Options

was five years enough???

sfausfau Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 6, 2012 in Journeys
I have just returned home after 5 years of travelling in 24 counties across 4 continents. I thought I would share, not necessarily the best photographs I’ve taken but the ones which sum up each one of the countries that I visited.

France. After spending several weeks cycling across the country this was my last day in the country. Up in the Alps approaching the Italian border it was only a 20 mile climb to reach it!

i-VTsmfG7-L.jpg

Italy: Tuscany...need I say more!

i-Sp6J99R-L.jpg

Greece: it was hot, mountainous and arid. Here in Delphi the views were wonderful.

i-qfVLH9D-L.jpg

Turkey: if you like ruins, come to Turkey! You will be spoilt for choice. The people are warm and friendly (although in the hinterlands they are quite reserved and formal, well until you get to know them)

i-j4Hsjmm-L.jpg

Iran: culture shock is just the start, trying to cross a street in Tehran is even more so! Up in the mountains near Zoroastrian fire lakes, assassin’s castle and the Caspian sea are multi coloured landscapes where the donkey is the main form of transport.

i-XsNS9Cg-L.jpg

India: a huge, confusing, crowded and beguiling country. One thing that you will find nearly everywhere is a Tank. The monsoon waters are stored here and used for drinking and cooking. This one is at the ancient city of Hampi.

i-vh2ZQp4-L.jpg

Nepal: after the chaos of India, Nepal was a welcome change of pace! In the valley of Pohkara, life still revolves around the rice harvest.

i-sg4NbgS-L.jpg

Thailand: I spent all of my time in the north of the country up in the mountains and the golden triangle! So for me, Thailand is all about flowers, rivers and temples.

i-6rj5696-L.jpg

Malaysia: even though it is a Muslim country it is also a melting pot of western and eastern cultures. Here in Melaka you can find Chinese temples with the biggest josticks I’ve ever seen.

i-VwwWtf2-L.jpg

Indonesia: here on the island of Sumatra are vast swathes of virgin forest slowly being cut down for palm oil production. Hidden in the jungle are small scale rubber plantations providing much needed income for the local population.

i-VZr4cKS-L.jpg

USA: I spent a few weeks cycling across Utah, Arizona and the south of California. The arid landscapes were great but people that drive those large mobile homes really need to learn that it is okay to cross the line in the middle of the road when passing someone on a bike!!!!!!!!!

i-JrgzmPC-L.jpg

Mexico: despite all the problems with drug trade, Mexico is one of my favourite places. Away from the tourist hot spots life carries on as normal. In Mexico, normal is fiesta!

i-FqWvV36-L.jpg

Belize: deep in the jungle of this former English outpost is the Actun Tunichil Muknal cave. This is the entrance to the mythical Mayan underworld. Following the course of the river upstream into the darkness you come across offerings and sacrifices to the ancient gods

i-qK6kXSv-L.jpg

Guatemala: on the Mayan fortress island of Flores the streets were narrow and like the rest of the country the houses are all brightly painted.

i-bbvqVrg-L.jpg

Honduras: although this was the most disappointing country I had been to “tourist wise” it had some of the best landscapes in central America.

i-PXrJqGv-L.jpg

Nicaragua: great coffee, warm and welcoming people and painted houses that put Guatemala to shame.

i-Tsm3RsV-L.jpg

Costa Rica: in the highlands in the centre of the country, cloud forests and hummingbirds

i-vbfhw98-L.jpg

Panama: I didn't spend that long in the country. Yes it has highlands, cloud forests and beaches but I was looking forward to south America. I did hang out in Bocos del toro for a while...but sadly it was the wet season.

i-KmHDJkT-L.jpg

Colombia: even thought this country is full of grand colonial architecture and amazing landscapes for some reason I just loved all the different doors found along nearly every street.

i-dXfSQCV-L.jpg

Ecuador: in a small village in the north of the country I was lucky enough to take part in a Inti Rami festival. Costumes, drinking, dancing and later on in the evening chicken kissing!

i-qthCqqP-L.jpg

Peru: such an amazing land, with a richness of landscapes, history and people. However flying over the Nazca lines was such a rewarding experience (and I hate flying!!)

i-mf364X4-L.jpg

Bolivia: unlike the rest of South America, Bolivia had the least amount of European settlement. Here in the highland town of Sorata is the annual fiesta. Civic awards were being handed out and the women got together to gossip, clap and drink beer long into the night.

i-gjJjsnB-L.jpg

Argentina: in the north west of Argentina nestling along the Andes are large areas of cacti filled desert landscapes. Dotted along the famous “Ruta 40” are small villages, with white washed adobe buildings. Many of the buildings are, like this one, used by local artists selling arts and crafts to the passing tourists.

i-VsMTTBw-L.jpg

Chile: in the south of the country is Patagonia, a land filled of mountains and crystal clear lakes. Roads are few but great views are plentiful.

i-9SHR9Nw-L.jpg

Easter island: miles from anywhere, expensive to get to but absolutely gorgeous to visit.

i-nQdG3SK-L.jpg
“Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe”……Anatole France

www.sfauphotographs.com

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    << was five years enough??? >>

? ... maybe :)

pp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18910560
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2012
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbow
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2012
    and i thought i did well to travel for 5 years
    “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe”……Anatole France

www.sfauphotographs.com
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2012
    Thanks for the world wide tour!
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    Very interesting story and pictures sfau! Thanks for sharing. I would love to see more of Easter Island if you have them hosted somewhere or post here.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    divmedic4 wrote: »
    Very interesting story and pictures sfau! Thanks for sharing. I would love to see more of Easter Island if you have them hosted somewhere or post here.

photos start from here: http://www.sfauphotographs.com/World-views/chile-2012/23055510_26QfSG#!i=1905693414&k=3CbkzC4

video: http://youtu.be/3TxSB86GX6M

www.sfauphotographs.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 4, 2012
    A five year journey? Amazing! How will you return to "normal" life?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2012
    wow that was quick! :D
    5 years! amazing, will love to see more photos. Great post.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    A five year journey? Amazing! How will you return to "normal" life?

badly :cry

www.sfauphotographs.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    Great photos...and dialog. I'm sure everyone, like myself, is very envious. How is it that you were able financially to travel for that long...did you work along the way?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed