Options

Can't install my old DPP disc

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited July 8, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Can you believe that I never installed Canon's Digital Photo Professional back when I bought my 40D? Well, I want to try the updated DPP with the HDR support but I can't install the update without first having the DPP on the system in the first place. So I get my install CD from my 40D and attempt to install that on my Mac. That disc is so old that it is a Power PC application and won't load on my Mac. So I can't get the DPP installed so that I can update DPP. Any ideas what to try? Thanks!
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited July 7, 2012
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    Thanks!
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    The latest DPP is full of amazing goodness for basic adjustments of images from Canon gear. Discovering this has been a problem for me, because I am no longer satisfied with what the major PP apps do in that regard, while at the same time needing them for special effects! So this means a RAW conversion in DPP (in sRGB colour space, though) and then a tiff import to somewhere else, an extra step, all the while I am trying to keep my pixels from getting bruised, and to get the most out of the other apps I use, which really needs to be with a RAW file!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    Hope to play with DPP soon, but at least its on the machine. I got it purely to do HDR with (see the thread on DGrin about HDR for real estate photography, which was done in-camera with a 5D Mark III, but the DPP software will do for me with my 40D). So I'm hoping to get some bracketed exposure captures and play around with DPP of some HDR stuff. Realistic looking HDR, not cartoonish stuff. :)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    After reading all the oo's and ah's I installed my old DPP and upgraded to the newest version.

First off, my workflow involves converting new imaged imported into LR to dng and low and behold DPP doesn't recognize dng. headscratch.gif

Still I loaded up a few crw files and had a go with DPP. I just don't see any advantage at all? I have far less processing options than LR and I would also need to slow down, and complicate my work flow.

So for me unless someone can show me some real definitive reason I'll stick with the LR RAW converter.

Sam
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    Sam, what you say is right, in a way. But I am amazed how truly easy a beautiful, beautiful result is got in DPP for exposure adjustment, NR (there is no comparison), CA, and colour tones adjustment - I do in about 5min what used to take 15-30min or more, and agonising minutes at that, in other PP appseek7.gif

DPP is a Canon photographers' tool, to get the best out of what comes out of the camera. It doesn't go any further than that. So if you want to do further editing/PP work you have to go elsewhere. Using Lr is adopting a style. DxO is about style, too. CaptureOne and Bibble are more neutral. DPP is nothing about style. But it is about unbeaten quality!

As I said above, the big drawback with DPP for me is having to work, after DPP, with a sRGB tiff (though 16bit), which is not ideal material in other apps, it's better to have the RAW, and ProPhoto colour space. But my goodness, the tiff that I bring into other apps from DPP is better prepared, and done in a few moments, than what those apps can do, before getting down to more customised effects.

Neil

PS I have developed a phobia about Lr because it always finds some way to stop me doing what I want. Sometimes I don't get past even the first locked gate of finding a file. If I do eventually get a file all the way through all the locked gates into the develop module it's like I just won a prize!

Sam wrote: »
    After reading all the oo's and ah's I installed my old DPP and upgraded to the newest version.

First off, my workflow involves converting new imaged imported into LR to dng and low and behold DPP doesn't recognize dng. headscratch.gif

Still I loaded up a few crw files and had a go with DPP. I just don't see any advantage at all? I have far less processing options than LR and I would also need to slow down, and complicate my work flow.

So for me unless someone can show me some real definitive reason I'll stick with the LR RAW converter.

Sam
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited July 8, 2012
    Sam wrote: »

Sam

The DNG file format is an Adobe thing and has nothing to do with Canon. DNG is also not supported by most other camera manufacturers' software. (Canon is not unique in this regard.)

The first benefit to Canon DPP is that it supports new Canon models before Adobe supports new Canon camera models. This means for "early adopters" of new cameras, DPP is the only way to get RAW images processed.

Canon DPP is the "only" RAW conversion software which can faithfully reproduce an in-camera JPG from the RAW file. Picture Styles and other camera image settings are recorded to the RAW files and DPP interprets the camera's settings inside of the RAW file to produce a JPG file which should be extremely similar to what the camera could have produced with the same settings.

Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) is only available through Canon DPP, automating spherical aberration, astigmatism, sagittal halo, curvature of field, chromatic aberration (both kinds), diffraction and low pass filter correction, effectively improving (sometimes dramatically) lens performance for 29 Canon lenses.

DPP can also automate Auto Lighting Optimizer, High ISO NR, Color Spaces, Peripheral Illumination Correction, Distortion Correction and Chromatic Aberration Correction, only some of which are available through third-party software (like Adobe products).

The free HDR processing of DPP is going to be valuable to some folks.

I will freely admit that Canon's DPP is not geared to high-volume workflow. I will freely admit that DPP is not as multi-purpose nor multi-capable as Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop, for instance.

DPP does have enough unique capabilities that every Canon shooter should explore and understand DPP for those opportunities where DPP is beneficial and productive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums