Options

How do I disable keywords from my site?

GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
edited October 9, 2013 in SmugMug Support
As you are aware, there is a bug in the gallery caption/keyword tool. But that is not the reason for my question.

I do not want keywords on my site at all. But rather than use the tool (after it is fixed) to delete all keywords from all galleries, I'd like to simply disable them. Is there a setting somewhere? I cannot find one. If a CSS statement would work I'd do that too.

I tried putting .notLoggedIn #photoKeywords {display:none;} into my CSS but that didn't do anything.

Note that I have a customized site from before "easy customization" was created, but I use a Smugmug template (Dark Arts) for the galleries themselves. Link is in my signature.

Best regards,
Gary
SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    As you are aware, there is a bug in the gallery caption/keyword tool. But that is not the reason for my question.

I do not want keywords on my site at all. But rather than use the tool (after it is fixed) to delete all keywords from all galleries, I'd like to simply disable them. Is there a setting somewhere? I cannot find one. If a CSS statement would work I'd do that too.

I tried putting .notLoggedIn #photoKeywords {display:none;} into my CSS but that didn't do anything.

Note that I have a customized site from before "easy customization" was created, but I use a Smugmug template (Dark Arts) for the galleries themselves. Link is in my signature.

Best regards,
    Gary
    Your keywords are not showing in your galleries so that CSS worked. But they do show on your keyword page. /keyword
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    Go to account settings>discoverability and in search, turn google and smugmug search off.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2012
    Allen,

I am still seeing keywords under photos. Example:
    http://bakkers.smugmug.com/Travelogues/Burma/24189492_FtcHDk#!i=1967338450&k=FHC4W6W

But after I make Andy's change I suppose I will have no way of proving it. :)

Andy,

So turning off discoverability disables keywords? I guess that makes some sense. I didn't really connect those two things in my mind before.

Thanks to both of you. I really didn't expect a quick response on a Sunday night.

Best regards,
    Gary
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2012
    OK, I made the discoverability changes and maybe no future keywords will be created. But how do I remove the keywords from all my galleries? I don't want them to show up under each photo.

Gary
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2012
    OK, I made the discoverability changes and maybe no future keywords will be created. But how do I remove the keywords from all my galleries? I don't want them to show up under each photo.

Gary
    The only way I know is in each gallery go to tools > edit keywords/captions and remove the keywords.

Or on the /keyword page clicking each keyword and doing the same but you have many keywords,
    probably many more then the number of galleries.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012

Gary
    Turning search off, keywords will still be added for you as the owner and existing keywords will also be available for you to search as the logged in owner, but visitors and search engines won't see them anymore nor would your site be searchable for visitors (that is if you choose the SmugMug search 'no - total lockdown' setting). You can find out more on the search settings here.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    I guess I will have to go one-by-one through all my galleries and remove keywords. As long as the gallery is less than 495 photos I'll be OK using the tool. For larger galleries I'll have to do it manually photo-by-photo (until the software bug is fixed). Ugh.

What would meet my desires would be that my galleries would be searchable, but not have the "keyword caption" clutter up my gallery pages (I'm using Smugmug format). I don't have a problem with Smugmug tracking keywords to enable searching, I just don't want them showing on the page.

Oh well. What seems easy, never is.
  • Options
    Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    Yep, this code should work for that if you have it in the right spot (advanced customization > CSS):

.notLoggedIn #photoKeywords {display: none;}

That code works on my site but I'm seeing those keywords under that photo you mentioned so I'd be curious where the mistake is.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    Interesting. Thanks Pure Energy for checking it out.

Maybe I have the CSS code in the wrong spot? Here is the first part of my CSS. Is it maybe because I am using a standard Smugmug template for the actual gallery display? Only my home page and each menu sub-page is customized.
    /* customized banner */
    #my_banner {
    width: 910px;
    height: 100px;
    background: url(http://bakkers.smugmug.com/photos/142056186-O.jpg) no-repeat;
    margin: 0 auto;
    }

.notLoggedIn #photoKeywords {display:none;}

#mainImage {
    position: static;
    }

/* to make links in captions a hover color */
    #caption, .caption a:hover {color: #48f;cursor: pointer;}

/* different banners for each category */
    .category_Travelogues #my_banner {
        background: url(http://bakkers.smugmug.com/photos/142056154-O.jpg) no-repeat;
    }

• Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    That code works on my site but I'm seeing those keywords under that photo you mentioned so I'd be curious where the mistake is.
    He does not have "Custom" set for appearance on the gallery settings page so for that gallery so the CSS is disabled.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    Yep. Just what I suspected Allen. That answers Pure Energy's rumination.

