if not the head then recompose the shot. you are using a shallow dof so that may be causing you to think you have focus issues. i would also shoot RAW and use some pp and add some sharpening. good luck
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    For what it's worth, I don't get why people get up in arms (so to speak) about cut off heads/feet/etc. It doesn't bother me one bit. The subject of the photos is rarely arms/feet/toes/fingers, and if you compose the shot to show off the subject (their smiles, heads, etc.), and as a result some limbs get cropped, who cares? Focus looks pretty good to me too though you might be shooting a slightly too slow a shutter speed so there's a bit of motion blur, I suspect (though it's a bit tough to tell at this resolution). For my taste, a couple of the shots are washed out and could use a bit more black to pump up the contrast -- 5 most notably, but 3 and 7 too. I'd crop #8 closer, get rid of some more of those feet/legs & extra space above their heads -- bring the attention in closer to the kiss.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    Thank you everyone. I am definitely taking note.