Options

autoresizing in smugmug

macheckmacheck Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 19, 2012 in SmugMug Support
dear all,

i have smugmug galleries with the style Smugmug - Basic- Black.
I would like to have the front picture being resized (enlarged) to screen size.
at the moment it is not even 100% although my window has plenty
of space left. in advanced settings resizing is ON.

checkout: macheck.smugmug.com
most pictures will not even go to 100%

any hints?

Cheers,
Nikolaus

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    macheck wrote: »
    dear all,

i have smugmug galleries with the style Smugmug - Basic- Black.
    I would like to have the front picture being resized (enlarged) to screen size.
    at the moment it is not even 100% although my window has plenty
    of space left. in advanced settings resizing is ON.

checkout: macheck.smugmug.com
    most pictures will not even go to 100%

any hints?

Cheers,
    Nikolaus
    I checked your first gallery and your originals are Large size and that's the largest that will show in lightbox.
    Even stretching the browser will only produce a large size. You'll have to upload a lot bigger size original to
    have up to a X3 display size. Then you can turn off originals.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2012
    if you click at the images they get a little bigger (100%).
    100% view would be great but also more than 100% if
    the window gets bigger. the thing is you don´t even get
    the 100% size......
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    As Al mentioned, your photos seem to be uploaded in a rather small size. For example this one:
    http://macheck.smugmug.com/Other/Brazil-2009/23895297_gmPwBF#!i=1957510481&k=2LHWxdM
    is only 892x374 pixel. We cannot display the photo in any larger size than you upload it in.
    To be able to view your photos larger, you would have to upload them in a larger size.

If that's not what you refer to, maybe you have details enabled? In that case you would have to click on "hide details" first to be able to view photos larger:
    20120716144607-01496x0714246.jpg
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    dear sebastian,

your screenshot also shows this particular picture in a smaller size. it is not 374 px high?!
    only if you click on it it gets 100% size. i do not have any view details option.

try other pictures and you will get the same issue.

nikolaus
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited July 17, 2012
    your screenshot also shows this particular picture in a smaller size. it is not 374 px high?!
    only if you click on it it gets 100% size.
    As Allen and Sebastian already said, your photos are too small. Upload larger images.

In SmugMug style, the photo on the left is sized based on the available space in the browser window. If I switch the viewing style to Journal, the largest size is shown. But your largest size is quite small.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    okay i see.....

then the problem emerges: how can you prevent people copying high res pictures from the gallery?
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    then the problem emerges: how can you prevent people copying high res pictures from the gallery?
    Set the largest display size (in your galleries) to something other than Original.

I have my largest display size set to X3Large. Other people choose a smaller size.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    denise, how did you prevent drag and drop on your fotogallery to prevent copying pictures?
    nice landscapes by the way!
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2012
    denise, how did you prevent drag and drop on your fotogallery to prevent copying pictures?
    nice landscapes by the way!
    Thanks!

I didn't do anything to prevent drag and drop. I did enable right click protection. That doesn't really protect anything since a screen shot is always available but it does make a statement (of sorts). More thoughts at ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

You need to find a balance between protecting your photos and providing a large enough size that viewers can enjoy your photos. With today's large screen monitors I want people to be able to see large sizes of my photos. I have set the largest size on my site to X3Large - the originals are not shown, but every other size is available for viewing. And I upload a high resolution copy of my photo.

Take a look at the chart at the bottom of this help page to see the minimum resolutions for printing - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93359.

--- Denise