Options

Carrying lots of gear

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited July 24, 2012 in Accessories
There are times when I need to take a lot of gear with me for a given shoot. I have always preferred a shoulder bag, but as my collection of f2.8 glass grows, I find that the bags just can't fit everything I need. I currently have a Tamrac super pro 613. There is one size bigger, but I am not sure if it will even work. When I am on the road, I typically take multiple lenses (70-200, 24-70, 11-16, macro, couple primes etc), and at least one speedlight, sometimes two.

I don't always carry all this equipment, and when traveling light, I use a messenger bag which works great. But there are times when I know I will be shooting a variety and need the above equipment. I am wondering if I should move to a roller bag. I think they have a lot of room.

I am interested to know what works for everyone.

thx, Jim

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 22, 2012
    Fstop Gear Loka. With the medium insert.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    LowePro Magnum AW Series (200, 400, 650) if you don't insist on using a backpack. I use the 650, it carries so much stuff I can hardly lift the darn thing when it's fully loaded. Once lifted however, it is carried with great comfort.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    LowePro Magnum AW Series (200, 400, 650) if you don't insist on using a backpack. I use the 650, it carries so much stuff I can hardly lift the darn thing when it's fully loaded. Once lifted however, it is carried with great comfort.

I have a backpack and use it fairly often. but when going to an event shoot, I prefer a shoulder bag. As far as this bag goes, I sometimes worry about placing the cameras lens down. Seems riskier than a bag that has a bridge. Has this worked out for you?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    I have a backpack and use it fairly often. but when going to an event shoot, I prefer a shoulder bag. As far as this bag goes, I sometimes worry about placing the cameras lens down. Seems riskier than a bag that has a bridge. Has this worked out for you?

Yes it has. The Bags have a hard shell on the bottom and good padding inside. The bags also come
    with a set of custom shaped dividers that are designed to hold up to two gripped camera (by the grip) with
    a lens facing down. It's very convenient really to have two cameras in that position in one bag.

Strictly speaking they are "soft" bags, but in reality they are quite rigid which goes to the extend that
    you could stack multiple ones on top of each other fully loaded.

To get an impression of the built and handling of this bag check out this video Magnum AW at Photo Plus Expo 2009
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston