Options

los molinos wind mill at night c&c plz

skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited July 19, 2012 in Landscapes
DSC09160-001-L.jpg

los molinos windmill is over 200 years old this is a 94 second exposure i want to try this longer for a better star trail i would like to have spome c and c on this so i can do something diffrent if need be thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    well i just found out today that to do star trails you have to take multiple pics. i read where people have taken 700 pics and then merged them all together to get the star trails.

i think the pic you have now is nice but doing the star trail behind the old wind mill would look great..
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    skippy77 wrote: »

los molinos windmill is over 200 years old this is a 94 second exposure i want to try this longer for a better star trail i would like to have spome c and c on this so i can do something diffrent if need be thanks in advance

Nice sunset colors.

If you are in the Canary islands, you should have good dark skies for star trails, I would think. At this angle on the windmill, are you shooting towards any of the larger cities? I don't know the geography there ne_nau.gif

If you don't have a lot of city sky light, then you should be ok with making longer exposures for the star trails. Am I right that this is taken looking south? I'd try a longer exposure at 50mm, just to see what it looks like, but I think if you went with a wider focal length, you'd emphasize the parallelism of the arcing of the stars, and the blades of the windmill.

Experiment with the shutter/ISO/aperture values, you can look up plenty of potential combinations that people use online, but it all depends on what you want out of the shot, where you are, and what the ambient light is like, and how much of the ambient light you want to incorporate.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 19, 2012
    skippy77 wrote: »

I think the photo is very appealing, Skippy. It's really not a nighttime shot per se, is it? There still seems to be a lot of ambient light although it's not objectionable.
    racefan wrote: »
    well i just found out today that to do star trails you have to take multiple pics.

Nah. :nah One can certainly do star trails with a single photo. Here's a link to an image with a one-hour exposure. http://www.jacara.com/cpg144/albums/death_valley/IMG_4393.jpg

You can also do star trails by stacking multiple images. It produces less-noisy images, which is especially useful for capturing the trails during very long intervals. But you can usually see small gaps in trails during the short intervals between shots, so there's a trade-off there as well.
  • Options
    skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    i shot the picture with my 50mm minolta prime lens 94s yes i was facing south it was pitch black when i took the shot i was at f1.7