In case you're wondering why I have a customized site but use a standard gallery display, is that I made my customized banners so large that it reduces the size of the displayed photo too much.

I wanted the photos to appear as large as possible so I went with a simple gallery display.

Ah yes. Life is all about trade-offs. But it sure would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.

Is there a way for me to have a customized gallery that looks just like Dark Arts?

Gary
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    Yep. Just what I suspected Allen. That answers Pure Energy's rumination.

In case you're wondering why I have a customized site but use a standard gallery display, is that I made my customized banners so large that it reduces the size of the displayed photo too much.

I wanted the photos to appear as large as possible so I went with a simple gallery display.

Ah yes. Life is all about trade-offs. But it sure would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.

Is there a way for me to have a customized gallery that looks just like Dark Arts?

Gary
    Be easy enough to enable your CSS and hide the banner on the Smugmug style gallery pages. At least
    your navbar would show. That way your increased vertical space would still be there.

Probably as simple as this.
    .smugmug #my_banner {display:none;}
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    Good tip Allen. I will try that and see what happens.

Gary
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Gary, if you hide keywords in CSS, Google and other search engines may ignore them as well. Google usually doesn't take into account stuff visitors cannot see.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2012
    Thanks rainforest. If I have to choose, I'll choose visual simplicity over searchability. After all, mine is not a commercial site. Simply a repository of personal photos for friends and family.

Allen, your suggestion worked. After adding the CSS it took me awhile to figure out how to mass change all the galleries to custom rather than Smugmug, but finally got it done. Thanks!

Gary

PS -- There may be some isolated nay-sayers amongst your user-base, but I have always found Smugmug's customer service to be extraordinary. Responsive and reliable. Top-notch.
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    Thanks rainforest. If I have to choose, I'll choose visual simplicity over searchability. After all, mine is not a commercial site. Simply a repository of personal photos for friends and family.

Allen, your suggestion worked. After adding the CSS it took me awhile to figure out how to mass change all the galleries to custom rather than Smugmug, but finally got it done. Thanks!

Gary

PS -- There may be some isolated nay-sayers amongst your user-base, but I have always found Smugmug's customer service to be extraordinary. Responsive and reliable. Top-notch.

Hey Gary, I wonder if you could share how you did a mass change to custom? When I click on multiple gallery settings, the appearance line that had the sumgmug/custom choice for single galleries no longer shows up.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    synature wrote: »
    Hey Gary, I wonder if you could share how you did a mass change to custom? When I click on multiple gallery settings, the appearance line that had the sumgmug/custom choice for single galleries no longer shows up.
    Hmmm. I'm going to have to do some playing around with the site again. Off the top of my head, I can't remember how I did it.

As my post says, it took me awhile to figure it out. Let's see if I can figure it out again.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2013
    Under gallery settings, at the very top you should see where you choose to apply the setting changes to multiple galleries.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    I guess I will have to go one-by-one through all my galleries and remove keywords. As long as the gallery is less than 495 photos I'll be OK using the tool. For larger galleries I'll have to do it manually photo-by-photo (until the software bug is fixed). Ugh.

What would meet my desires would be that my galleries would be searchable, but not have the "keyword caption" clutter up my gallery pages (I'm using Smugmug format). I don't have a problem with Smugmug tracking keywords to enable searching, I just don't want them showing on the page.

Oh well. What seems easy, never is.

I agree. The key words should be able to be hidden. I do not want to remove them for search purposes but I don't want them under each photo either for everyone to see.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Jamfore wrote: »
    I agree. The key words should be able to be hidden. I do not want to remove them for search purposes but I don't want them under each photo either for everyone to see.

So, use some simple css to hide them. Post in the customizing forum for how-to. It takes all of 5 seconds to do it.