Options

Private gallery viewable when not logged in

tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited October 15, 2005 in SmugMug Support
One of my galleries is clearly marked as a private gallery, yet is displayed publicly on the home page (not via direct link) when not logged in. I have checked it on two different computers. IE cache has been emptied.

Why could this be?

Under Public yes/no, no is checked on the customize gallery page for this gallery, yet it can be seen publicly.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Private is only hidden, but still accessible
    One of my galleries is clearly marked as a private gallery, yet is displayed publicly when not logged in. I have checked it on two different computers. IE cache has been emptied.

Why could this be?

Under Public yes/no, no is checked on the customize gallery page for this gallery, yet it can be seen publicly.

Any ideas??
    Setting a gallery to private only removes it from your home page when you are logged out and removes it from search (essentially hiding it from public view). If you or anyone else has the URL to the private gallery, it can be viewed by anyone at any time.

If you want real security, then you need to put a password on the gallery.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    private galleries are only viewable if the viewer knows the actual gallery number (url of the gallery). you can find more info on the linked help page. as the above poster suggests, you can go one step further and password protect if you like...

hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2005
    Thanks, Andy
    I wasn't accessing it from a url. It was visible on the home page, and I was positive I was logged out.

It magically disappeared after smugsmug came back up after the outage last night.

It's just plain strange.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    It will remain viewable to you for a while even if you logged out. I always check another
    browser, i.e. IE, to see if it is really there. I htink it's usally only a cookie thing and will
    disapear after awhile. This happens to private galleries in sharegroups also, showing up/accessable
    from front page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    It will remain viewable to you for a while even if you logged out. I always check another
    browser, i.e. IE, to see if it is really there. I htink it's usally only a cookie thing and will
    disapear after awhile. This happens to private galleries in sharegroups also, showing up/accessable
    from front page.
    Yeah I think it's a feature in sharegroups that you don't have to enter the password for the next seven days or something like that.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    If I want to see what a gallery looks like to an first-time outsider, the first thing I do on my various browsers is blow away all the smugmug cookies. The cookies store size preferences, viewed sharegroups, username if they were ever logged in, and the referral code if they clicked it. Possibly more, those are just the ones I noticed.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Easier to just use a 2nd browser
    colourbox wrote:
    If I want to see what a gallery looks like to an first-time outsider, the first thing I do on my various browsers is blow away all the smugmug cookies. The cookies store size preferences, viewed sharegroups, username if they were ever logged in, and the referral code if they clicked it. Possibly more, those are just the ones I noticed.
    It's even easier to just keep a 2nd browser around. I run Firefox as my main browser and whenever I want to see what the rest of the world will see, I just fire up IE. I never log in to anything on IE and it's easy to just wipe all history and cookies on a browser I don't use except for testing. Pick any two from the combination of Firefox, IE and Opera. Use one as your main browser and the other as your test browser that has none of your state.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    It's even easier to just keep a 2nd browser around. I run Firefox as my main browser and whenever I want to see what the rest of the world will see, I just fire up IE. I never log in to anything on IE and it's easy to just wipe all history and cookies on a browser I don't use except for testing. Pick any two from the combination of Firefox, IE and Opera. Use one as your main browser and the other as your test browser that has none of your state.

--John
    Good idea. Duly noted.