Options

DRebel firmware?

{JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
edited July 1, 2004 in Cameras
Being the disciplined geek I am, I was faithfully reading slashdot.org last night and saw a cool article. Someone has hacked the Digital Rebel firmware to give it most of the functions that it's higher priced 10D sibling has. All of these hacks are software related, so don't expect to be able to capture more FPS, but it looks interesting:

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html

Before I test this out on my own Rebel, has anyone else tried - if so how is it working?

JT

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    it's been out for a good while ....
    {JT} wrote:
    Being the disciplined geek I am, I was faithfully reading slashdot.org last night and saw a cool article. Someone has hacked the Digital Rebel firmware to give it most of the functions that it's higher priced 10D sibling has. All of these hacks are software related, so don't expect to be able to capture more FPS, but it looks interesting:

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html

Before I test this out on my own Rebel, has anyone else tried - if so how is it working?

JT

this is version 2? of the hack. lots are using it, apparantly with no trouble.

much more poop here:
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2004
    I guess today I will take the plunge and upgrade the firmware, thanks!
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    firmware hack
    {JT} wrote:
    I guess today I will take the plunge and upgrade the firmware, thanks!
    Please let us know how it turned out! I was talked into a dRebel over the 10D, and sometimes I wish I had bought the 10D. Mirror lock, and RAW+JPG modes, plus better AF tracking alone might have been worth the money.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    Wow
    For some reason this makes me all school girl giddy. MLU, that is cool and 1/3200 will be interesting to use. I don't know what this servo mode is they are talking about. Interesting stuff.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 2, 2004
    That first link isn't working, Andy's link to the dpreview discussion is, but I can't find a link to the download there

Andy: is there another place to get such magic???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    Linkage
    http://www.rebelwithaclue.net/

They have it all there
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2004
    I upgraded the firmware the same exact way that I upgraded with the official 1.1.1 Canon release. Everything appears to be 100% normal, so that is good! I am reading about all the new options and what they all mean eek7.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    Hmmm...I wonder when they're going to create a hack that turns the drebel plastic body into magnesium?

rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hmmm...I wonder when they're going to create a hack that turns the drebel plastic body into magnesium?

rolleyes1.gif
    umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 3, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    umph.gif

holy crap, you mean i've been using a plastic camera?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    Back to the thread... Is there anyone else who doesn't think voiding the warranty is really worth it?

I think I definitely don't need ISO 3200 - the 1600 is already shitty enough. If you want it that bad, just underexpose one stop in raw and bump it back up - I'm sure PS will put in just as much noise as the camera would at 3200.

MLU: can someone explain why I need this? For cleaning the sensor, right? With my luck, I'd just leave it locked up accidentally - or the hack would f up - and then I'd mess up my sensor when switching lenses. I say this because just recently I've noticed how disgusting my viewfinder and mirror are, but my images are still beautiful, which means the system does a pretty good job of keeping the sensor covered up. This is good.

AF: I can't read up all the details on the hack, but this is potentially the only benefit I'd really use. How good is the hack? Anyone?

But when it comes down to it, the reason I lust for a 10D (or better) is the speed. No hack can give me that, so in my reasoning, better to have a warranty with my Drebel. Speaking of which: how long is the factory warranty? one year?
    Erik

• Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    {JT} wrote:
    I upgraded the firmware the same exact way that I upgraded with the official 1.1.1 Canon release. Everything appears to be 100% normal, so that is good! I am reading about all the new options and what they all mean eek7.gif
    It's been a while now, still happy with it?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    so far so good :)
    Tried the mirror lockup once and worked out fine, so far everything is golden thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    there is such a hack:
    fish wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

1) sell rebel (i just sold mine for $50 less than i paid for it)

2) buy 10d (pricing is great! about $1250 thereabouts from reputable dealers)

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

MLU: can someone explain why I need this? For cleaning the sensor, right?

There is another purpose to mirror lock up. At slower shutter speeds the actuall vibration from the mirror going up can resonate long enough to cause motion blur in you images. For landscape work many recommend composing your shot, then locking up the mirror, waiting a vew seconds and then shooting for sharper images.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    andy wrote:
    1) sell rebel (i just sold mine for $50 less than i paid for it)

2) buy 10d (pricing is great! about $1250 thereabouts from reputable dealers)

rolleyes1.gif

Congrats on the new 10D. If it weren't for the D70 coming out a few months ago, I would have gotten one myself. What kind of lenses do you have so far?

Dave