Options

Hottest day of the year and she is smokin

TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited July 6, 2012 in People
Here was my second shoot. Ryan is a great girl and has a wonderful look.

On the stone wall.

JAS-20120610549-L.jpg

Found a bit of shade and a rocking chair.

JAS-20120610614-L.jpg

Her dress was too hot so we decided to get a bit cooler.

JAS-20120610720-L.jpg

On the wall again
JAS-20120610714-L.jpg

Taking a break in the rocker

JAS-20120610842-L.jpg

Sitting under the trees till the sun came over the tree

JAS-20120610908-L.jpg

Decided a dip in the river is called for

JAS-20120610948-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    Let me start off by simply saying OMG :jawdrop

She is indeed smokin' and you've done a great job with the following nits:

In no. 2 I think I'm seeing some distortion. Based on the other images, her nose seems wider in that frame. At least to me. Funny though, this frame grabbed my attention first.

Nos. 3 & 4 violate my totally personal hatred of flip flops in anything that's not totally candid ( as in stalkingrolleyes1.gif ) other than that, love them both.

Love her expression in # 6 but the highlights are on her thigh, not her face which is bisected by shadows. Also just my preference but the crop should be either tightened or opened up. Don't know why but it feels cramped where it is.

Having spent all that time on the niitiest of nits, you did a nice job and she is really pretty.thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2012
    Thanks, for your comments. I had to shoot too early in the afternoon and therefore was seeking shade at all costs not to mentionthe temps were 104 degree. I think I opened up too much on a couple of them and went below 50mm. I was trying to stay in the shade too and avoid flare. I do not like flip flops either but it was either that or barefoot. SHe had a few dresses but it was just too hot for them. It was brutal and she was a trooper. I see what you mean about the shadow and the highlights. I liked the white bench but the light was just wrong. I had one off camera speedlight for fill. Thanks for hte Nits. IT is how we all learna nd get better at it.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2012
    thumb.gif Been there, done that with regard to shooting mid-day. Overall, it's a really nice series.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    holy wow! Gorgeous girl!

what were you using to light her up?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    #1 is just great but the peek a boo is too much. On the rest of them I find elements of the bkg very distracting from the shot.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    I'd prefer much less DOF in every one of these shots. 1 & 6 are the only ones that are even close to separating your model for the background.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2012
    Let me disagree with Hack and Brett on BKG. (here we go again Laughing.gif)

I don't find the background problematic except for possibly # 5. She is still gorgeous enough and lit well enough to keep my interest on her. I'll jump in the pool and take my beating with you Tin.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    You have a nice set for the most part. The viewer can almost feel the heat of the summer.

#1--I agree with Hackbone about the peek-a-boo. She's wearing a dress and unless the pose is intentionally provocative (which this isn't), showing the panties & the upper thigh on the right leg totally ruins an otherwise great shot.

#3--pose looks totally awkward, hair is a mess & hiding one eye in an unflattering way, & bright spot on knee.

I really love #1 except that the panties are showing. It's a beautiful shot.

Sherry
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    Haha, you should post the one of her sitting on the wall, looking directly at the camera. I saw that one and was like
    "there it is" Those eyes are killer, they pull you right in. I also like how the bkg wraps around her back, on the right, on the wall shots, nicely done.

#2 nice catchlights, but would love to see her eyes pop ever so slightly more.

The rocker shot (sitting) feels hazy? Maybe bump the black a smiggen?

She has a lovely lilting smile. I keep going back to the, behind the rocker shot #2, wanting to work on it lol. Nice work.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2012
    Thanks for all the comments. I will say that she was not wearing any panties on the dress shot. It was an issue later on as some of the places she was sitting was too hot. She went and got some bikini bottoms on. We were going to shoot a nude shot at a waterfall but it was too hot and we were done in and she did not want any lines so we put the top on and shorts and shot a few more and called it a day. It was 104 degrees and the weather was starting to get ugly. The storm that hit the Virginia and knocked out power to millions was only 45 mins after we stopped shooting.
  • Options
    rexbobcatrexbobcat Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    On my monitor they're all on the verge of being too underexposed for my taste. And number 5 has very stark, anemic light. A diffuser would have helped greatly.

Overall I think the weakest point is lighting. 1, 3, and 4 seems like they were all lit without a modifier from the front, which is fine if if it's subtle fill light, but they just seem very flat in my opinion. There's also a bit of dappled sunlight in these three, breaking he consistency of the lighting.

2 seems very flat as well. Like it needs a little more exposure, contrast, and color.

5 Is the best in terms of lighting, but it also seems underexposed.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    1 and 2 are good. 2 is good because the background actually helps contrast her dark outfit. The rest the lighting is flat, and the backgrounds compete with her. If the background is going to be that prominent, then you have to ask yourself would you take a picture of it without the model. For these except maybe the last one one no for me. More DOF could have been used to separate her from the background.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Hottest day of the year and she is smokin
    Good Afternoon,
    Very good late afternoon series, to say the least. I wanna see the rest of the pics mwink.gif
    Enjoy afternoon :D
    Jim...