Starburst effect

slumberingpaladinslumberingpaladin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 27, 2012 in Technique
I have 2 cameras, 1 is a Casio EX Z1000 that has a starburst effect as one of its pre-programmed "best shots".
I just recently got a Panasonic DMC-LX3 from a friend who is graduating to a DSLR, and would like to know if it is possible to create that effect manually. I've tried searching on google but the discussions seem to be geared to preventing the effect.

Partial specs on the camera are

Lens LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMICRON
8 elements in 6 groups (4 Aspherical lenses / 4 Aspherical surfaces)

Focal Distance f = 5.1 - 12.8 mm (35 mm Equivalent: 24 - 60 mm)

Comments

• HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    Generally, you want to use the smallest aperture you can, such as shooting f/22 and aim towards the sun. It is the light moving through the aperture that produces the effect.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 25, 2012
    Helvegr is giving good advice. Additionally, you can add a "star effect" in Photoshop using star-shaped or cross-shaped brushes. That's how this image was made:

87060726_XVRs8-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 27, 2012
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Generally, you want to use the smallest aperture you can, such as shooting f/22 and aim towards the sun. It is the light moving through the aperture that produces the effect.

I agree with a small aperture, but have achieved success with f14 on a crop body, and even f8 on a point and shoot body. A prime wide angle lens is better, with sharper stars than a zoom. An additional tip is to not include all of the sun, but just a small slice in the image, 1/4 or even less, seems to help.

f22, 24mm T&S

308506276_jSy3N-XL.jpg

f8 7.4mm EOS G9 P&S - not a great shot, but shows that it can be done with a P&S in manual mode

252958447_LpABQ-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin