Options

Is the smugmug API server down?

arjunrcarjunrc Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
I've been trying to connect via my program. Have a valid API key.
Since morning I've been getting
Cannot connect to api.smugmug.com:443

when I try and login.

It was working yesterday. I am not behind any proxy etc.

Trying to do a direct telnet works
[arjun@~] telnet api.smugmug.com 443
Trying 23.13.154.179...
Connected to e2605.c.akamaiedge.net.
Escape character is '^]'.

The code that is failing today is using login_withPassword.
I am using WWW::SmugMug::API wrapper in perl. Its not a credential issue - as its saying cannot connect

Comments

• Options
    edited July 13, 2012
    Okay, I need some inputs. I don't know what is happening. Let me describe:

a) I have a tool pb2smug.exe that is a command line tool that uploads galleries to smugmug
    b) I have a tool called pb2smuggui.exe that is a GUI for this - it invokes pb2smug.exe to do the real work

Both of these exes are actually perl scripts, made into an EXE with PAR

The problem:
    When I run pb2smug.exe directly from the command line it works like a charm
    When pb2smuggui invokes pb2smug.exe (using perl system($string)) pb2smug fails to login to Smugmum with the "Cannot connect to api.smugmug.com 500 error". The return code is -2

What could be the problem? pb2smuggui.exe also invokes a different tool to download pbase galleries called pbgrab.exe and that works great, so I am pretty sure its something to do with how Smugmug APIs work - and this one exe calling another is messing up something.

Any expert insights?
  • Options
    MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    arjunrc wrote: »
    Okay, I need some inputs. I don't know what is happening. Let me describe:

a) I have a tool pb2smug.exe that is a command line tool that uploads galleries to smugmug
    b) I have a tool called pb2smuggui.exe that is a GUI for this - it invokes pb2smug.exe to do the real work

Both of these exes are actually perl scripts, made into an EXE with PAR

The problem:
    When I run pb2smug.exe directly from the command line it works like a charm
    When pb2smuggui invokes pb2smug.exe (using perl system($string)) pb2smug fails to login to Smugmum with the "Cannot connect to api.smugmug.com 500 error". The return code is -2

What could be the problem? pb2smuggui.exe also invokes a different tool to download pbase galleries called pbgrab.exe and that works great, so I am pretty sure its something to do with how Smugmug APIs work - and this one exe calling another is messing up something.

Any expert insights?

If the pb2smug.exe works from command line I can't see how this is directly related to our API. To me it sounds like the UI launches your pb2smug.exe differently than running it directly from command line.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2012
    Well the UI launches 2 files - pb2smug.exe that uses SM APIs and pbgrab that does not. pb2smug fails with 500 trying to log into SM. pbgrab also uses cookies/HTTP calls, etc. to log into PBase that works.
    The SM login does not.

So I am looking for clues.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2012
    Ok, never mind - I eliminated the multi program approach. No idea why that was happening.