deleted for privacy

laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited August 17, 2017 in People
deleted for privacy

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    Like #1 and #4 a lot - great feel and personality from those. The processing works well for them, too. My only real query is to wonder if you were using a wide-ish focal length? I'm seeing some distortion....
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Like #1 and #4 a lot - great feel and personality from those. The processing works well for them, too. My only real query is to wonder if you were using a wide-ish focal length? I'm seeing some distortion....

Thanks! That's odd though, these were all shot at 50mm on a D700. Tell me where you see distortion, I definitely want to correct it!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    I personally prefer shooting headshots with a short (or even long) telephoto - the compression is usually very flattering. I will use a 50mm on a crop camera when I'm in tight spaces, and consider that about as wide as I'lll usually go and would always prefer a longer focal length. If you have a longer lens, give it a try - 85-200 is going to be much more flattering to the human face. Look at #1 - great shot, but see how big his head is from nose upward, vs how small his mouth from nose downward? He does have a pretty steep forehead, but if you look at #5, you can see he has a lot more chin/mouth than you get in #1. I actually love #1 as a shot, but just something to watch out for. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2012
    You're absolutely right. I rented the D700 for a wedding I shot the day before, and I picked up a 24-70 to go with it but not a telephoto. I didn't know I would be doing this shoot til the day of, and I figured I'd use the full frame body since I had it for another day! Normally I would've been shooting with the 50 on my D90, which would've been/felt longer. Oh well, next time :) Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    FWIW...

70 mm works pretty good with the d700 for shoulder length head shots. For tight heads I like my 105 prime.
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    I REALLy like #4. My only small nitpick, is that the blue background is missing from under his raised arm, leaving a black area.
    Apart from that, I think it is a fabulous shot. He looks very natural and the PP looks lovely.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    Love 1 & 4, mostly 4!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    4 for me, better if his chin had been up a bit more.
    The first three have distortion, the last the horizon through the head.
    He has a relatively big forehead, do you have any shots of him from a lower angle.
    The processing looks promising.
    I like the energy/personality coming through in 3 and 4.