Options

Christmas backdrop suggestions?

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited July 31, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Its my goal to get 2 or 3 new backdrops for Christmas, the past few years I have tried using a real tree but my actual backdrop options were pretty basic and I am trying to improve upon that and get more customers this year.

I checked out dennymfg but their Christmas selection is rather lacking, other than an outside door one, but that would require to be an 8x10 with 8 being the width. If I were to spend the extra money and get an 8x10 I would prefer it to be horizontal to fit more people.

I would a really nice and classy looking fireplace set for one backdrop.

For another perhaps a winter wonderland, I loved the scene from the first narnia movie but that might be a bit dated now.

And for a 3rd perhaps a nice looking Christmas tree one that is wide, 10x8.

Any suggestions? My budget for this is around $300. Right now denny has a descent sale, 6x8's for half price and 40% off 8x10's and since im a club member I save a tiny bit more and close to free shipping.

Comments

• Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Have you checked out: http://www.backdropoutlet.com ?
    They seem to have a lot of different styles and the prices are resonable.
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    I know you probably won't be open to the idea but why bother with multiple backgrounds?
    What's more, WTF would you want a fire place setting for in the middle of Summer when it's 40o in the shade?

There's only one background you need and its a semi Fluro green all over. You can change it to what ever background you want, indoor fire place, Beach ( a lot more appropriate!) tropical island, Night skyline, Moon and stars..... you name it.
    And you can buy Disks with 500 backgrounds on them for a few bucks or even download them.

To my way of thinking, the ease of using green screen and the benefits of it make traditional backgrounds a bit outdated like Video tapes these days.
    Green screen is so versatile, I'm even beginning to use it under water!
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    I guess people in the Northern Hemisphere likes fireplaces in the WINTER :D Its a Christmas thing for us. :) And I dont want to spend time in photoshop for every single portrait. Time is money. :)

So my goal is to have 3 traditional North American Christmas backgrounds. :) I plan to do blue screen/green screen/gray screen *depends on the recommendation you read* eventually but if these backdrops can save me hours in photoshop which lets me spend hours with my family, why not. :)
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    Backdropoutlet sure has a lot of options and the prices seem reasonable, but the videos they put up doesnt make them look professional, but that is compared to denny and the videos ive seen from them. :)
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    I guess people in the Northern Hemisphere likes fireplaces in the WINTER :D Its a Christmas thing for us. :) And I dont want to spend time in photoshop for every single portrait. Time is money. :)

So my goal is to have 3 traditional North American Christmas backgrounds. :) I plan to do blue screen/green screen/gray screen *depends on the recommendation you read* eventually but if these backdrops can save me hours in photoshop which lets me spend hours with my family, why not. :)

You don't need to spend hours in photoshop if you use the right program.
    I can punch out 300 prints a night with green screen and I sure as hell don't need to spend hours photoshopping everything. Matter of fact, I don't Photoshop ANYTHING with the GS shots.
    Anyway, whatever suits you best.

How many sittings you hoping to get for this promo?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    Three per hour. I figure 10 min for the pictures, 5 min for the picture selection and hopefully some additional sales. and 5 min to cleanup, catchup, etc. I hate rushed session so im giving myself some breathing room. The number of hours, hopefully all day, but Ill start off booking 5pm till 9pm and when that gets full Ill book up 4pm, 3pm, etc.

so you dont photoshop anything? no wrinkle reduction? no lines under the eyes, no acne? I think we may have a different standard in quality. :)
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Three per hour. I figure 10 min for the pictures, 5 min for the picture selection and hopefully some additional sales. and 5 min to cleanup, catchup, etc. I hate rushed session so im giving myself some breathing room. The number of hours, hopefully all day, but Ill start off booking 5pm till 9pm and when that gets full Ill book up 4pm, 3pm, etc.

so you dont photoshop anything? no wrinkle reduction? no lines under the eyes, no acne? I think we may have a different standard in quality. :)

And ten minutes for photos? I Know we have a different standard! :D
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    And ten minutes for photos? I Know we have a different standard! :D

I was talking about my Christmas special that I hope to do in September.

My normal portrait sessions are 1 hour or 2 hours, and once in a while 3 hours. I prefer the 2-3 hour sessions for seniors. :) I did a 2.5 hour baby portrait the other day and im doing part 2 later this week. :D
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012

Well I Know we have different standard in what constitutes a successful business and promotion but I fail to see how shooting on a printed back ground is going to eliminate doing the retouching you are talking about where green screen would require more time spent on it??

Greenscreen won't do the retouching you speak of for you, I was under the impression if you wanted to muck around with that you would have to waste the same amount of time on it Wether the BG you used was greenscreen or a traditional type.

If there is some new magic scenic background that does the retouching you speak of, I'd sure be interested in getting some of those myself!!

And no, I don't retouch the work I do on green screen.
    Shock Horror!

Despite this I sell hundreds of prints a night and nearly always get a lead for another job from every GS event I do based on the happy feedback and impressed clients.
    I know there is a preoccupation with shooters on forums that you can't possibly let a client see a pic that hasn't been retouched into the hands of the public . As incredible as it is, my preoccupation is with making money not trying to create pretty perfect pictures has worked well so far from a business perspective. Given that I'm yet to have anyone comment on the lack of retouching but dozens comment how much they like the pics ( unfathomable as must be to so many) I'll just keep winging it with these questionable standard quality pics. rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, it was just a suggestion I thought may be of more use to others than yourself so hopefully It might give someone a heads up.

Being I'm always ready to learn and change, I'd be really interested to compare what you make out of this on an hourly rate and an all up promotion.
    If you can make more in a night or day with retouching the pics than I do just shooting them on out, I'll certainly be happy to revise my ways and start retouching everything I take as well. :D
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    Whats a gs event? I feel like I should know it but its not coming to mind.
    Glort wrote: »
    I fail to see how shooting on a printed back ground is going to eliminate doing the retouching you are talking about where green screen would require more time spent on it??

Greenscreen won't do the retouching you speak of for you, I was under the impression if you wanted to muck around with that you would have to waste the same amount of time on it Wether the BG you used was greenscreen or a traditional type.

I think theres been a misunderstanding?
    Glort wrote: »
    Matter of fact, I don't Photoshop ANYTHING with the GS shots.

You said you dont photoshop anything when you use green screen, I assume that means anything on the subjects? Or are you just talking about the background? I didnt say shooting on a normal background will prevent that work, I was just referring to your comment that you dont photoshop anything.

I cant imagine not removing the subjects acne, or the heavy lines under the eyes, etc. Of course my main focus is senior portraits and this is something that the girls love. :)

there are two types of photographers. the artists first and the business man first. you can be the best photographer in the world and if you suck at business you will be poor. You could be the worst photographer but if you are the best busienss man you can do awesome! I am trying to get a balance of the two. I want to produce shots that I would be happy with. Make a good living and produce work that I am proud of.