Options

7D burst mode counter

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited July 13, 2012 in Cameras
Am I missing a setting or is there something wrong with my 7D. My "shots left" in burst mode display in the view finder only shows 4 in P, AV, TV, and B modes yet in all other modes it shows varying amounts up to 87 or so. It isn't the CF card as it is a SanDisc Extreme, 60Mbs UDMA card. In high speed continuous it takes 4 shots has a very brief pause then shoots in short bursts of two. In low speed continuous it keeps shooting at the regular intervals. Could this be a setting issue I am missing or is it a sign of a shutter box problem??

OK sorry about this but I solved the problem but I don't know what I did to solve it :-) I reset the Custom functions to factory default so I don't know what changed. Obviously I changed a setting in there somewhere without knowing what effect it has on the camera. Now I get 84 count in the viewfinder and it shoots continuously. Still any ideas what fuction setting that would have caused that?

Okay here I go again...I have answered all my own questions but will leave this here in case it helps anyone else. It has all to do with High ISO noise reduction settings. I had set mine to strong and straight away it went back to 4 shots in the burst indicator. As soon as I turned it off it went to 84 with my ISO on 400. When I dropped that back to 100 ISO the count went to 94! Interesting all to do with the internal editing speed it would seem.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited July 9, 2012
    Good on you for this self-discovery. clap.gif

On page 224 of the user manual*, it mentions, under "C.Fn II-2 High ISO speed noise reduction", ...

"With setting 2, the maximum burst for continuous shooting will greatly decrease."

Setting "2" is for the highest level of noise reduction. For a compromise you may wish to choose "0", which is the "Standard" level of noise reduction.

What seems to be happening is that especially in the highest level of noise reduction, the shot buffer is used for something other than just image data.

I believe that the shooting rate of the Canon 7D also decreases in low light and high ISO conditions.

You can get a PDF copy of the User Manual at:

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-7D-Owners-Manual.pdf
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    Thank you Ziggy. As usual buried deep in the bowels of an almost unreadable manual but it is there I guess. Not something one picks up on and when I change that custom function I had no idea it would also change the burst rate count.
    Yes I also tried changing the ISO and checked the count and it did drop down the higher I went.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    Aussieroo wrote: »

OK sorry about this but I solved the problem but I don't know what I did to solve it :-) I reset the Custom functions to factory default so I don't know what changed. Obviously I changed a setting in there somewhere without knowing what effect it has on the camera. Now I get 84 count in the viewfinder and it shoots continuously. Still any ideas what fuction setting that would have caused that?

Okay here I go again...I have answered all my own questions but will leave this here in case it helps anyone else. It has all to do with High ISO noise reduction settings. I had set mine to strong and straight away it went back to 4 shots in the burst indicator. As soon as I turned it off it went to 84 with my ISO on 400. When I dropped that back to 100 ISO the count went to 94! Interesting all to do with the internal editing speed it would seem.

gotta watch those custom functions !