Options

Lens Help Washington DC

KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
edited July 10, 2012 in Technique
I am going to be in Washington DC for 4 days and I want a recommendation for a lens. I have a Canon 30D with the kit lens, a 50 1.4 and 70-200 2.8. I need something wide angled im thinking but not sure what you would all recommend. Maybe I dont need a wide angle. I just need some recommendations. I should let you know this will be a rental and not a purchase at this time. Guys and Gals thanks for all your help as always! (If this is posted in the wrong spot I apologize but I thought it was the correct one)
Kagan

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    My favorite walk around lens is the Canon 24-105mm. At F4, it’s pretty fast and has image stabilization.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 8, 2012
    On crop sensor cameras, like the 30D, the Canon 10-22 has a lot of fans, and is quite sharp.

The 17-40 L is another wide angle that is quite sharp and not too expensive for L glass, and will work on a full frame camera if you ever decide to upgrade in that manner.

I love the 24-105, but I like it better on a full frame, and not a crop sensor, camera body. It is my most heavily used single lens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The 17-40 L is another wide angle that is quite sharp and not too expensive for L glass, and will work on a full frame camera if you ever decide to upgrade in that manner.

That’s a very important consideration, don’t get a lens that you can’t take with you as you update the camera body!
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 9, 2012
    I love the 24-105 out of doors for its lighter weight and longer reach, but indoors I tend to favor the 1 stop faster 24-70 f2.8 L. AF works better in dim light, with an f2.8 lens.

Not a big issue, but something I think about if I am going to be indoors and don't mind the heavier faster lens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    Thank you all for your help!
    Kagan