Options

The west of Ireland

CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
edited August 4, 2012 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi,

I'm heading to the western side of Ireland in late September for a week. All vacation, with time to shoot :wink

I'm flying into Shannon and will have the wife and son with me so driving 2,000 km during the week isn't really an option. Though some reasonable driving (say, a few hundred km of driving with 2-3 different B&B's during the week) is what I'm probably up for.

Which means I'd probably pick either the Southwest (Killarney National Park and regional area), or the Northwest (perhaps up into Northern Ireland). Anybody done extensive time shooting in the area and have pointers to some places to look? Need to get on the ball a bit before the wife freaks out because we don't have all the lodging picked out 2 months ahead and just goes and books something :D

Comments

• Options
    TontoTonto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    Hi CatOne, over on the sister site, adv.com, there was a post awhile back for an Ireland Photo Rally which gave photo locations, these might be of some use to you in planning your trip.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550946&highlight=ireland+photo+rally

If you sign up to the site and ask for help in the U.K regionals section I'm sure you will get a response, don't worry if you don't ride a motorbike we are quite nice people really and don't bite.

Ira
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    I loved the west coast of Ireland, although it's been several years since I've been there so exact locations are fading now. Cliffs of Moher is an obvious stop, and while it is a tourist location they are big and majestic enough to get some good shots without being elbowed off the edge.

Haven't been to the southwest, more the northwest. We loved Galway (if you're into city stuff), Ennis, Sligo, falconing at Ashford Castle, and just driving along the coast offered so many great opportunities to stop and shoot.

I'd definitely go back. At the time I was using my very first digital camera and didn't know how to use it -- plus we were there in November so there was very little light to be had.

Have a great time!
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    Excellent, thanks for the info, both! Looks like I have a little more digging to do now mwink.gif